• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Combat in Zelda Switch

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Return to TP's combat. Evolve it. No more optional skills, make every single skill critical to the core combat....and then...evolve it more.

I want to see hidden skills return for sure, they made combat a lot of fun in TP (it was just a shame enemies died so quickly).

I'm fine with spears and clubs/two handed swords staying because they did feel unique and were useful in the field in BotW, we could have hidden skill for those too, but DO NOT bring the weapon durability back. JUST DONT!

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
Return to TP's combat. Evolve it. No more optional skills, make every single skill critical to the core combat....and then...evolve it more.

Ehh, I kinda agree and disagree with you there. Yeah, that they should be worked properly into the combat, but I really liked that it was an optional thing. It made it more meaningful imo, I always loved finding a new skill, and got a rush of excitement at thinking about what it would allow me to do. I really wish they had done that in BotW, made the "arrow time" and flurry rush-style skills side-quests. I feel like it would've fit in perfectly. That way the enemies would have still been beatable normally, but majorly nerfed as you developed Link, rather than Link just being OP from the start. Not to mention, there would be some actual variety in the game's collectables and quest rewards.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I agree with @Spirit about the return of hidden skills. But they should not be optional, instead required to defeat certain foes later on. That said I wouldn't want to completely return to TP's combat as such as it was rather slow paced.

Wind Waker actually had the fastest paced, most acrobatic and visually exciting combat. This is is what I want expanded on. Zelda generally does not have great combat and it's often slow and not very interesting to look at. This should change.

I'd also like to see the return of parrying as it adds to the visual excitement. Though rather than it being some godlike ability you can just wait for to effortlessly defeat your opponent I would want it done more like Metal Gear Rising where you must input a direction to parry a participar enemy when you are surrounded by foes. And yes I want big hoardes of these foes to take on not just a maximum of three enemies.

And definitely scrap the weapon breaking mechanic! It is awful and game ruining.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
Scrap the weapon breaking mechanic. Even Fallout admitted it's crap.

Give us the option to use some enemies as shields, or jump on top of enemies to ride them and attack them or their compatriots.

I agree with Deus on the skills issue. I think that's generally the best way to handle it.

Also, give us actual magic back for Link. Let him use it in battle. He wields a friggin' Triforce Piece. He should have more than stubbornness to call upon.

Allow us to take a companion with us. Have them fight as well as Link does, even if they fight differently. Maybe even allow us to switch between Link and their companion. This could even be Zelda's role in the next game.

Have your movement choreographer study how people really fight with medieval weapons. Maybe sign him up for a few spars so he learns first-hand. Don't even have to tell him first; it can be a birthday surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom