• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Breath of the Wild after thoughts.

Drahsid

~Deku Drahsid~ | The Hero
Hello all, just played through the first kit of DLC and have some after thoughts about it, and my further experience with Breath of the Wild; post review (You can check my review out here).

So the first thing I got was Majora's Mask. I walked past it about twenty times. I feel like Nintendo thought "Explore this area, it will be fun" but after the second time I read the hint I was over it. I'd already throughly been in the area beforehand. Furthermore the items in the DLC, including Majora's Mask give you 1 armor and cannot be upgraded, they also have no abilities. I would have been perfectly alright with it, if it either had more armor points and could be upgraded, or gave you some sort of bonus. Rather it's all vanity. Hey, guess I could wear it while I did the Trail of the Sword. Time to go sell it for 15 rupees (that's not a joke).

On the note of the Trail of the Sword, before I did it I collected a ton of Hearty raddishes so I could increase my health before I entered it. On my way to do that I built my house and helped the ...son guy build his town. The house is a rather useless waste of rupees, however I decided it would perhaps be nice if I preserved my most powerful weapons, which have insane buffs and I never want to break until I find ones with better buffs. The town quest, however was absolutely annoying. Go find some person and hear a eeused audio queue, cut some trees down, it was boring and I did not get any pleasure from seeing the flourishing town. It was literally a fetch quest with no challenge. I want challenge.
And now to the Trail of the Sword: it was easy. I never died, and from what I could observe, the only challenge that it could possibly have is the player being so unobvservant that they would approach a level incorrectly and die. The levels exploit your game sense, so if you lack in it, you might have had a more difficult tone than I did. For example, on the second stage of the thunder storm levels (I think), there are two electric keese and water puddles, to efficiently slay them, you would want to throw bombs at them so they fly towards it and blow them up; however if they get to attack you, and you are in a puddle, you will get demolished and drop your weapons, an observant player would realize and understand this, not making such a mistake.
So I finished that twice (you can see my first finish here) and my buffbois Master Sword is now just that. It always glows and doesn't break as much, so that's a cool reward I guess. The challenge at the start is very enjoyable, it brings you back to the "no items no weapons" dilemma the game gives you a the start of the game and forced you to observe and plan your attacks. That however melts away after you are given an abundance of weapons and safe rooms with fairys (though the fairys never came into use for me). The final trial even gives you enough ancient arrows to not care about the Lynels or the Guardians, I had a couple left when I finished! Where's the challenge?

Coming back to the game, I have of course done some side quests and ventured the world more, well, I'd already ventured it so I just walked around some more. Playing the game makes me feel really bad, because I want to have as much fun as I had when I first picked it up. If I were to modify my review, I would lower the score. The game still has many flaws in my perception and it gets worse as I complete more of the game. Every now and then, however, the game still makes me smile, but those times are not often.
What are your thoughts? Disagree?

Furthermore the items in the DLC, including Majora's Mask give you 1 armor and cannot be upgraded, they also have no abilities. I would have been perfectly alright with it, if it either had more armor points and could be upgraded, or gave you some sort of bonus. Rather it's all vanity. Hey, guess I could wear it while I did the Trail of the Sword. Time to go sell it for 15 rupees (that's not a joke).
They do all have abilities... they're just not anything that you can't get from other gear... they seem to be more useful in Master Mode (which you don't seem to have mentioned, even though it's probably the most important addition from the DLC), as they can be obtained fairly soon after leaving the plateau.
If I remember correctly, Majora's Mask makes most enemies ignore you, Midna's Helmet gives Guardian resistance, the Phantom armour increases your attack power, the Tingle outfit increases movement speed at night, and of course, the Korok Mask helps you find Koroks.

Drahsid

They do all have abilities... they're just not anything that you can't get from other gear... they seem to be more useful in Master Mode (which you don't seem to have mentioned, even though it's probably the most important addition from the DLC), as they can be obtained fairly soon after leaving the plateau.
If I remember correctly, Majora's Mask makes most enemies ignore you, Midna's Helmet gives Guardian resistance, the Phantom armour increases your attack power, the Tingle outfit increases movement speed at night, and of course, the Korok Mask helps you find Koroks.
One only retrieved Majora's Mask and it does absolutely nothing to the enemies behavior, from what I've seen so far. I'm currently going through master mode, I will make a separate post about that when I am done. So far it's not too much more difficult, but to be fair I've only just left the Temple of Time with the glider, so I'm probably about to die.
Edit: Monsters still do attack me, however much less frequently. They'll walk around me in circles before making their move.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Yeah, I like BOTW but...it has two large issues.

1) It did away with all the good stuff from previous Zelda games--mainly the dungeons and sidequests--and replaced them with generic boring fetch quests and Divine Beasts that...aren't bad...but are way too small. Maybe 1/4 the the size of your traditional Zelda dungeon and much more simplistic puzzles.

2) It was in favor of the overworld...which has to be the most generic and boring overworld I've ever experienced--granted I don't play too many open world games. It feels generic due to the lack of lore and "magic". And...it's too damn big. The overworld's size has to be the single worst thing in this game. It creates an empty overworld where more time is spent doing nothing than actually playing, it takes up too much of the playtime, and I think its size is the main reason that BOTW runs like garbage on the Switch.

Also, Majora's Mask is basically all of Kilton's masks into one. I can't believe you sold it...assuming you don't attack, enemies will ignore and follow you. With Majora's Mask, you can take out an entire camp of silver bokoblins with one Deku Leaf swipe.

funnier6

Courage~
I have to say hyrule castle is the best part of the entire game if you ask me, I could spend hours sneaking around and finding new rooms and treasure. Best moment so far was climbing the highest tower and putting my travel gate thingy there for mah convenience.

Makes me wish the divine beasts had been more... deadly. And if there had been two or three more memories at really out of the way cool places (why never the beach?) then I'd have a hard time complaining.

Drahsid

Also, Majora's Mask is basically all of Kilton's masks into one. I can't believe you sold it...
I didn't sell it (I just checked the price) and it also doesn't seem to have the effect of the Lynel mask.

I have to say hyrule castle is the best part of the entire game if you ask me, I could spend hours sneaking around and finding new rooms and treasure. Best moment so far was climbing the highest tower and putting my travel gate thingy there for mah convenience.

I agree, and I know my friend does as well (I initially played it with a pal). The music there is by far the best in the game, and with little gear it is much more fun than it is end game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom