• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art Arthur and the Land Without a Name

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It was somewhere in the old Kingdom of Bryhen. The streets were empty and the rain was falling down from the skies above. It felt heavily. Neither you and me ever have seen such a rainy day as it was that day. The citizens of the small village Lofthyre were inside and some were drinking tea and some were drinking coffee. Lofthyre only knew a few streets because it was so small. The first street you entered was straight but at the end there was a small house with a very small garden. Here Lady Beth lived together with two young boys. Arthur and Olin were brothers. They were orphins. Their parents died many years ago during a war in the Kingdom of Neyrbu. Beth raised the two like they were her own sons.

Arthur was a 20 year old boy. He had raven black hair and dark brown eyes. His very thick and heavy black eyebrows made him always look serious and even depressed at times. He was about 6 ft tall and very slim. He was wearing a green shirt and a silver colored belt around his waist. On his left hip he had a small sword which was made by the craftsman of Lofthyre Rohin, Beneath his green shirt Arthur wore black pants with a pattern at both sides. His boots were black and covered with mud. Arthur loved to help Lady Beth out by doing her Garden. All his life he never knew any better. He was just one of those kids around. Standing a bit behind him was his younger brother Olin.

Olin was 17 years of age. His hair was mid blond and his eyes were blue grey. His cheeks were round and he had a cheerful look on his face. He was around the same heighth as his older brother but his eyebrows weren´t as thick even though they were dark as well. His shirt was light grey and he was wearing black pants and dark brown shoes. He didn´t wear a belt but a rope tied around his waist. He had a small dagger tied to his right hip.

Beth asked the boys to join her and drink some tea. The weather was bad anyway so they couldn´t work in the garden. Arthur and Olin loved drinking tea with Beth so they joined the old woman. Lady Beth was in her late 60´s and she was wearing a grey cloak around her shoulders, Her thick grey hair was tied up in a knot and her blue eyes were looking at the world beneath her grey eyebrows. She was wearing a light brownish sweater and a raven black skirt which covered her tiny feet. From her hands and face you could tell she always worked very hard.

Beth was sitting next to her window and was about to give the boys some tea. But Arthur refused. Lady Beth always spoiled them with her tea and now it was time to spoil her. Beth loved the boys. Ever since she had to raise them she protected them with her whole life. None of them could expect their lifes were about to change forever..........

A small carriage was riding on the road to Lofthyre. 4 gracious looking horses were in the front. In the carriage three persons were sitting.

"Are you sure we should do this?" A high female voice whispered.

"Of course Emily.....we waited for years but the time is right now. We can no longer hestitate. We don't even have a choice even if we want to. We are in danger and need help."

The high voice of the female called Emily interrupted. "For all those years I waited James but now we are so close. I just can't wait to hold them in my arms again."

The male voice talking earlier interrupted the female voice.

"Emily, I know you have waited for this moment for so long now but I hope the boys will accept their task. They are the only ones who can help us and I heard Arthur isn't the easiest one."

The carriage carried on with the three passengers aboard. Only the Lady called Emily and the man called James were talking. The other male was silent and he listened to his companions. There was no time to discuss all their plans. No more time to hold back. It had to happen.

"Angus why are you so quite?"

Emily looked at the man called Angus. He was carrying a letter. His eyes were sad.

"What am I suppose to say, knowing our dear Maggy is dying? How she would have loved to see them one more time. After all it was her who saved their lifes. We never should forget that."

The carriage was driving further until they reached the small town called Lofthyre

Last edited:

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Awesomely written despite typos here and there, but I totally understand that English is not your first language, just like me, so forget about those, I totally understood what you meant to say. I enjoyed the start of this story very much, with the mood you set up for it, you know, the rain falling, the description of the street and village/town. You introduced characters right away and did a good job by showing us what they look like and what they wear, what they do, their age, etc. Character introduction and explanation is always a must in stories, and if the writer does that for each character when their intro comes, that is a good sign that you are on to something good. :P

Good job, and I do hope I get to read more on this soon. ~Ao

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Chapter Two:

At the end of the first street they entered was a small white house. It had a roof made of clay and stone. It was dark red and also a bit of mid brown colored. The windows were round and small and the path leading from the front Door to the end of the Garden was made of stone. There was grass filled with all kinds of flowers. Roses, Lilies, Tulips, Daisy's, it was just a beautiful sight. Lady Beth was sitting behind her window and she was looking outside. Then she saw a Carriage arrive and it stopped in front of her Garden.

" Well, this must be it". The man called James said. He stepped out first. His age was somewhere around 65 years old. His eyes were blue/greyish. He had a greyish beard and dark grey hair which was covered by a high Hat he was wearing. He was dressed in a dark green/grey suit. His hands were covered with white gloves and in his right hand he was holding a walking stick he always held tightly under his arm. His pants had red stripes on the side of each leg and his boots were black. He reached out his hand to help Emily get out of the Carriage.

Emily-Rose was around the same age as James. She was a tiny bit younger like 63 years old. Her long grey hair was tied in a knot and she was wearing a gracious looking straw hat. It had a white color and a pink ribbon was hugging it tightly. Her eyes were blue and her face was friendly but you could tell she had been through a lot. Her eyes were having a sad look. Not that Emily-Rose was sad but her eyes could tell you the tale of her life. Around her neck she was wearing a silver necklace. Her dress was both white/light pink colored and it reached her ankles. Around her waist there was another pink ribbon. Her feet were hugged by small white shoes and her hands also were covered by white gloves. In her right hand she held her purse and under her left arm she held an umbrella in the same colors as her dress.

The third man was Angus. He was slightly younger than James and Emily. He was 56 years old. His hair was dark brown and his beard was the same color. He was wearing the same clothings as James did. But his eyes were dark brown. His thick eyebrows were almost covering his eyes.

"Well, well, well, look who we got here?" Beth hurried up and hugged Emily tightly.
" Rose, is that you????? How long has this been since I last saw you! AW james and Angus!"

Emily hugged the men and then asked them to come inside. While making some tea for her guests she also wondered what brought them to her place.

" We are here because we have something very important to tell you Beth and I don't know if you're gonna like it".

Angus handed over the letter he carried to Beth. She immidiatly started to read it because it seemed to be urgent.

" My dear sister,

By the time you get this letter I might be dead and gone. The reason I wrote this to you is because something is terribly wrong. I lived here for many peaceful years after the rage of Balthazar but now the tide is turning. For a long time we all thought Mustang was the one behind all these evil plans of Balthazar but we figured out it wasn't him. We found him and confronted him but now we know he was used as a tool for the evil King's plans.
Beth, you must allow Arthur to go to the Land of the Knights were he will become a knight and be trained as one because he is the only one who can help. Olin is too young and always has been sensitive so such a journey would be dangerous for him. You must tell Arthur, Beth. It will be too late for me. I kept this letter safe till the time was there for me to sent it. The time has come.

Never forget me my sister. And tell the children I will always love them.

Farewell,

Magdalena"

Beth felt tears coming up as she was reading her sister's letter. What was she going to tell the children? Especially Arthur always loved Mags dearly. After all she almost died while saving them.

" Well Beth, what do you say about this?" Emily said while lying a hand on Beth's shoulder.

" What is it with this Mustang? And how has he been used as a tool?" That was what Beth wanted to know.
Angus sat down in a cozy chair and now he stood up walking around while telling about Roy Mustang.

"Roy Mustang also known as the Blue Wizard because of his Blue Robe has always been an advisor to our former King. We all know his most special power is fire. Of course he is a wizard so he has much more skills but fire is his specialty. He has dark eyes and medium dark hair. When the kingdom felt and Balthazar took over Roy Mustang became his advisor. And he seemed to be more loyal to him than to our former King. Then we found out the day ,also known as the Day of Balthazar's Rage, began with fire spreading out over the country. And there were no dragons in sight so somehow this fire must have started somewhere. For years we assumed Roy Mustang helped the evil King but lately we discovered he didn't. He was forced by Balthazar by something he was terryfied of. Till today Mustang refuse to say anything about what it was."

Beth shook her head and shivered.
"This means Balthazar really has been planning this for what, maybe years??"

The three guests nodded their heads. Then James stood up.

"We are coming here to ask you if we can take Arthur with us. I know you will object but we aren't taking him just because he is one of many boys but we all know the words spoken by Balthazar and you know them too Beth".

Beth her mind went back to that day.
Balthazar was dressed in a red robe and was wearing a heavy golden crown on his head. His hair was raven black and his eyes were brown/green. He had a raven black mustache and his clothes were dark blue. He had a golden belt around his waist and a lion's head was in the middle of the belt. The eyes of the lion were red. It had been said the eyes could hypnotize you when you looked too long into them but none of this was proven yet. Still the belt looked scary. His pants were black and his brown boots covered his legs. His boots were covered with spikes just like his gloves, which were also black.
At the day he crowned himself King balthazar had laughed with the most evil laugh and had spoken the words: "No person can take away my Kingdom or can harm me. The one who does must be one of my own bloodline."

"Balthazar is Arthur's Uncle so Arthur is not from his direct bloodline".

James shook his head. "Nope Beth, Arthur is from his bloodline. Arthur's dad and Balthazar were brothers. The King was their father. Balthazar thinks by bloodline it is meant his own children which he doesn't have but he forget his own brother is from the same bloodline and so are the children Arthur and Olin".

Beth objected to let Arthur go because he was just a young boy.

"Beth, we are not going to send Arthur to Balthazar right now. Good lord, the boy would get killed immidiatly! No, we first will send him to the Land of the Knights were he will become a Knight and will learn how to fight and improve his skills."

Emily was interrupted when they heard a noise. Arthur was entering the Door.
Beth whispered. "It is not my choice to let him go. I think Arthur must decide for himself and he is just coming home from the woods."

A door opened and Arthur stepped inside.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Okay I continued:

Chapter three:

Arthur walked in and saw the faces of people he had never seen before. Of course he knew Beth but he didn't know the others. Beth grabbed his hand.
"Arthur my dear, come further. These people have something to discuss with you and hopefully you will help them out."
Angus stood up. "So you must be Arthur. Let me introduce myself to you. My name is Angus and these other people are James and Emily-Rose better known as Rose."
Arthur looked up to Beth. His eyes told her he was not willing to talk to people he never met.
"It's alright my dear. You can trust them. They are here for a very serious matter. They are here to bring news although it is not the news you love to hear."
Both Angus and James wanted to talk but Emily-Rose interrupted. "Just give him the letter Angus and let him read it. Only then he might get an idea what is going on."
Angus gave Arthur the letter from Maggie. "You will remember her, son. Even though it doesn't tell everything I hope you will know why we are here."
When Arthur read the letter tears filled his eyes. He knew Magdalena. He knew her since he was a kid. She always took care of them. She was the one who saved him and his brother from their burning house on that black day. She tried to rescue his mother but it was too late. Arthur never forgot what she had done. He laid the Letter on the table. "She is dead, isn't she?"

Emily-Rose nodded her head. "Yes my boy she died a few days before we made the journey here. "
Arthur narrowed his eyes at Rose. "I can sense you want to ask me to fight but I'm not a fighter. I can't handle a sword. I can only handle an axe because I have to cut wood everyday but that's it."
Beth stood up. "But my boy you won't have to worry about that. They want you to go to the Land of the Knights to learn how to become a knight."

Arthus shook his head. "I don't know if I can do it Beth. I mean I'm angry yes and sad and it left a mark on my past but how on earth am I going to be able to become a knight?"
Now James got up. He walked up to Arthur. "My boy, Maggie had faith in you. She asked us to go here and ask you if you would join and at least try to become a Knight. And by this she ment the ability to fight. She believed in you till her death. At least Arthur would you consider it? Do it for her."
Arthur walked away. He needed time to think. But then after 5 minutes he came back inside.
" Okay, I will do it but I do it for Maggie. But I want Olin to join me. Without him I'm not going."
Everybody wanted to protest but Arthur kept his head straight and insisted Olin would come too. James nodded. "Okay, Olin can come too. But it is your task to watch over him."
Arthur smirked. "No worried my Lord. Leave it to me."

The rest of the evening they were all talking together and Arthur got his younger brother and introduced him. They decided to leave in the middle of the night because it would be a long way to the Land of the Knights.
Around 2 am everybody got up and Lady Beth took the boys to the Carriage. Arthur and Olin hugged Beth. "Now take care my boys. I have faith in the both of you. I wish I could join you to the Land of the Knights but I'm afraid I'm too old for long travels."
Olin hugged Beth and Arthur whispered: "Beth please don't die before we return. I don't want this day to be the last day I would see you ever again. Please Beth." He hugged her tightly. Beth her eyes filled with tears. She waved when the Carriage slowly drove away.
It was a 7 days trip and there wasn't much to do for the boys then sleep, talk a bit and sleep even more. But slowly the boys learned the horrible truth behind their parents death. The truth was even more hard to bear than the thought of their uncle being an evil monster. Arthur felt determined to become a knight. No matter how hard it was going to be.
----------------------
At the seventh day they reached a beautiful green land covered with lots of woods, green grass and high hills. The country side looked as it walked out of a fairty tale book. The Carriage entered a large Camp where all kind of tents were standing. james helped everybody out of the Carriage and the boys were taken to a dark blue tent with white stripes. There was a sign hanging on top of the tent. It showed the head of a dragon. It was made of gold and the eyes were fiercy red. A black haired man around the age of 52 was sitting in a chair. His eyes were blue and he was around 6 feet tall. He was around 220 lbs and his armor was red with the same Dragon sign at the chest. His arms were covered by some kind of mithril and his pants were black and he was wearing black boots covered with silver metal. In his left hand he was holding a shield again with the Dragon sign on it and in his right hand he was holding a sword. It was a long sharp sword made of the purest metal one could find. The top of the shield was covered with black and gold.
"Lord Westley, how great to see you again my old friend! I brought two boys with me who must learn how to become a knight and with your help they will do fine."
The man looked up and laughed loud. "James my old friend!!! It is so good to see you! Haha! I never expected you to return so soon my friend! Well take a seat and be my guest."

Angus: "Arthur, maybe you and your brother could take a look around and see what is going on here so you get an impression."
Arthur and Olin walked around. Soon they saw a young boy practising with his sword against a female. He was wearing a dark blue tunic with dark blue pants. He was tall and his hair was dark and his eyes were dark brown. Arthur guessed him around the age of 22. The boy looked up when he noticed Arthur was looking at him.

" Hey! I never saw you before. I bet you are new here? Welcome, my name is Zordo. You saw me practising with a sword but actually I'm not that good with it. I rather use a bow and arrows."
Arthur shook his hand. "I'm Arthur and this is my brother Olin. We were taken here to become a Knight. It looks large over here. "
Zordo nodded his head. " It is very huge Arthur. Everybody comes here to learn how to become a Knight or at least learn how to defend themselves. And believe me we have a lot of reasons to defend ourselves lately. Strange things are happening Arthur. My friend Helix can confirm that. She has travelled to the borders of the most feared country and only she returned to tell the tale."
Arthur looked interested. Zordo excused himself because he had another training coming up. " Just look around Arthur. I know we have plenty of people here who are willing to help you find your way here. Talk to them. I will be back later and maybe we can catch up tonight."

When Arthur looked around he saw his brother Olin talking to a female. She was around the age of 19 and she who looked a bit pale. Her jet black hair reached her shoulders and covered her right eye. Her eyes were hazel and she was wearing a green shirt and blue pant. Around her neck she was wearing a small Dragon pendant. Arthur walked up to her. "Are you Helix?"
The girl nodded.
"And I assume you must be Arthur? Your brother told me about you. It looks like you came here at the right time. There is so much going on and there might be a big war coming upon us soon."
Arthur frowned his eyebrows. "In what way? I mean from what country? All countries?"
Helix looked around. "It seems to be uncertain but it looks like it comes from the enemy in the north. If they can cross Dragirh. Nobody ever crossed Dragirh. "
"Dragihr? Arthur asked. Is this anotehr enemy country?"
Helix shook her head. "Nobody knows Arthur but there are stories going around the Land of Dragirh is ruled by a mighty dragon. Bigger than any creature ever seen. Though nobody who met this beast every telled the tale there must be something. Even though I never met this beast I did find something a short while back. Maybe you should come with me. I will show you what I found. It gives you an impression how big this beast must be."

Last edited:

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Ah, well done, you continued it. :P I told you I would read it. So the boys went to become knights, and now war is coming to them from the north. Gee, and then you speak of Dragirh, and no one has a clue if that is a country or a monster, apparently they believe the land is ruled by a huge dragon. Nice, and you also introduced Zordo and Helix. Go on with this project, Vee, it looks rather good. ~Ao

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom