• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Timeline Theory and Ideas

In the DT, Ganondorf kills Link, gets the full Triforce, becomes the Demon King, and gets sealed away by Zelda and the sages, and the IW happens a long time after.

What I'm saying is that HH says that Ganon was sealed by the sages after Link was defeated, but it didn't say how much time passed. It seems to imply that it happened immediately, but it didn't outright say so, just like how FSA seemed to imply that it was a direct sequel to FS and featured the same Link, and we know how that turned out. BotW could easily be a stretch of Ganon's first sealing on the DT, and while it says that Zelda and the sages sealed him, it doesn't say they did it alone(maybe a resurrected HoT?). Besides, if Zelda and the sages could just seal Ganon, why even have the HoT there?

Also, BotW Link wakes up in the Shrine of Resurrection, so it doesn't matter if he died.

But if they revived the HoT, why is he not left handed. In BOTW Link is right handed. Plus you cant say "Because this link learned how to fight right handed". When he was revived he Immediately walked out into the world. No context. So I'd say if this is a revived link then it must be one of the what, 2 right handed links.

I think one overlooked possibly is a 4th timeline split. What the 7 sages failed to seal Ganon after Link was defeated. Hyrule gets almost destroyed. So the goddesses seal Ganon in Hyrule Castle. In this time the Kokori evolve into the Koroks, the Shiekha repopulate and the hero of time is brought to the Shrine of Resurrection. As ganon gains more power he becomes the calamity ganon. And thus creating the
calamity timeline. If you guys can add to this theory I'd be grateful.

Aku

Well, there are strong ideas floating around that there might be a fourth timeline, but it's mainly about a possible split rooted in SS. There are various ideas about what happens after that split, but they go all over that place. I am wondering if this game takes place in that timeline, since there are statues of Hylia and the Koroks seem independent of any Great Sea. Someone on Youtube even hypothesized that this game runs on the notion akin to Elderscroll's idea of a 'Dragon Break,' where all of the timelines converge and every ending is canon. He mentioned Majora's Mask as what it would look like in Zelda, where you make tons of little timelines jumping back and forth through the Three Days cycles, but they ultimately converge showing all of the characters you helped during the end scenes.

If it is on another (new) timeline, it still allows the devs to say it's on a timeline, but not be constrained by much previous canon. Going all the way back (to SS, and not just to OoT) would allow them tons of freedom to make up stuff where-ever they want.

However, this 'Forth Timeline' is just conjecture, as is the 'Dragon Break' idea. I would like a new Split occurring more then a Dragon Break, as it would allow them a chance to pump more ideas into the games.

It would definitely make more sense than trying to put it in a timeline that already exists. It's got references to all the existing timelines, and one thing that is safe to assume for the time being is that maybe some of these really are just references to past Zelda titles. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened either. Majora's Mask appears in ALBW but it wasn't in that timeline. So for now I'd say it's safe to assume Nintendo were just taking some of the things from previous titles to give little easter eggs and to possibly confuse the fans. Some game developers love trolling their fans, who's to say Nintendo is any exception

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom