• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

CD-i Titles As Bad As Everyone Thinks?

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
- Greetings boys and girls. Today we are going to discuss the CD-i titles and if they were as bad as we think they are. My main resource is Smitie; she is Dutch as we all know, and since Phillips is a Dutch company, she was able to get her hands on a working CD-i system in a store for a low price along with a copy of Link: The Faces of Evil. She beat it not too long ago, and she also saw a new, sealed copy of Zelda's Adventure, which we all know is the rarest of the three and is hard to find even in online stores.

~ Zelda: The Wand of Gamleon & Link: The Faces of Evil ~

- For starters, I myself and plenty of other forum members have probably seen the Angry Video Game Nerd episode on the Zelda CD-i games. He points out a lot of good facts, mostly about the controls being so bad. One of my main points will be that the controls is one of the things that creates several annoying flaws in the game. Only two buttons and the D-Pad are used, creating a lot of problems like accidentally using items when you want to open a door, since one button uses the sword and the other one does literally everything else. Plus you have to press up to jump.

- A lot of the enemies are also nearly impossible to hit, plus they drain your health down extremely fast. The bosses only take one hit though. But one thing that these games are known for are their corny cutscenes. They're beyond horrible, seriously. "I'm so hungry, I could eat an Octorok!" "Great! I can't wait to bomb some Dodongos!" Ok that's enough with the scenes. You have to constantly buy Bombs, Laterns, and everything else to get through every stage, but even in those times with full supplies it's easy to have to restart the stage (running out of Ropes, etc.)

~ Zelda's Adventure ~

- This game is very different from the other two. Zelda's Adventure uses full motion cutscenes with real people instead of the cartoon looking ones. Real voices are also used in the game, along with real-looking graphics. The main problem with this game is the texture of the land and such. The ground literally looks like it was taken from a satellite. Loading between screens takes too long too.

- Another one of the major flaws is the pause menu and selecting items. The graphics of the items look so real and weird that a lot of the time it's hard to even tell what something is. A voice is also constantly calling Zelda's name and giving her hints, but hearing it all the time gets old after a while. Unlike the other two games, controls aren't much of an issue in this game.

~ Conclusion ~

- So we just covered all of the major flaws in the three games. Talking to Smitie, I learned that two of the titles are actually kind of fun when you have the right kind of controller since the major issue in those games are the controls. She's yet to get Wand of Gamleon, but the games are very similar anyway. Zelda's Adventure I doubt she'll get, but you never know. The purpose of this topic was to encourage people to not just hate the games automatically, but maybe encourage them to try them one day.

Last edited:
Before even clicking the topic, I thought to myself "Well if the AVGN made a video based off them.." and you beat me to it. Seriously though, I wouldn't spend my money on the games (ignoring the fact that AVGN points out they're super-expensive), but I guess it wouldn't hurt to DL a rom and play it on an emulator. If I do waste my time to do so (kidding) my hopes, however, won't be high. What's the storyline of them like?

Plus I think it's safe to say that if we compare these CD-i titles to any other LoZ title, the 'suckage' will be obvious to most.

P.S. Reading the quotes made me laugh, time to go watch some of them on YouTube..

A lot of the cutscenes I've seen for these games I saw in Youtube poops. The thing is, those Youtube poops are what got me interested in these games. I feel like playing them, but I don't own any of them, or a CD-I systems. And even with rom-emulation they are still pretty hard to find.

The cutscenes may be corny, but they're actually impressive if you think about it. How many games did you see with cutscenes like those back in their time? As for the gameplay, I don't know how it is. All I heard is that its pretty complicated, I would like to give these games a try before I say anything else about them.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
haha, finally someone who stands up for the cd-i zelda games :P.

Seriously though, yes I played one of the games and I had no expectations (I saw the AVGN too). After playing it a while I noticed I really liked the game. I even started to say Ganon completely wrong (I have the dutch version of the games, so I have dutch voice acting). It is true that the cutscenes are absolutely horrible. I didn't know who gave those animators access to a paint program, but it wouldn't surprise me if they let little kids draw the characters. But, the game is not only cutscenes and you can skip them, so they are not ruining the game completely. Second is the controls. The AVGN is right about the stiffness of the controls, but he is a bit overdoing his anger a bit. If you use your items wisely and buy new items on time, there should be no problem. If I can finish this game, a lot of other people can ;)

Overal, I think the cd-i games are decent. They are nowhere near the quality of the real zelda games, but I think the game would get a lot more appreciation if the zelda license was not used. I wonder if philips still has the license to make more zelda games...it would be funny to see a fourth cd-i game :P.

Oh and don't think I spend as much money to the cd-i games as AVGN did. Since Philips is a dutch company, there are a lot of 2nd hand cd-i systems and games for sale. My cd-i was 20 euro (27 dollar) and Link: Faces of Evil was 15 euro (20 dollar). I'm not going to spend a lot of money on Zelda's Adventure though...unless you all request walkthroughs for the three games :xd:

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I played one of them via... umm, something I don't want to talk about. Personally, I think that the CD-i games were somewhat better than AoL, but inferior to the rest of the Zelda series. Then again, that could just mean that I find AoL's translation errors more annoying than the CD-i games...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom