• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Bombchus and the Lens of Truth

Twilight King

The Actual Hero of Time
I got to thinking this morning about what would be some nice items that would work well with the Wii U and that we haven't seen in a while, and these two were at the top of my list. We haven't seen Bombchus since PH and ST, and before then, OoT and MM (I think, I Haven't played MC or FS yet so I have no idea), and I think I might know why.

In the 3D games (Meaning anything not top-down, not on the 3DS), you placed the Bombchus on the ground and they'd run around in a (more or less) straight line until impact. This got very annoying as the controls were pretty awful for these little cat-like bombs, but they weren't necessary to gameplay, so all was forgiven (At least for those games).

In the DS games, we got to use these in an entirely new way. We could draw out paths for the Bombchus, which they would follow in order to turn on/off switches or kill an enemy around the corner.

I believe that Nintendo noted the mistake with putting them into the 3D games and cut their losses before it progressed too long (Could you imagine Bombchus in WW or TP?)

However, now that we're moving into the Wii U, we have a stylus and a touch screen not unlike that of the DS, so it got me thinking that..... we could see a return of the Bombchus! What would you guys think? I, personally, dislike the item because it takes too long to dish out and it can get annoying if you draw its path just a bit off, but, if done properly, I think that we could see this item become a great addition to the HD arsenal.

THe second item that came to mind was the Lens of Truth. It was primarily used in OoT for finding fake walls and enemies in the Shadow Temple, but wasn't too useful besides that. It was a nuisance in that it used up magic power, but I think it could be so much better.

Gyroscope technology has been implemented into the Wii U gamepad and the 3DS, and we saw the usefulness of this when we needed to aim our slingshot, bow, or just look around in OoT 3D, and I think something like this could be used to bring the Lens of Truth to an era of greatness. If, say, we could equip the lens of truth in Zelda U and move the controller, looking into the screen on the controller to see what's hidden while the TV screen stays the same, this tool would become more fun and easy to use, I think.

So.... what do you guys think? Would you like to see a return of these two items?

Honestly, I would love to see bombchus along with the lens of Truth. I agree with you with the lens of truth. I think that you could look down on the control pad to see through the lens of truth, and have the T.V screen be black or something along that lines. What I think would be cool with the bombchus would be using the control pad and have a first person view of the bombchu and move to control pad left to go left and right to go right, and have one of the buttons have the option to explode!

MW7

You make a really good case for both items, and you've convinced me to want them now. It's starting to seem like Nintendo designed the Wii U with Zelda very much in mind. Zelda Wii U has the very unique opportunity to bring the DS style items to a 3d console Zelda. Along with more traditional 3d items this game should have a lot of potential for creative puzzles involving the items. Specifically bombchus are really awesome when you can draw out the path, and the lens of truth is something I've been starting to miss.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Ya i've thought since I saw the Wii U that a Zelda U could use the pad for lens of truth. I would like to see the lens return because the fake walls/ invisible enemies opened up alot of design options.

The boomchus were cool but I could take it or leave it.

I would also very much like to see the lens of truth return. I would rather see bomb arrows return over bombchus. I would also like to see a good use of the lantern return as well.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I'd rather not see bomb arrows return, they became a bit excessive at exploding enemies too easily.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd rather see bomb arrows return than bombchus, but who says we can't have them both? As for the Lens of Truth, anything that uses magic is a-okay with me.

Regarding the usage, I see no reason why the gamepad SHOULDN'T be implemented into the game. Although I hate the game myself, Nintendo's NintendoLand features some ingenious ways to use the Gamepad for some good single player fun. You can use the gyroscope to pilot a racecar thing, use the touch controls, and even use the analog sticks for moving about (duh). Now, those are basic, so I'd love to see some light-to-medium integration of the Gamepad in Zelda that more than makes a meaningful, GREAT experience for over 92% of the playerbase. ^^

As with all things, though, I think the gamepad would have to be non-compulsory else you'll get many complaints. D:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Both of these items seem like great additions to Zelda U. Utilizing the Wii U technology in such a way seems really intriguing to me, and I would love to see the folks over at Nintendo take full advantage of everything the console is capable of for this game. Using the gamepad as a lens is a great way to improve item usage, especially with such a long and forgotten item. It might also be possible to use the GamePad's camera as the Lens of Truth, and look on the GamePad screen to see the hidden secrets. This could work really well, and make the game that much better.

As for the bombchus, I would be lying if I said I didn't freaking love this item! And controlling them in the DS games made them that much more fun to use, because we could decide where we want them to go. In OOT/MM, they just go straight, so they could be quite inaccurate (I suppose I should include the Bomblings from Twilight Princess, since they were similar). Having the ability to control their path on the GamePad, then watching where they go on the TV screen, could be an excellent way to include TV/GamePad interaction to the full extent. Like I said, taking advantage of the technology at hand is what Nintendo needs to do to make this as awesome of a game as they are anticipating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom