• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Combat in Future Games?

Therapist Bill

The Pianist
Hey there ZD! :)

I was thinking earlier about past combat in our dear franchise. Both how difficult they have been and the way they have been designed. In the past it has been mostly been that you encounter some enemies, hack n' slash, move on, shoot some arrows, move on. Basically been thinking if the future title will change this, should it change this? :?

What I had in mind was that the combat could maybe move away from just hacking away at weak enemies in numbers and move to more smart enemies, one direction that SS seemed to steer towards. I quite enjoyed the thought in SS in that sense. You had more smart enemies and utilizing the "notorious" motion controls you had to give some more thought to the combat. However the next game maybe (probably) will not have motion controls (phew :lol: ) and will focus on a different type of smart combat. Personally I would love to see something in the vein of Dragon Age, a more "turn based strategy" where you can pause/slow down combat to create a combination of different attacks you have learned.

Although not everyone is fond of this type of gameplay, so was wondering what the lovely forums thoughts on this are? ^^
Do you guys want to see some more "evolved" combat in Zelda Wii U, maybe something similar to what I was yabbing about earlier? Maybe you would like to see something more along the lines of SS? Are you thinking of something else entirely? Maybe you like the more traditional combat? :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I just want smarter AI and a more evolved form of Skyward Sword's combat. For example, whatever select enemies that attempted to guard themselves dynamically could make their guarding tactics more advanced, and many enemies could even attempt to flank Link, especially when in groups.

The role of combat is one of the larger existential questions for Zelda. I'd suggest two things. The first is just smarter AI and more dynamic combat, especially for more powerful enemies. Encountering, defeating, or losing to these enemies represent meaningful experiences in Zelda. Second, I like to think that Zelda is all about exploration, dungeon crawling, and maybe NPC interaction, but what's the point of it all if I there's no Enemy X for me to defeat (can wanting to defeat an enemy serve as motivation to explore)? Another dimension to being able to access a particular part of the world should be the question of whether a particular kind of enemy can be defeated. Getting particular power-ups should allow you to defeat enemies guarding a part of the overworld. Getting particular power-ups should also give you power to defeat a particular superenemy in the overworld for its own sake (e.g. giant Peahat lol).

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
I just want to eventually get to a part of the game where is filled with enemies that all try to attack you a the same time, half of them would shoot projectiles at the same time.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I want something like metal gear revengeance, where you had a parry system and also a slow motion mode where you could do directional slicing, would be great for a triforce slash. Anyone who has played this game will know what i mean.

Also to regain health in MGR the main character would have to slice open an enemy in a specific spot and pull out its power core. In zelda it could be link slicing an enemies chest and ripping out and consuming its heart.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I want something like metal gear revengeance, where you had a parry system and also a slow motion mode where you could do directional slicing, would be great for a triforce slash. Anyone who has played this game will know what i mean.

Also to regain health in MGR the main character would have to slice open an enemy in a specific spot and pull out its power core. In zelda it could be link slicing an enemies chest and ripping out and consuming its heart.

I legitimately can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. I have to know because it's killing me! DX

Maikeru

Piper of Time
As opposed to really changing too much of the combat system, I suppose what I'd like is just more emphasis on the freedom of how to attack and taking advantage of the environment. Whether this be implemented with inclusion of things such as the weather or seasons, I don't mind, but just something where I'm looking around at everything trying to find out fun and creative way to take down the baddies. Like slashing a pillar in half and having it fall on a Bokoblin's head, squashing him into the ground... brutally. I also like the idea of customizing my arsenal.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I legitimately can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. I have to know because it's killing me! DX

MGR's combat was great fun. I can see a modified version working in Zelda. It was good for hordes and bosses, and parrying was just so satisfying. The slow motion directional slashes could be utilised for puzzle and combat that requires you to slice an enemy in a certain direction, and Triforce slash needs to appear, even if it is a later ability that is gained. Taking out Ganondorf with it needs to happen.

I don't think they will do the heart thing, it seems a bit graphically violent for Zelda. They really should though, best way to appeal to a younger generation of fans;)

I loved Wind Waker's combat. Z-Targeting and Parry Attacks? Love it. But I hope this goes hand in hand with the new Zelda game's improved AI. Because when we get to the eventual stealth segment, I'd like AI that you're actually afraid of, not dumb bokoblins in a set path you can easily breeze through after one or two playthroughs. \\

I just want harder enemies! :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I loved Wind Waker's combat. Z-Targeting and Parry Attacks? Love it. But I hope this goes hand in hand with the new Zelda game's improved AI. Because when we get to the eventual stealth segment, I'd like AI that you're actually afraid of, not dumb bokoblins in a set path you can easily breeze through after one or two playthroughs. \\

I just want harder enemies! :)

The parrying wasn't that great, though. It was a glorified QTE that resulted in nothing but visual flair.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I honestly can't think of anything... I guess I want something more difficult than just hacking and slashing, I guess it be cool to maybe utilize the touchscreen kind of like motion controls, I'm thinking that's what they may go for. We'll just see what happens I guess.

Salem

SICK
Didn't Bulblins & Bokoblins do that in Twilight Princess & Skyward Sword respectively?
I don't remember, but don't all of the 3D Zelda games focus more on Link vs One enemy mini-boss battles? I know there are exceptions, but what I meant from my posts a shift of focus on one to one battles to a group of enemies.

D

Deleted member 14134

There needs to be a steeper challenge curve as the game goes on. Enemies need to be smarter stronger and faster. Parrying should be included so that flailing until you get a hit doesn't work requiring you to time your swings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom