• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Cel-da: Anime enough?

Since Wind Waker we've been getting a lot of cel-shaded Zelda games, the art style almost makes for the majority of Zelda's most used style now and Zelda U is no exception... Aonuma himself has said that he was inspired by anime for the art style of Zelda U.

Now, I've been getting into the Tales series recently and they have a very prominent anime style, they look like interactive animes....

So the question is; has Aonuma pushed Zelda too far into the anime realm? Dos it look too anime for you to like it or do you think he should have pushed it further into the anime style (like the 'Tales of' series) to further compliment the cel shading?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Since Wind Waker we've been getting a lot of cel-shaded Zelda games, the art style almost makes for the majority of Zelda's most used style now and Zelda U is no exception... Aonuma himself has said that he was inspired by anime for the art style of Zelda U.

Now, I've been getting into the Tales series recently and they have a very prominent anime style, they look like interactive animes....

So the question is; has Aonuma pushed Zelda too far into the anime realm? Dos it look too anime for you to like it or do you think he should have pushed it further into the anime style (like the 'Tales of' series) to further compliment the cel shading?

I like what he has done so far. I love anime so I can't complain.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I like the way Zelda's going. tbh, it doesn't really look very anime to me, but even if that's the route he wants to go, it's alright. I'm not an anime fan, but I am a Zelda fan, so I'd play it either way.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Saw the thread title and my answer was "Yes please more anime!"

Saw "Tales" and my answer was "OH GOD NO"

Let me elaborate...

I like the anime visuals. ...but that's about it when it comes to games. If it gets too far into the realm of story and drama then it won't be enjoyable to play. As long as they take the normal Nintendo approach of gameplay first, then art, then story, I'd be happy with more anime inspiration. I thoroughly enjoyed Lana's inclusion in HW, but if the game was all about her and her interactions with other NPCs without her unique fighting style then I would have gotten bored extremely quickly, and quite likely disgusted.

I want to solve environmental puzzles, not social puzzles. There are certainly many varieties of anime, not just the "Tales" kind.

I like what Aonuma is doing. He's using a variety of art styles instead of using the same one over and over, whether it's cel-shading or combining it with another art style. Even if it looks more anime-like, I wouldn't have a problem with it, especially considering the gameplay tends to be the main focus first, with the artwork behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom