• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Behind Majora's Mask...

T

Tuah

... is a face!

I mean that both literally and figuratively, as this little article will serve to provide a deeper look into the game's symbolism and story.

First off, if you haven't played Majora's Mask, you might want to, or this article won't have any meaning to you. Go play it, especially if it's ever remade for 3DS. <3
If you haven't read the Tower of Babel theory, I'll basically summarize it and add my own parts to it. A great version can be found here: http://www.zeldauniverse.net/articles/the-message-of-majoras-mask/

The Tower

So we have the Stone Tower Temple. Ikana is a completely dead land, and very little is known about what it was like before. Makes it kind of eerie to go to.
But there are signs there that depict what the tower is, and who it belongs to. Look at the blocks that you have to move around. They depict hunched-over men licking their privates with the Triforce covering them. Don't believe me? Check 'em out. Yeah, I missed it the first time too. They're so obscure-looking that younger players wouldn't notice, but they're there.

At the top of the tower is the temple; constructed in the likeness of a giant's head, along with a large statue of a hand pointing a flaming finger toward the heavens. There are also some more mature symbols probably not fit for the forums.

It's obvious that these are symbols of contempt and hatred toward the Goddesses, and the likeness to the giants, as well as the Giant's Mask inside, are signs of favor for the four giants over the goddesses.

The Stone Tower architects were likely heathens, judging by these clues. And what would heathens do with such a tall tower? Look high above the temple's entrance, and you will notice a swirling vortex; a portal to the heavens, much like the bible's Tower of Babel. (Hence the popular "Tower of Babel" theory for the game.)
As you discover in the temple, there is the obelisk-like Giant's Mask. We can assume that this would be a weapon of sorts, crafted to bestow the wearer with the likeness and power of Termina's giants- to be used against the Goddesses.

But as you discover upon getting the Light Arrows, when light is shined upon the blood-red jewel in the temple, the tower is flipped. It has been suggested that the Goddesses punished the heathens by flipping their tower; their portal to the Heavens became a portal to Hell; a desolate, storm-filled desert.

Now notice at the entrance to the temple; the giant, broken statue at the entrance looks a bit like Majora's Mask with the bottom part broken off (broken, and fallen into that hellish relam?). It sounds like a stretch, especially considering that it only has two spikes on each cheek instead of four. But look in Twinmold's lair- the towers clearly show Majora's Mask, but drawn with two spikes instead of four- quite like the statue at the entrance.

The "tribe" the Happy Mask Salesman mentioned could have been these heathens. They found Majora's Mask sealed in "shadow" (this hellish realm), built statues in its honor, and added it to their arsenal of dark magic.
Eventually the 'tribe of legend' disappeared.

But just who was that tribe? Notice that there are two groups in Ikana; the Royal Family, and the Garo. These are definitely Termina's versions of Hyrule's Royal Family and the Sheikah. Even some of the same relics exist; the Mask of Truth and Gossip Stones.
The Sheikah are ninja who use Shadow magic to protect the royal family, so they are very close. But in the land of Termina, betrayal is very common- the king of Ikana mentions that their land came to ruin because of pointless bickering between friends.

He also mentions that even all his greatest soldiers couldn't have conquered the tower, suggesting that it was owned by the other group; the Garo. Now, it'd be my guess that they one day built it together before the Garo betrayed the Royal Family, as shown by the fact that the same statues from the tower are seen inside Ikana Castle.

What's really important is that the Garo were the tribe that tried to assault the Sacred Realm using a variety of Shadow Magic, then mysteriously disappeared. All that's left is the hollow shells of the dead Garo.

The Giants and Majora

Where did the Giants come from? Well, when you beat each boss the remains say that the spirit trapped inside the mask has been released, and you then speak with one of the giants. Obviously, the giants are great spirits trapped inside the masks; much like a person who hides behind a facade.
Each boss is the facade that the giant has become consumed by; a warrior, a beast, a fish, and a serpent.

When Link travels into the moon, he discovers a giant grassy field with a lone tree, and four children playing with the boss' masks, and one lone child sitting under the tree wearing Majora's Mask. The children have perfectly combed reddish-brown hair, yellow skin, and are obsessed with masks.
This obviously isn't literal, but a symbol; the memories within the mask itself. Majora remembers this scene; his friends playing, using their masks to pretend they are someone else; developing a facade. Each boss mask represents something, but what form does Majora's Mask take? None really. It doesn't represent anything, and that could be the very reason the others didn't want to play with Majora.

The four beings eventually go away, their facades and pride developed until they saw themselves as guardians. They fashioned themselves as giants; protectors of people.

Majora sees the others for who they really are inside, so the memory depicts them as children.

Now, this child has two parts developed so far; the lost, confused side who can't see why his friends left him, and the good, happy side who is content with being himself. This "imp" from the legend could be his saddened side acting out for attention. But his blind, prideful friends turn him away to the "heavens" (possibly a 'promised land' like Hyrule). The path to Hyrule happens to lead through the Lost Woods.

Remember what happens to spirits who get lost in the woods? They become Skull Kids.
So Majora, having two sides to his personality, becomes two; the lost, confused Skull Kid, and the remaining innocent spirit-child. (Interesting how both the Skull Kid and Majora have a fondness for masks...)
Perhaps Majora went on to sell masks? The child on the moon and the Happy Mask Salesman look extremely similar, and it happens to fit. Plus, for loving masks so much, the Salesman doesn't ever wear any. Perhaps he sees them for what they are, just as he sees himself for who he really is.

How this fits with other games.

So, having read all that, you may wonder about other games like Twilight Princess, and why the Fused Shadows have the same eye as Majora's Mask?
It is probably not a coincidence.

Well first off, who are the Twili? They are a tribe of Shadow-magic users who tried to assault the sacred realm, then were banished to the Twilight Realm.

What other clues do we have? Note the name, Fused Shadows. And notice two properties of its shape; a tall, obelisk-like shape, and the Eye of Majora's Mask.
On the back of the Fused Shadows, hidden under a large piece (almost invisible unless you're looking at the actual 3D model used in the game), is the Garo/Sheikah eye symbol.
The symbol also appears on the very top of Midna/Zant's throne in the Twilight Realm.

Pretty crazy, eh?

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed it, and I hope to hear your opinions.

Flagpole

I'm back!!
Pretty impressive!
Your theory about the tower is pretty much great, a word that resumes it perfectly. It seems this theory can perfectly fit with the game, and I find it is very close to the correct answer to what the tower really is, it's history, how it was built, etc., if not the most correct theory.

As for your Giants theory, I can't really say anything: the moonchilds, the Giants, the Boss Mask's can give so much theories you can't really say which theory is the correct one. I can say it is kind of convincing, but I can't really tell you how close it is to the correct theory. Anyways, good job!

I've never seen a Fused Shadow because I've never played Twilight Princess, but I'll be sure to check them to see if I can confirm what you are telling.

It seems you are able to make some good theories. Great job! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom