• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Confirmed

Ubisoft has confirmed the next game in the Assassin's Creed franchise-Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. Rumors were true: The game features pirates.

Additionally details be be unveiled Monday, March 4. The PS3 version features an hour of exclusive gameplay. Assassin's Creed IV is also confirmed for the Xbox 360 and Wii U.

acps31-610x705.jpg

What are your thoughts about this announcement? What are your thoughts on the inclusion of pirates in the series for the first time?

octorok74

TETTAC
Lame. Too much water. I liked the idea of naval missions in ACIII, but this is too much. I want the days of Altair where if you even touched some water you desyched. It made the game challenging. I guess I will be fine so long as they don't have the full synchronization method they had in 3 where you need to do the little challenges. That was annoying and a bad decision in my mind.

But I hate the pirate idea.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Interesting... While I likely won't be getting the game as soon as it comes out, I will definitely keep an eye on its progress. Can't help wondering about the historical placement. Is Connor still going to be the Assassin, or is it going to be in an entirely different time era altogether?

DarkLink7

I make my own fate!
Is Connor still going to be the Assassin, or is it going to be in an entirely different time era altogether?

Most likely it will be a new era, because pirates weren't big until about mid- 1800s, and Connor would have been older than Ezio in ACRev. And in case you haven't noticed, each # features a new assassin: 1= Altaïr, 2= Ezio, 3= Connor, 4= ?. ACB, and ACRev were sub- games of ACII.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Most likely it will be a new era, because pirates weren't big until about mid- 1800s, and Connor would have been older than Ezio in ACRev.

AC4 is centred around Edward Kenway, the father of Haytham and the grandfather of Conner. It's set in I think 1715. Can't remember the exact year but it's early 18th century anyway, the age of the pirates.

As a side note, Ezio died over 250 years before Conner was born.

Anyway, the theme is pirates. I like this.
It features another Kenway, which means we will likely get some more information on Haytham, my favourite AC character ever. I like this.
Being based on pirates it will likely have a big focus on the kind of naval combat we saw introduced in AC3 which was, in my opinion, the best part of the game. I like this.

So far, there's nothing to make me think that I won't enjoy AC4 thoroughly. As it stands, it is on my wish list and I doubt that is going to change anytime soon. It sounds good and I look forward to a gameplay trailer at E3, probably. I am very pleased. Very pleased indeed.

Mido

Version 1
All I have to say is, Argh!!!! For pirates! But in all seriousness, this seems like it could be promising. I haven't heard too much about the game otherwise though.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I like the idea behind a pirate-themed Assassin's Creed. The ship portions of ACIII were incredible, so the potential of them coming back and being an even larger part of the gameplay is exciting. Plus, the setting is just really interesting. It'll have a completely different tone and theme than any previous title, so Black Flag just might be a breath of fresh air.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ubisoft's going the Activision route, it seems.

Hey now, Ubisoft might be making several games in a short time span, but they aren't anywhere near as incomplete as the Call of Duty franchise or anything else that Cashtivision puts out. That being said, I am a bit disappointed to see another AC release; didn't AC3 release like five months ago or so? Chill your buns a bit Ubi, let us divulge into the AC3 DLC before putting out a whole new game. :P

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Eh.

I really like pirates! Captain Jack Sparrow is an idol! However, I don't think I will be getting this game... Too much water, I suppose. The naval battles in AC3 were awesome! But that might be because they were optional and only a modest amount of them. But a game centered around naval combat? I don't know...

I also don't think I will ever get the same feeling from the remainder of the series as I did from the first 3 games (AC, ACII, AC::cool:. To me, Italy was the perfect setting for rooftop mischief. The running, the climbing, the jumping. For some reason I didn't get that out of III, and I doubt I will get it from a game centered around ships on the ocean.

Finally, as sad as it is to say, Assassin's Creed is becoming a CoD. A new installment every year? That'd be fine, if each and every game was a revolution (no AC3 pun intended). But they're not. Once I finished AC3's story, I realized that it was just the setting that kept changing and not the gameplay, yet I was still excited to play the multiplayer! Except it was so lackluster that I was thoroughly disappointed. It was just like the multiplayer in Brotherhood and Revelations, except with wolfpack and more menu clutter.

I don't think I'll like the setting of Black Flag and the gameplay/multiplayer of the series is getting old with little innovation and major changes being mixed in. So for now, I'm not excited.

Plus, the setting is just really interesting.

And you think the Wind Waker is a disgrace for its setting.

That being said, I am a bit disappointed to see another AC release; didn't AC3 release like five months ago or so? Chill your buns a bit Ubi, let us divulge into the AC3 DLC before putting out a whole new game. :P

AC3 was largely a massive disappointment. I think it's a smart move to try and get out of the AC3 era as fast as possible.

Honestly, I like the direction of this game. The Naval Combat aspect of AC3 was easily the greatest part of the game. Sure the missions got a bit tiresome after awhile, but the complexity of the combat, there were just so many things to pay attention to. And your ship was really customizable. I like how they're expanding that part of the game. AC3 was really ... just a major let down to me. It had a really exciting setting, and they really seemed like the whole game was half assed. Most of the features really felt like they had a good idea around them, but too much of the game felt like they didn't execute. I know AC is known for climbing buildings, and jumping off rooftops, but I like how they're taking a whole new direction with this game.

But I was really excited for AC3 and was highly disappointed, so hopefully that won't happen again.

Ganondork

goo
Yay for providing half of the information. Full information here.

octorok74 said:
I guess I will be fine so long as they don't have the full synchronization method they had in 3 where you need to do the little challenges. That was annoying and a bad decision in my mind.

You do know those are optional, yes? They're meant to give the game some form of challenge, since Assassin's Creed III was stupidly easy.

Thareous said:
Is Connor still going to be the Assassin

You're his grandfather.

Darklink7 said:
pirates weren't big until about mid- 1800s

Mid-1800s, around the time of Ancient Greeks. They're the same time period. Point is, no. Pirates have existed for centuries. Pirates in the Caribbean existed since the Caribbean was colonized.

Cfrock said:
It features another Kenway, which means we will likely get some more information on Haytham, my favourite AC character ever. I like this.

Or just read the book, "Forsaken?" It only provides a huge backstory of Haytham's life.

Mido said:
I haven't heard too much about the game otherwise though.

Because it was announced a month ago..

JuicieJ said:
It'll have a completely different tone and theme than any previous title,

Yes and no. We'll be visiting the Caribbean Islands frequently. I doubt being on the water will be a constant theme, but be on the islands more often.

Ventus said:
That being said, I am a bit disappointed to see another AC release; didn't AC3 release like five months ago or so?

Assassin's Creed III was announced two months after Assassin's Creed: Revelations' release. Also, annualisations tend to work like that. The game is going to be released somewhere between late 2013 and early 2014, so it may not even be within the year.

Lord Death said:
Too much water, I suppose

Yes, he's a pirate/privateer, but more importantly, he's an Assassin. There won't be many Templars roaming the waters, so he won't be constantly on the water.

I also don't think I will ever get the same feeling from the remainder of the series as I did from the first 3 games (AC, ACII, AC::cool:. To me, Italy was the perfect setting for rooftop mischief.

The original is set in Syria and the Holy Land...

For some reason I didn't get that out of III

The architecture focused less on height and more on foundation. He can't work with that. Trees were there for a reason; to climb.

Once I finished AC3's story, I realized that it was just the setting that kept changing and not the gameplay,

New combat scheme? Tree running? Naval missions? Modern era sequences?

I pretty much only agree with Viral Maze and Jarl Ballin.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
Compared to how excited I was over the announcement of AC3, this is just whatever to me. But I am interested to see how pirates will work, and glad they're also making it for PS3 and Xbox 360 since I probably won't have a PS4 or Nextbox by the release.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Yes and no. We'll be visiting the Caribbean Islands frequently. I doubt being on the water will be a constant theme, but be on the islands more often.

Caribbean Islands, huh? Then do you suppose Klaus Badelt will score this game?

[video=youtube;EynZ65x6Tmo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EynZ65x6Tmo[/video]

Really though, I'm making this point because of how obvious it is of Ubisoft pulling off the whole buccaneer thing. While this new game title might not be directly influenced by Pirates of the Caribbean, I wouldn't at all be surprised if to find PotC references or bits of compilations in the long run. For the sake of its survival, nevertheless, I hope Ubi develops a completely original story out of it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
And you think the Wind Waker is a disgrace for its setting.

If you can provide a quote that proves that I've said something remotely close to The Wind Waker being a disgrace for its freaking setting, I'll give you the moon for Christmas.

By that, I mean I've never said anything along those lines. The setting itself is cool. The execution wasn't. Kind of like Twilight Princess's "darker" tone.

AC3 was largely a massive disappointment. I think it's a smart move to try and get out of the AC3 era as fast as possible.

Eh, I wouldn't call it a massive disappointment. There were quite a few broken promises (and a ****load of glitches), but it managed to streamline the combat and provide the kind of freedom in the overworld that ACI failed so miserably at. It was definitely a disappointment, but not a massive one.

Yes, but how many areas that were even remotely similar to the Caribbean Islands have we visited in past Assassin's Creed games? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom