• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

At what point does a game become too gimmicky?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The moment the gimmick stops being fun. Though a tired subject, I look at my experience with the motion controls in Skyward Sword. There quickly came a point while playing that game where the controls stopped being tolerable and starting making me think, 'Would this be less fun on a regular controller?' At that point, the gimmick is bad.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I had heard once that when making Twilight Princess, they had originally intended to assign sword fighting to a button. But when they gave it to test audiences, they kept instinctively swinging the wiimote instead. To me, that basically sums up what a good gimmick is, something that feels natural and improves gameplay. With Skyward Sword, the motion controls impaired gameplay because they were finicky and difficult to carry out. So like a lot of people here have been saying, the game comes first and gimmicks second. It's not okay for the game to require a function just to promote it at the cost of the gameplay.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I had heard once that when making Twilight Princess, they had originally intended to assign sword fighting to a button. But when they gave it to test audiences, they kept instinctively swinging the wiimote instead. To me, that basically sums up what a good gimmick is, something that feels natural and improves gameplay. With Skyward Sword, the motion controls impaired gameplay because they were finicky and difficult to carry out. So like a lot of people here have been saying, the game comes first and gimmicks second. It's not okay for the game to require a function just to promote it at the cost of the gameplay.
skyward sword and twilight princess are literally the same though? If you can't swing a wiimote properly you can't swing a wiimote properly

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
TIL real life swordfights are bad game design

I mean, it easily devolves to iffy design when the controls are as primitive as the Wii's (even with Motion Plus). Motion controls didn't really become functionally precise until the introduction of stuff like the Vive and Oculus Rift controllers. Wii Motion Plus is still crippled by the need to set the controller down and recalibrate if you move too quickly.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I mean, it easily devolves to iffy design when the controls are as primitive as the Wii's (even with Motion Plus). Motion controls didn't really become functionally precise until the introduction of stuff like the Vive and Oculus Rift controllers. Wii Motion Plus is still crippled by the need to set the controller down and recalibrate if you move too quickly.
That doesnt have anything to do with the design though. The execution could be flawed due to hardware issues (issues that I've never personally experienced) but that isnt what defines when something is good or bad game design

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
That doesnt have anything to do with the design though. The execution could be flawed due to hardware issues (issues that I've never personally experienced) but that isnt what defines when something is good or bad game design

It comes down to both. The implementation of imprecise motion controls were the gimmick of Skyward Sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom