• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Can Somebody Tell Me How the WiiU is Not Just a Giant DS with Higher Specs?

Because it seems like it is. There's little you can do on the WiiU that you can't do on a 3DS. I played a demo of it today and I don't see how it's NOT a giant DS. I'm still waiting to be impressed. :/

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
You're viewing this the wrong way. The GamePad's touch screen and motion features are a mere addition to an already standard controller. It has dual analog sticks that can be pushed down, four face buttons, a d-pad, two triggers, and two bumpers, most of which the 3DS doesn't have. The GamePad's screen is also not in a fixed position like it is on the 3DS. It's basically combined the modern controller with the 3DS and Wii Remote, which is pretty sweet, if you ask me. I don't see what the issue is. Is there something wrong with having 3DS-like features alongside of others? It's pretty innovative and sets the system up for success.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I haven't played it, but I can't shake the feeling that switching between the Wiimote and the GamePad is going to feel unnatural and annoying....

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The way it stands, the Wii U at launch will pretty much be a [3]DS with higher specs -- it will have mostly casual games that are made for 'pick up and set down' kind of gameplay rather than playing for long periods of times -- but I'm almost certain that later in its life, it will gain games that are simply beyond the par of the 3DS. The Wii U optical disc has a 25GB capacity. This means we could get games like Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII as far as length and grandeur goes, or maybe even Kingdom Hearts 3. The 3DS by comparison must have shorter games as the flash cartridges are 1-8GB in size, but even then the hardware specs of the 3DS prevent anything GREAT (here great meaning size) from being produced.

There's also sound, graphics, and other such things that relate to specs that make the Wii U beyond "a 3DS with better specs". It's mostly in the scope of the games produced, though.

Guys your ALL looking at it wrong. The Wii U is here to create asymmetrical gameplay. With the (3)ds the two screens work together in pretty much the same way: usually holding a map or items in the bottom screen. Which really doesn't enhance the game at all. BUT with the Wii U YOUR THE ONLY PERSON looking at one certain thing. Which makes it different from just having a map thing where everyone sees it.
With that said developers making games for the Wii U they better think of it as explained or it will be a giant (3)ds.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
I don't see the WiiU as a giant 3DS. 3DS is a single player device that's only for a person to play all by themselves. The feature to get more players requires more 3DSs and more game cards. WiiU only requires more controls and done. WiiU is for everyone (5 players only) to all play together on the big screen and enjoy themselves as they play. If the WiiU has some 3DS features, that's ok by me.

If one player is playing by itself on the tv and wishes to drag the game to the game pad, let him/her be. I really don't see the WiiU as a big, gigantic 3DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom