• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Best Case Scenario-Worst Case Scenario

The point is that everyone is not going to accept it if the game turns out to be twilight princess 2.0 . There is almost no excuse for them to not make it the best case scenario. They have had enough time, enough imput and feedback, enough room to switch things up totally ( them not showing anything at all gives them the opportunity to change basically anything that they feel like.) and enough experience to know what to do with the series.

I think there are a couple of different ways the game could go, but I don't think the game will "bad" even in a worst case scenario.

Best Case
The transition to open world is seamless and natural - Zelda U implements an open world that doesn't try to compromise quality in the name of quantity, and the world that we're given is both interesting and rewarding to explore. The side content in general is fun and provides some interesting stories on its own, enough to make seeking such content worth taking a break from the main story. At the same time, Zelda U doesn't put such an emphasis on exploration that dungeon design suffers in the process. Dungeons are varied, provide interesting mechanics, and maintain a great atmosphere that makes each one stand out. The game uses the gamepad/whatever other input device well, and the game handles perfectly.

The game doesn't allow the open world to get in the way of telling a decent story, and the story ends up being quite nice with some great moments. To do this, the game has a strong cast of side characters, a memorable villain, and a companion who manages to stand out as a great character without any of the hand-holding flaws of past companions. All in all, in the best case scenario Zelda U would bring together the individual strengths of past entries in the franchise without taking their issues as well. In this case Zelda U would likely be the "definitive" title in the franchise, but the chances of the game putting together so many series strengths without having its own issues are little to none - its why every other entry has had its own strengths and weaknesses.

Worst Case
In the worst case scenario, Zelda U is clearly a cut below past entries in the series. It takes too many risks in the process of trying to be some kind of "revolution" on the Zelda formula, and in the process none of the risks turn out well. Exploration ends up being a case of content quantity over content quality, and as a result most of the things available to do feel like things you've done elsewhere in the world - and they weren't too fun the first time around either. The game also sacrifices in the dungeon department in order to implement the open world, delivering uninspired dungeons that just come off as completely mediocre. The core gameplay of Zelda U isn't great - its still probably a step up over most games out there, but its a far cry from the other entries in the series.

Based off some of the trends with other Nintendo franchises lately, the worst case scenario for the story would probably involve either a massive amount of hand holding or simply killing off any real story. In either case we'd probably end up with a story that simply has no moments worth mentioning, and leaves no real reason to care for anything in the world. Characters would be unremarkable, and the companion would feel more like a talking game manual than anything else. This scenario also seems a little extreme to me. I doubt that we'll see a 3D Zelda game as weak as the one outlined in this scenario, the chances of it happening are about as likely as the near perfect game outlined above.

Most Likely Scenario

I thought I'd go ahead and outline what seems most likely to me, since the best/worst case scenarios seem rather unlikely. In truth, I'm expecting Zelda U to be to the same level as every other 3D entry to date - some elements of it are phenomenal, while others are below the standards set by predecessors. With Zelda U I'd probably expect it to be something where the core exploration is actually really enjoyable and rewarding. You'll probably hear people going on about it for months after the games release, and it'll be one of those things that keeps the game in good standing in the franchise. On the other hand, the game will have some flaws like the other entries - unremarkable dungeons, a bunch of annoying side characters, something along those lines. This will annoy plenty of people, and it will cause some to hold the game in poor regard relative to the other games in the series.

The end result in this case would be roughly the same result from every other 3D Zelda game: a game that's generally well received, but not some kind of definitive "greatest Zelda game ever made." Like Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and even Skyward Sword, Zelda U would have plenty of people who hold the game to the highest regard in the series while others simply think it does everything wrong. I think that's the most likely scenario, simply because that's what we've seen happen with every past entry.

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
The point is that everyone is not going to accept it if the game turns out to be twilight princess 2.0 . There is almost no excuse for them to not make it the best case scenario. They have had enough time, enough imput and feedback, enough room to switch things up totally ( them not showing anything at all gives them the opportunity to change basically anything that they feel like.) and enough experience to know what to do with the series.
They have had more then enough time the game wouldve been done by now but they delayed it giving them more time so thats plenty of time to make an excellent game if they started the game development after or even during skyward swords development

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Best Case

• A world that isn't too big
  • A world that makes you want to explore
  • A world that isn't a chore to explore either
  • Open-world in parts, but not for its own sake
  • A truly engaging story, with characters that make you care about them
  • Towns and villages that feel alive; not necessarily big, but not like Xenoblade X's New Los Angeles, for example
- this goes for Hyrule Castle Town in Twilight Princess as well. There were lots of NPCs, but it didn't "feel" alive
  • A world with nature that feels alive as well; i.e., not every animal is trying to kill you
  • Stays true to the lore of the series; i.e., no Linkle
  • A well-developed villain
  • Visuals that complement the console; getting the most out of the console without compromising
- again, I reference Xenoblade X: Mira is big and beautiful but there is too much pop-up and things take too long to load
  • Controls that make sense; no forced GamePad implementation as with Skyward Sword and motion control
  • No Fi-like character, at all

Worst Case

• A world that is big for the sake of big, too big, that is void, empty, and soulless
  • Too open-world or too linear
  • Another cliche story that is too predictable
  • A big, busy world that tries to feel alive by throwing a lot of stuff at the player, but just feels fake; i.e., exactly what happened with Xenoblade X
  • Tries to change the formula too much; tries to emulate "modern" WRPGs
  • Voice acting for everyone but Link
  • Fetch quests
  • Informational boxes that pop up every single time you collect an item after you restart the game
  • Motion controls of any kind
  • Forced/gimmicky implementation of the GamePad
  • Tries to be too much like Xenoblade X; tries to do too much and fails to deliver in parts
  • Keeps anything from Skyward Sword, including enemy models, character styles, etc.
  • Tries to be like Skyrim; sells its soul

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom