• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Are You Expecting Any More Wii U Ports in 2019 Besides NSMBU Deluxe?

Nintendo heavily relied on Wii U ports to pad out 2018.

With quite a few exclusive Switch games already confirmed for next year, it seems less likely we'll get a slew of Wii U ports. The only one confirmed so far is New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe in January.

I think we'll see one or two more Wii U ports besides Mario next year. If I had to take a guess, Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 seem like prime contenders while people wait for Pikmin 4 and Bayonetta 3. Xenoblade Chronicles X will probably come eventually, but I think 2020 at earliest, so sales of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and its expansion won't be impacted heavily.

So how many Wii U to Switch ports are you expecting next year, if at all?

I'm expecting Wii U ports every year of the Switch's life cycle or until they run the Wii U library dry.

I honestly think about 90+% of the Wii U's exclusive library will find its way to Switch eventually.

If we're going to just talk about 2019 though...

Hard to say because 2019 is already way more loaded than 2018 was so they'd have no need to fill too many gaps (hopefully) with ports.

However i think ports can help to advertise upcoming games. I think Nintendo are in a very unique position in this respect.

For example, we have Fire Emblem Three Houses coming in 2019, we also have Shin Megami V coming in the future and Joker coming to Smash. Persona and Shin Megami are linked but so too, interestingly, is Fire Emblem.

The Wii U had Tokyo Mirage Sessions, a bizarre JRPG that nobody played that was an odd crossover of Fire Emblem and Shin Megami.

With both FE and SMTV coming in the future a port of Tokyo Mirage Sessions could go a long way as a bridge between both games if it were to release after Three Houses but before Shin Megami V.

Likewise if Pikmin 4 is announced then they could port Pikmin 3 before 4 releases.

If a new Zelda is announced then ports of WW and TPHD could be released before.

Wonderful 101 may drop before Bayonetta 3.

Ports of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pikmin 3, WWHD and TPHD I think will happen sooner rather than later but I cant say for sure if they'll be in 2019.

Even though I'm probably wrong about the ports I expect, I am pretty confident that we will be getting at least a small handful of Wii U ports.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom