• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Combat Dungeons?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
What are your opinion on Combat Dungeons? In TWW, we had the Savage Labyrinth; in TP, we had the Cave of Ordeals; in ST, we had the Take Em' All On Challenge. Do you guys like going through these mini dungeons, and if so, which one is your favorite?

My favorite is the Savage Labyrinth. I don't know why, but I've always liked it better than the other two (which I also love a lot). I find the Cave of Ordeals harder, but overall, I like the Savage Labyrinth more.

If this thread already exists, let me know. I searched and couldn't find it, but...

Question: Should I put up a poll? Reply yes or no

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well these kind of dungeons are certainly a different experience but a good different...

The cave of ordeals is definitely the superior in my eyes, its a great example of true challenge and a variety in combat. Twilight Princess is considered to be one of the easiest Zelda games but this mini dungeon is a great break from this and I actually think it is one of the most challenging combat wise a Zelda game has ever had. Not only are you going through multiple rooms fighting multiple enemies but you actually have to think strategically about how you approach each room. I found myself staring down over the edge actually thinking about the best way to tackle the enemies, this was because you had to think about saving your hearts.

This was also one of the very few moments that actually required skill in a Zelda game. The combat in TP I woukd argue is the best in the series and the use of items in combat made for a lot of variety, because of the variety of enemies in the dungeon you would have to use a lot of Links arsenal. Also combining the Hidden Skills actually made for some great variety in combo's. Overall I think we need dungeons like this and it coukd be used to implement more of a challenge and strategy into Zelda games.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
My favorite combat dungeon is the Savage Labyrinth. I'd say it is rank 2 in challenge and rank 3 in overall difficulty, but rank 1 in fun factor. I liked all of the foes present, and sometimes I was being locked in a corner by Darknuts! That never happened to me in TP's Cave of Ordeals or ST's Take 'Em All On. Overall I just enjoy being thrust against several foes whether old or new in succession. Keeps the adrenaline pumping, and my controller sticks moving.

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
Question: Should I put up a poll? Reply yes or no

Yes, please--I'd be curious to see the result.

As for me, I feel pretty indifferent about them. My favorite parts of Zelda games are always the exploring and puzzle solving, not so much the combat, although I do like knowing that it's out there if I want to go hone my combat skills (or just whack away at a seemingly never ending supply of baddies). Like justac00lguy I also like the Cave of Ordeals the best, and for much the same reason--the variety of strategies needed to get out alive.

i love Savage Labyrinth but then again i prefer combat in WW over other Zelda games, it feels quicker and a lot more wild and dangerous, its based on timing and placing and enemies have to be broken down in stages and quite a few of them have defences that dont wear down and need more than just your sword and shield to take down. I also like Shark Isle in WW which sent an army at you. so Savage Labyrinth for me =]

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Can't say I enjoy the Savage Labrynth. At all. It's really, really easy and really, really annoying, as well as mandatory for the first 40 floors, so... ghsfaiofpjdsiof ugh, I hate it.

I enjoy the Cave of Ordeals and Take 'Em On challenge, though. They give you minimal resources and unique challenges, so I've always had fun with them. I do hope we see more of these in the future.

Clank

Hmm
I would love to see more of them in the style of the Cave of Ordeals, but they would have to be done well.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I really like them all. The Cave of Ordeals is my favourite and I would argue that it's the best one. Combat dungeons do need to reappear in future titles. They're always fun to go through.

I agree that the Savage Labyrinth was the most fun. At least for me anyway. I prefer the styles of the Savage Labryinth and the Cave of Ordeals. I have never played the other, so I can't speak to that. Replaying all of the boss battles in Skyward Sword was nice, but I think I would prefer the Wind Waker and Skyward Sword styles.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Definitely. This is where Nintendo can make a combat sidequest and push the game's difficulty to its limits without worrying about casuals. I loved Take Em On and Cave of Ordeals, although I will admit they made Savage Labyrinth way too easy (probably because it was mandatory) and the boring enemies kinda ruined some of the fun, but to be fair, it was their first effort.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
Yeah, I loved the Cave of Ordeals. The battle dungeons are a great addition to the games. The add content and challenge and are just really fun. And Yes, please do a poll!

Well these kind of dungeons are certainly a different experience but a good different...

The cave of ordeals is definitely the superior in my eyes, its a great example of true challenge and a variety in combat. Twilight Princess is considered to be one of the easiest Zelda games but this mini dungeon is a great break from this and I actually think it is one of the most challenging combat wise a Zelda game has ever had. Not only are you going through multiple rooms fighting multiple enemies but you actually have to think strategically about how you approach each room. I found myself staring down over the edge actually thinking about the best way to tackle the enemies, this was because you had to think about saving your hearts.

This was also one of the very few moments that actually required skill in a Zelda game. The combat in TP I woukd argue is the best in the series and the use of items in combat made for a lot of variety, because of the variety of enemies in the dungeon you would have to use a lot of Links arsenal. Also combining the Hidden Skills actually made for some great variety in combo's. Overall I think we need dungeons like this and it coukd be used to implement more of a challenge and strategy into Zelda games.

I can say that i agree with this because i too did the peak over the ledge to plan my attack in the cave of ordeals. The only gripe i have about these dungeons (albeit they ARE optional) is that they are too long. I have 3 kids and get maybe and hour or so of game play a day so 50 lvls of the cave was really hard to do in one run. If they would have let you create a check point like in the temple of the ocean king but bring you to the amount of hearts and supplies you had when you left i think it would have been better.

L

LinkBreh

Are we all forgetting the Secret Shrine in MM? It's not my favorite but it's still a mini-dungeon with 4 mini-bosses. Plus the prize (heart piece) is always a good thing. The cave of ordeals is by far the best. So many levels within the Zelda games are based off puzzles and items. Would love to see more brute fighting in future games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom