• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Handheld Zelda Game?

What is your favorite handheld Zelda game?

• Link's Awakening

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Oracle of Seasons & Oracle of Ages

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Four Swords

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Minish Cap

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Phantom Hourglass

• Spirit Tracks

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • A Link Between Worlds

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Tri Force Heroes

• Hyrule Warriors Legends

• Other

• Total voters

Din.Farore.Nayru

Extraordinary Machine
Not counting the 3D remakes, what is your favorite handheld Zelda game and why? Does anyone prefer the handheld games overall to home console games?

I missed a bunch of the handheld games (Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, and the Minish Cap), and I'd love to know what people think of them / which I should play first!

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
For me it's Link's Awakening, specifically the DX version with color.
The thing that makes me love this game is that there is so much more to it than meets the eye. It doesn't look that impressive, graphically, but the game, story and gameplay is great!

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
Links awakening was my first game so that gets my vote however I love Oracle of ages as well.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I loved Oracle of Ages and Seasons, mostly due to fond memories of playing Seasons while my sister played Ages. We'd always loved the Zelda series, but it would usually result in one of us having to sit out for long periods of time and watch the other. It was nice to have two games to play simultaneously and talk about.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
Link's Awakening was the most touching story in the entire series, and it validated the theory of handheld games being on the same level as home console titles. If it wasn't for that, mobile gaming would never have become as popular and powerful a medium of creativity as it is.
I really loved all the old Gameboy ones, they had seemingly so little to work with, but they made games that faced off against home titles and emerged victorious.

Din.Farore.Nayru

Extraordinary Machine
Link's Awakening was so engaging its hard to believe it's a handheld. I also really loved the oracle games upon replaying them; their bosses and dungeons really don't get enough love from the larger community (specifically the puzzle boss that was smog haha)

I totally agree with you about the Oracle games! I feel like no one ever thinks to bring them up. They are so underrated. I recently got them both on the eShop, and I can't wait to replay them because I so enjoyed them when I was little. They were the third Zelda games I ever played after Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Minish Cap is ahead in the poll, and I've read in other threads that people appreciate that game - what does everyone voting for MC love about that game? Same with Spirit Tracks. I have to be honest when I say I want to play both of them but that they both seem a little gimmicky to me (and tbh the DS graphics style just has never done much for me). Do they have great stories?

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
Minish Cap is ahead in the poll, and I've read in other threads that people appreciate that game - what does everyone voting for MC love about that game? Same with Spirit Tracks. I have to be honest when I say I want to play both of them but that they both seem a little gimmicky to me (and tbh the DS graphics style just has never done much for me). Do they have great stories?

I didn't vote for either of those, but I loved them nonetheless. Minish Cap presented clever gameplay elements based around the story, which centers upon the creation of the Four Sword. It also used a shrinking mechanic that presented the world in a new way. A simple Chuchu became the most terrifying of gigantic beasts! As for the DS titles, they were a major change from the series in terms of gameplay, but the puzzles and dungeons still live up to the rest of the series. Plus the score of Spirit Tracks is asking best in the series. They're not for everyone, I know many who still decry their gimmicky controls and cartoony art style, but I say they're worth giving a chance.

Link's Awakening hands down.

Didnt much care for the Oracles or Minish, really didnt like PH even though theres a good game in there had they made it a true sequel to WW and used the TotOK as they did the Spirit Tower in ST.

ST was okay but has nothing on LA.

TFH/FS dont count and ALBW was too familiar to be new and just made me want to play ALttP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom