• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Beedle is from the Surfaceworld in Skyward Sword

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
In Skyward Sword, you encounter Beedle and according to dialogue, Link takes notice that he has an accent................WHAT?
Everyone is in a small city in the sky!

HOW COULD HE HAVE AN ACCENT THAT IS DIFFERENT FROM EVERYONE ELSE IN SKYLOFT??!

Everyone in the sky has been there for around a thousand years, so they should all have the same manner of speaking; but Beedle is noted for having an accent?

To further reinforce my theory, Beedle is strange when compared to the others in Skyloft.
  • He lives on an isolated island that is one of the furthest away from everyone else in Skyloft.
  • He doesn't fly with a Loftwing, he uses an airship shop to get around the sky.
  • He has an obsession with a beetle that isn't found anywhere else in the game. Given that we can only explore small sections of the three regions of the Surface World, the Horned Colossus Beetle is likely from a region elsewhere in the game.
I propose that Beedle was told stories about the Goddess raising a city in the sky in his youth. Then he set out to build a flying contraption out of his house, flew up to the sky and found Skyloft. Then he decided that he would like to stay up there where the monsters were a minimum of Keese and Chu-Chus.

It would explain his accent and why he is the only character in the game with a notably darker skin and why he is one of the only characters with round ears.
HE ISN'T HYLIAN !
Only Hylians were brought up to the sky by Hylia herself. Which means other "Human" races such as the Zonai, Gerudo, and whoever else were still on the surface and survived in pockets here and there.

I rest my case.
Beedle was not born in the sky and likely kept this detail to himself when interacting with anyone because it would sound crazy to a bunch of people who cannot see the surface and have forgotten about it entirely. He likely isolates himself on the island that is closest to where he breached the cloud-barrier, closest to home. Perhaps he has no home to go back to as it might have been destroyed by monsters raiding as he took off?

Thoughts anyone?

Judgement

Vile? I am a sorcerer now.
Actually a really good theory, I'd like to believe this! :D You raise some very good points, he's definitely not Hylian. I wonder if he'd be from a region we played through in SS?

RamboBambiBambo

Actually a really good theory, I'd like to believe this! :D You raise some very good points, he's definitely not Hylian. I wonder if he'd be from a region we played through in SS?
We only explore a limited extent of Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru.
We do know of there being other regions of Hyrule. Namely :
  • Hebra
  • Akkala
  • Necluda
  • Ordona
He could come from any of these ones, considering that the Horned Colossus Beetle is nowhere found in Faron, Eldin, or Lanayru. And given what the Gorons, Kikwi, Mogmas, and Parella say; they haven't seen any Humanoids and Link is entirely new to them. So it is likely not common knowledge that Humanoids exist on the surface.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Are these regions confirmed in the SS Hyrule? :eek: If so, thats really cool! Were they hinted somewhere in the game?
RamBam likes to do this a lot. Almost nothing they say is ingame canon, so take it all with a grain of salt

This would be really interesting :'D Imagine having 1 male baby in 100 years and giving birth to Beedle <3
I imagine this would be before ganondorf is a thing, since it's skyward sword/prehistory

RamboBambiBambo

RamBam likes to do this a lot. Almost nothing they say is ingame canon, so take it all with a grain of salt

I imagine this would be before ganondorf is a thing, since it's skyward sword/prehistory
.......you do realize that we do only explore a SMALL portion of the surfaceworld in Skyward Sword? Three specific regions that in the overworld map have CLEAR gaps between them. I mean, the forest doesn't just shift into a volcanic range and a scorching desert. There are lands in between those regions.
Skyward-Sword-World-Map.png

Since these regions are named Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru; it is logical to assume that the other regions of the world are to be still there and not just imminent void.

After all, just because you read a book that takes place in California; does suddenly the rest of the United States not exist? What about the rest of the world? Does the universe of that book only have California and nothing else but an empty void or uncharted lands?

We know that the surface world has plenty of regions within the reach of Hyrule's traditional borders and I named them. Just because we do not explore a part of the world in a game doesn't mean that part of the world no longer exists.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
You don't know that those regions do exist this early on though. Stop acting like everything is a foregone conclusion just because nothing exists to contradict it

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I used to think maybe Beedle was just socially recluse, and since he lived on an island well removed from Skyloft, he had a different accent.

But it's worth noting that the only thing that kept the Skyloftians from leaving the sky was the cloud barrier that loftwings could not breach. Since Beedle isn't using a loftwing to fly around it's possible he can go down to the surface. So like you theorized, maybe he is from the surface world.

RamboBambiBambo

You don't know that those regions do exist this early on though. Stop acting like everything is a foregone conclusion just because nothing exists to contradict it
Granted, yes the regions were not named. But the landscapes still exist! After all, we do not see the "wide open grassland fields" that would come to be known as "Hyrule Field" nor do we see the "frozen mountain peaks" that would one day come to be known as the "Hebra" region.

Judgement

Vile? I am a sorcerer now.
Granted, yes the regions were not named. But the landscapes still exist! After all, we do not see the "wide open grassland fields" that would come to be known as "Hyrule Field" nor do we see the "frozen mountain peaks" that would one day come to be known as the "Hebra" region.
It's possible that those unnamed landscapes would become the regions you've named, but it's not a given that every adaption of Hyrule has the same regions. In fact, it's quite the contrary. We've seen multiple Zelda games having different Hyrule layouts, different region names and even having different races/societies from each other. So while it could be possible that those unnamed landscapes in SS are the regions you mentioned, it could very well not be the case. All in all, it's a toss-up with no real foundation to ground any claim of region names.

RamboBambiBambo

It's possible that those unnamed landscapes would become the regions you've named, but it's not a given that every adaption of Hyrule has the same regions. In fact, it's quite the contrary. We've seen multiple Zelda games having different Hyrule layouts, different region names and even having different races/societies from each other. So while it could be possible that those unnamed landscapes in SS are the regions you mentioned, it could very well not be the case. All in all, it's a toss-up with no real foundation to ground any claim of region names.
You point that we have seen different layouts of Hyrule in each game is kinda moot. Mostly because of the fact that is a videogame series with the core feature being an adventure and exploration.

Take a look at Elder Scrolls. The sections of The Elder Scrolls Online that take place in Morrowind, Cyrodiil, and Skyrim DO NOT make a 1:1 match up of the topography of TES III, TES IV, and TES V's game worlds.

Mainly because they do not want the landscape and adventure to become stale. BUT they are supposed to be a representation of how the landscape and the region is aesthetically. Skyrim is by majority a taiga type landscape with a frozen northern half. Cyrodiil is grasslands and forests. Morrowind is and ashen and volcanic landscape.

We see this translate in the Zelda franchise as well.

The Eldin region of Twilight Princess doesn't match up with the topography of Skyward Sword or Breath of the Wild's version of those regions. But both are volcanic and rocky mountain terrain. The Faron region in all games is typically a heavily forested biome. The Lanayru Region is depicted as a region with waters and is typically a neighbor to the Gerudo Desert OR in Skyward Sword's case, is BOTH the desert and the sea.

The World Map is supposed to be a representation of the world we enjoy.

Take a look at Ocarina of Time. We see no farmland in the game. No fields of crops with farmers. The closest thing we see is Lon-Lon Ranch. The only village that the Kingdom of Hyrule has within its realm is Kakariko Village.

The Wind Waker is even worse in my opinion. Small islands that everybody has survived on, and yet there is again no farmlands. And the people of Windfall Island are but a merchant island that other islanders dream of sailing for. And yet with the exception of Outset Island, Greatfish Isle, and Dragon Roost Island... there are no other islands with actual civilization.

And with Skyward Sword's Skyloft. It is a very small island in the sky that people have settled. We are supposed to believe it has been up in the sky for a thousand years. Yet there is so little housing on the island and the farmland we do see is so small and tiny. Resources should be SCARCE up in the sky, but everyone is bright and cheery as if there shouldn't be a food shortage from eating nothing but pumpkins for a thousand years.

Twilight Princess was the most realistic Zelda world we got until Breath of the Wild came out. We had more than one village in the game as Ordon Village made its one appearance in the franchise. We had ABUNDANT waters coming from the Zora Spring as we saw the immense river and the sheer size of Lake Hylia as compared to Pond Hylia we saw in Ocarina of Time. We saw wide open fields and it made Hyrule feel a lot more like a legitimate Kingdom rather than a small noble state.

My point is that each game has to make its own world unique so that it DOESN'T become bland in a game about adventure, discovery, exploration, and landscape puzzles. We already have a lot of people worried that Breath of the Wild 2 would feel boring since the game would take place in the same world map (though heavily modified to still keep things fresh and interesting).

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Take a look at Elder Scrolls. The sections of The Elder Scrolls Online that take place in Morrowind, Cyrodiil, and Skyrim DO NOT make a 1:1 match up of the topography of TES III, TES IV, and TES V's game worlds.
Lol TES Online is trash, fans play it because they have nothing better to do. Ask any of them and the overwhelming majority will say they'd rather be playing TES VI right now than getting more updates to TES Online.

RamboBambiBambo

Lol TES Online is trash, fans play it because they have nothing better to do. Ask any of them and the overwhelming majority will say they'd rather be playing TES VI right now than getting more updates to TES Online.
Granted yes ESO is the butt of the series. BUT it still shows regions we explore in the other games that have MANY changes to topography and such. Some areas are slightly tweaked while others are entirely different because the game is just a representation of the region we are playing in and not a 1-to-1 recreation with some changes to buildings here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom