• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Choice bound game.

Do you think the Zelda series would ever make a choice bound game like an Elder Scrolls game? Maybe not specifically about Link and Zelda, but something in that universe that is between incarnations of the hero that flesh out some of the timeline gaps. I think it would be pretty cool to play as the different races/species in Hyrule and fill in some timeline that the hero doesn't actually affect. Thoughts?

I think when you start doing games like that with Zelda then theres a real danger of diluting the series.

There have been important moments in Hyrule's history that have happened between incarnations of Link that i'd like to see, and I'd really like a Sheikah based game, but as soon as you start filling in gaps with entire games then you lose a lot of possibilities for others.

Zelda games often give us entire new eras to theorise on which in turn create more gaps, but these gaps arent ones i think need to be filled. Like a legend, details are vague and i like that.

However i do think a Link-less game would work and it would be nice to see another brave hero have an adventure in the Zekda universe, whatever race he/she may be, but i doubt that game would mean much to the overall purpose of Zelda itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dio

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I think it would have to be spin-offs then. Spin-offs within a different genre and playstyle than the actual Zelda-games, for example a game where you play as Shiek during Link's 7 year sleep in OOT would mainly be a stealth-game, or a game about some other character would be an RPG or something like that. But I'm also pretty sure that they'd have to make it non-canon, like Hyrule Warriors.

Zelda games have a cool story but since the games are never focused on story building a game like that would feel way to different. That doesn't mean it would be bad but it'd run a real risk of creating something not many fans like.

I mean in a sense MM let you play as different races, you just had to switch based on story and gameplay needs. I guess you mean something more open than that though.

I'm not too familiar with these types of games but hey, I'll try anything once!

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
It's a cool idea but I dont see it happening. I persnally would just end up creating a link lookalike character anyway becuase I feel that a zelda game without link wouldn't feel complete

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
Probably not for the Zelda series... at least while Aonuma is around.

If you're considering a dialogue choice game, Link historically doesn't talk, and it would just be too weird hearing his voice.

You could make decisions entirely by your actions, but there's only so much you can do with this. Through a certain point of view, the Zelda series already has this in the form of you deciding whether to perform certain sidequests. It would be cool if you could visibly see the effects of this crop up in later parts of the game. But I'm not so sure if that's what you're talking about.

As for a spinoff featuring Zelda characters inbetween Link-incarnations... I'll pass. If it doesn't feature a hero with a sword solving puzzles and slaying evil, at that point, I'd much rather see the idea implemented in a new franchise. It's a real shame that our current overall market doesn't treat new IP's well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom