• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Confirmed to Be E10 Rated

Pretty much expected that, I think it will be awhile before we ever see another T rated Zelda game.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
While Twilight Princess was rated Teen, it wasn't that bad. I believe Skyward Sword will be much better though.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
SS looks like T material, but I guess they owe the E10 to the graphical style.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
SS looks like T material, but I guess they owe the E10 to the graphical style.

The official rating does not always entirely reflect the content anyway. Majora's Mask was rated E despite how thematically dark it was, which I would consider it is more-so than Twilight Princess despite the latter's T rating. Also, Nintendo has a way with slipping slightly questionable material into their games even with the E rating. Although they tightened up a bit about this when OoT3D took an E10+ rating as opposed to OoT's original E10 rating even after removal of all traces of blood (shadow temple, dead hand, bottom of the well) that had been present in the original, I would say not to underestimate the content that they'll be slipping in here. I'm sure Nintendo was actually just pushing for the E10+ rating so that from the public eye, it wouldn't alienate their younger audience; despite that, I wouldn't doubt that they're going to stick in their usual round of slightly controversial stuff that they like to get away with in their Zelda games. As to what in the first place might have leaned SS towards being T, I think people were considering it mostly on account of Ghirahim.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Precisely why I said they owe it to the graphical style. Majora's Mask was dark, had some material that was slightly controversial [Cremia's hug, chateau romani, the overall mood of the game, etc] but because the graphics and motions aren't necessarily realistic, it managed that E rating (though that is also in part because the ESRB wasn't as strict back then as it is now). TP got a T rating because it is more realistic, enemies react in a certain way, Great Fairy is basically naked, and other reasons. SS looks to be able to lend the darkness feel, but because the graphical style is lighthearted and the combat isn't as realistic as in Twilight Princess, its E10 rating has been given. What I'm trying to say is, the ESRB generally doesn't rate a game based upon its text, unless it has a good deal of language and the like.

Outside of Zelda, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep got an E10, and I quote word for word the initial review the ESRB had for it:
This is a role-playing game in which players assume the role of one of three characters aspiring to become a "Keyblade" master. Players explore fantasy worlds, perform missions and mini-games, and battle various enemies along the way. Characters use magic spells and a giant key-shaped sword to attack enemies (e.g., humans, ice golems, dragons, magical suits of armor) in melee-style combat. Enemies react to damage by crying out in pain or bursting into small orbs that serve as items and power-ups for players. One cutscene depicts a man sinking a keyblade into his chest as a burst of light appears. A female character's breasts jiggle slightly during cutscenes.
http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=28937

Clearly shows that the ESRB pays more attention to animation/graphics than the theme of the game.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
I agree entirely. Basically, the ESRB rating of E10+ does not entirely reflect the boundaries that Nintendo will be placing on the content, and as Majora's Mask exemplifies most splendidly, there can certainly be content that can be considered dark or controversial outside of what ESRB looks at.

Oh and with regards to MM, might I also add mention of the agonizing scream that Link emits every time he puts on a transformation mask?

Indeed, I will not be surprised to see Nintendo slip in a few questionable things that skitter past supposed confines of the official rating.

You all seem to forget that E-10+ didn't exist when Majora's Mask came out- it first appeared around 2005. So it might have gotten an E-10+ had it existed. I remember when it started out the ESRB started throwing E-10+ on everything previously E- Zoo Tycoon 2's first expansion (and all subsequent ones) got E-10+, despite having added nothing objectionable.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
What I'm trying to say is, the ESRB generally doesn't rate a game based upon its text, unless it has a good deal of language and the like.

Indeed, I will not be surprised to see Nintendo slip in a few questionable things that skitter past supposed confines of the official rating.

Fair enough, just thought this might come in handy (crappy image quality aside, I did this in a rush):

Oooooh, too much Moblin!.jpg

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That's just his backside, nothing too special. The moblin looks somewhat beefy, so it is natural for his muscularity to show like that. Cartoon shows tend to revolve around that kind of humor, at least the ones of today.

I never found that scream to be agonizing...actually, I never found it to be a scream at all. Sort of figured it as a roar. A roar of power, if you will.

Last edited:

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Who cares what the rating is? Who cares if it isn't rated T? I will love any Zelda game except maybe a rated M, or CE game, cuz that would be weird...

That's just his backside, nothing too special. The moblin looks somewhat beefy, so it is natural for his muscularity to show like that. Cartoon shows tend to revolve around that kind of humor, at least the ones of today.

I never found that scream to be agonizing...actually, I never found it to be a scream at all. Sort of figured it as a roar. A roar of power, if you will.

It was a roar proclaiming his undying MANLINESS

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man

Yes, maybe I'm taking it too far, but the idea was about subtle details. Personally, thongs are not what I would expect in an E10+ game, but that's just me. I guess not everybody's gonna see it as objectionable (especially because it's just his attire, not really something suggestive), but I put that picture up mainly to kinda give an idea of what they could put. I mean, when creators hide stuff like this in a game, they usually do things that might rely a bit too much on personal views.

Picture this: You put on a mask that changes your body structure, the size of your bones, your skin, and try to imagine how that would feel. I always saw an implication of Link going through that, but then again, that could be just me. That scream could be taken in quite a few ways, now that I think about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom