• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses is Fighter #5

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
eh, it's anticlimactic but I'm not mad about it, I've been content ever since the first trailer showed Snake so the 6 fighters in volume 2 can be all fire emblem characters for all I care

....would be nice if they threw in KOS-MOS though

Yes but I purchased this pass with the mindset that a new FE rep would be completely ridiculous, and that they would all be third party. This was downright dirty.
so....a gamble then

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I love Sakurai, he has such an infectious charm. I could listen to him talk about anything. Watching him count in binary then explain it was adorable.

As for Byleth, I have no emotions towards this character whatsoever. I couldn't care less about Fire Emblem if I tried. They look fine to play as, just not something I'm interested in.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Byleth is actually the only fighters pass character I care about, lol. Hoes be mad.

Do I care about Joker, Hero, Banjo, or Terry? Nope. Did I buy the fighters pass fully aware that this would be a likely outcome? Yes. Am I mad? No. I am not a child.

Hero is actually pretty fun, even though I don't care about the character or the series. Joker is kinda fun, too, same deal. I don't like using Banjo or Terry, but I do enjoy fighting against them. I like fighting any smash character even if I don't like to play as them. And more stages and music is always great.

Fire Emblem is a series that I am fairly new to, but I still like it. Three Houses ended up being one of my favorite games on the Switch, and the work Sakurai put into this challenger pack is really nice. I love what I've seen. I'm more excited for Byleth than I was the other four (though I wasn't excited for any of the other four at all to begin with, lol).

Am I gonna buy the next challenger's pack? Yep. Am I gonna whine about it if I don't get who I want in it? Nope. SSBU is a great game packed with great content. I intend to sample all of it.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
And this is why i'm glad i never bothered with the fighter's pass, it kinda reeks of "quick this is popular lets toss this in no matter what, doesn't matter if the series over-represented" It's somewhat frustrating that out of all the games Nintendo produces they had to pick Fire Emblem for yet another inclusion.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think it's funny that people complain about FE and Pokemon representation when Mario has more characters than both of them, yet no one complains about Mario being over-represented. Heck, people are asking for MORE Mario characters (Geno and Waluigi) and yet they behave like this for series that they don't follow. #doublestandards much?

I watched the direct again and Byleth looks fun as heck and that stage looks fantastic and better than the other 4 DLC stages. He looks like a better representation of FE as a series than the other fighters, due to containing so many weapon choices that really speak to FE's gameplay. It's really cool. I'm excited to use him.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I think it's funny that people complain about FE and Pokemon representation when Mario has more characters than both of them, yet no one complains about Mario being over-represented. Heck, people are asking for MORE Mario characters (Geno and Waluigi) and yet they behave like this for series that they don't follow. #doublestandards much?

I watched the direct again and Byleth looks fun as heck and that stage looks fantastic and better than the other 4 DLC stages. He looks like a better representation of FE as a series than the other fighters, due to containing so many weapon choices that really speak to FE's gameplay. It's really cool. I'm excited to use him.

You've kind of hit it on the head here, FE isn't something that everyone follows as was pointed out before awakening it had almost died out, i sure as hell hadn't heard of Fire Emblem til then. The mario thing is mostly down to the fact that they've been (for the most part) included in the series from (again most part) the start, aside from that most of the mario fighters don't feel as if they are clones, though Luigi is totally a clone.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
You've kind of hit it on the head here, FE isn't something that everyone follows as was pointed out before awakening it had almost died out, i sure as hell hadn't heard of Fire Emblem til then. The mario thing is mostly down to the fact that they've been (for the most part) included in the series from (again most part) the start, aside from that most of the mario fighters don't feel as if they are clones, though Luigi is totally a clone.
Whether many people follow it or not isn't the end-all-be-all of who gets represented, though. Just look at Terry, many of us here had never heard of him or KoF before, myself included. People whined about that, too. What matters more is their contribution to gaming, and FE has been around a very long time and has been linked very closely with Smash since Melee. Iirc Melee was what introduced a lot of the west to FE, but I may be remembering that wrong. Either way, Smash and FE have had strong connections ever since Melee, so it's really not surprising.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Whether many people follow it or not isn't the end-all-be-all of who gets represented, though. Just look at Terry, many of us here had never heard of him or KoF before, myself included. People whined about that, too. What matters more is their contribution to gaming, and FE has been around a very long time and has been linked very closely with Smash since Melee. Iirc Melee was what introduced a lot of the west to FE, but I may be remembering that wrong. Either way, Smash and FE have had strong connections ever since Melee, so it's really not surprising.

It's not to be honest, it seems like many of the games that Smash connected to flourished a bit/a lot after their introductions, i've no clue who Terry is or KoF (what is KoF?) honestly i'm more glad it's not another basic clone but unfortunately that does seem to be whats being put in more, Clones (look at most of the FE fighters) i'm not to fussed on any of the new DLC characters hence why i never picked up the DLC, i'd rather have one good fighter than a bundle of bad ones for the good un. I think at the end of the day people will whine regardless just because it's not their fishwaifu or some such.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend

What should have more characters? The #1 bestselling series of all time, each character being incredibly unique (with 1 exception)? or a series that didn’t even leave japan until a good 15 years after its original release and even still never gained popularity until its 15th installment, and 4/8 characters are literal clones of one another, and another 2 looking incredibly similar?

Yeah, Fire Emblem definitely needs more than the 4 characters it deserves.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
What should have more characters? The #1 bestselling series of all time, each character being incredibly unique (with 1 exception)? or a series that didn’t even leave japan until a good 15 years after its original release and even still never gained popularity until its 15th installment, and 4/8 characters are literal clones of one another, and another 2 looking incredibly similar?

Yeah, Fire Emblem definitely needs more than the 4 characters it deserves.
As I said earlier, popularity doesn't factor into it as much as history. Sakurai gave us some background on FE in the video presentation and as I also said earlier, Smash and FE have been closely linked since melee. There's no such thing as fighters that "need" to be in there when it comes to Smash. Smash is Smash.

I also don't care about clones. I like being able to pick between characters, for example; I don't like using Marth, but Lucina is one of my mains. Clone arguments usually get a snore from me. I don't fuss over them because I'll just use who I like; which by the way is what Smash is about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom