• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Bringing Back Sidekicks

Throughout the history of Zelda, Link has commonly been given some sort of sidekick to aid him on his quest. These sidekicks provide information, give hints, and add to the story of the game in general. As the series has continued to evolve, however, sidekicks have been getting more in depth back stories and more emotional attributes, making them some of the most important characters of the series.
The first sidekicks can arguably be seen in the first ever Legend of Zelda with the character of the Old Man/Old Women, but we've certainly seen an advancement since then. Navi was definitely a more unique sidekick in her addition to the storyline and mysterious disappearance at Ocarina of Time's end. However more recently, we've begun seeing sidekicks that people have wanted more of. Midna is a classic example of a sidekick with a mysterious background as well as a very real-world personality. Since her seemingly permanent goodbye at the end of Twilight Princess, however, people have voiced the idea of seeing her return because of the major connection she had to the story. Same goes for Fi of Skyward Sword, another seemingly impossible to return sidekick that is wanted back by some.
The main discussion of this thread is this: Would you be open to seeing one of Link's many sidekicks make a return in the Zelda series? Would you want them back as a sidekick once again, or perhaps as just another character in the game? Would you think of it as boring or exciting to see one of your favorites come back and be added onto? Do you believe Nintendo would even consider this?
Personally speaking, the only sidekick I really want to see again is Midna. As I stated earlier, she seemed to have so much going on that I really want to know more about her.
Do you want to know more about certain sidekicks or would you prefer the mystery shrouded about some, such as Navi?

Discuss :)

domo

I think my head stopped hurting finally
I think it'd be cool to see Navi come back as a Elder fairy or something of the sort. Although I wouldnt want them to be reused, I'd rather they make a new sidekick that brings something new to the table instead of reusing old ideas.

Dan

I think we need to get a bit more hip and down with the kids for the next sidekick.
My answer a Rapping fairy, sporting some awesome shades. Oh and a cap.

I can already see it now. About to attack an enemy and "YO YO YO BBOY LINK , DIS B ONE BADASS MOFO SPIDER, WAIT TILL THEY DO DAT TWIRLY THINK DEN WHACK EM WITH YA SWORD, RITE ? OK KEEP TIGHT BRO"

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
If its done right, any idea is a good one. But this idea can go wrong in so many ways, and Nintendo loves to make the wrong decisions. Based on that, I would have to say I don't want it to happen because I don't believe it will be done correctly.

A sidekick character should never be reused unless there is a valid impetus for the action. I will focus the majority of this post on Midna seeing as how a larger portion of fans clamor for her return than any other companion.

Recently I discussed the idea of the return of Midna with Rare Addict, a fellow ZDer and administrator of the site Want Midna Back. It is an organized effort to petition Nintendo for Midna to appear in a future Zelda game. The group has recently expanded its efforts going so far as to start work on a Mirror of Twilight replica. As much as I adored Midna's persona-she truly dug deep into my heart and stands as my favorite franchise assistant-her placement in a second title would need to be logically introduced. Seeing as how Midna ventured out of her world to halt the Usurper King Zant and his Twili forces I don't envision the possibility for a prequel. As for a sequel, this brings to mind a recent thread discussing Zant breaking his neck during the end credits of Twilight Princess. Although all theory regarding this is mere speculation it could be interpreted as Ganondorf losing the power granted him from the Twilight Realm or Zant delivering breaking the contract with his final master and delivering the killing blow. If a Twilight Princess sequel ever occurs I would therefore love to see it unravel in the Twilight Realm. With sanity regained and in control of his own destiny Zant could pose a more potent threat or perhaps a new villain could snag the spotlight.

Overall, however, the idea of a helper character returning isn't something I'm fond of. Each had their own duty in the Zelda game they starred in. Navi's was to guide Link on his journey to defeat Ganondorf; Tatl offered assistance after being abandoned by the Skull Kid; The King of Red Lions or rather King of Hyrule sought to protect the Triforce from Ganondorf; Midna wished to reclaim her world; Fi was the spirit of the Master Sword entrusted to locate Zelda (Hylia) and ensure the destruction of the Demon King Demise. All of these characters served their purpose and it's high time to introduce new accomplices to the series.

Its definitely best for Link to have a new sidekick by his side for each individual game, especially of the modern era.
Midna is definitely the best sidekick Link has had in my eyes. She not only had the most unique and deepest personality than the other sidekicks (and most characters in Zelda for that matter) but she also evolved the gameplay, and was able to allow Link to do things he couldn't do in other Zelda games; for example stopping Beast Ganon, target jumping to navigate obstacles and interacting with heavier and hard to reach objects that Link would have never been able to otherwise. No other Sidekick has done that and so I'm not surprised that so many people want Midna back, i do too.

But if Midna were to come back i'd want it to be in a non interactive form, Link should have a new sidekick (hopefully one who enhances gameplay like Midna) but if Midna were to be included in a future installment then she should be an NPC, perhaps an important one, maybe having the presence that Zelda had in TP, perhaps even jealous of Link's new sidekick, but she shouldn't be playable. Though part of me wants her to stay gone, i do have faith in Nintendo's story telling abilities (i'll defend TP with my last breath stating it was one of the best-yet most understood Zelda stories) but its also easy to receive a blacklash for fans by putting Midna back in, she may do soemthing unagreeable, or die or the circumstances we meet her under may not be the majority's preferred meeting etc, some may say we wouldn't see enough of her, some would say we saw too much and other would see it as nothing but fan service and accuse the game of pandering to fans.

As much as Midna would be nice to see again, especially in her true form, i think our memories of her are enough.

As for other sidekicks, none of them have left an impression so for the next Zelda game, be it 3DS or WiiU i say as far as sidekicks are concerned; lets move on.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well I would like to see Midna again and learn more about her and her background and people. I don't particularly care for any other sidekick, I think that the others did not leave you wanting more and provided as much information as you wanted to know about them.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think if there is ever a game to mark the end of the story completely, Fi should return. Maybe if she was somehow awaken from her slumber because the Master Sword was threatened in some way.

I would like to see a past sidekick but still not use them. Like Spirit of Zant and A Link in Time, I would just like to have the sidekick but not use them as the current sidekick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom