• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are we seeing the Switch successor come out this year?

Is it coming out this year?

• yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • no

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Let's get a quick feel here, do you think we'll see new hardware this year? Not just announced then come out next year, but are we actually seeing it this year? And an actual successor, not a new Switch iteration or anything?

It's all speculation but where do you land?

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Champion
I don't think so. I think that Nintendo will try to milk more money on the switch for another year.

Guinea

Basically Tingle
I think they'll announce it but not show off anything yet. But I do think it'll release next year.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I’m on the fence.

On one hand, things have been dying down for the Switch already. Even in this past year of Directs, the biggest announcement was Mario Wonder, a game that then released later that year. All that we know about in terms of first party Switch releases going into 2024 are a couple of remakes and a Princess Peach game that really doesn’t seem like that major of a title. Even back in the summer direct it felt like they were really stretching to fill time.

On the other hand, the reason for this could just be because of how heavy last year was. The amount of franchises Nintendo has whose development teams have had enough time since their last release to pump out a new product seems to be pretty low. It’s possible that the reason we haven’t seen anything about 2024 is simply because they haven’t been able to keep up.

If that’s the case then they likely don’t have anything to release for a new console. Nintendo has hopefully learned their lesson about not supporting their console with a proper lineup of launch titles (See 3DS), I doubt they’d release a new one without something big. Prime 4 could potentially be a dual release, but unlike TP and BotW there wouldn’t be much of a reason to buy a new console for it since most people interested in it to begin with would already own a Switch. Even disregarding that, Metroid doesn’t sell nearly well enough to have it as your big launch title, same could be said for Xenoblade. Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem, and Pikmin just had major releases last year (with the first 2 also happening to have been released after the longest gaps between entries in their respective series with Pikmin not far off). Mario Kart just finished a massive DLC pack last year. Splatoon 3 hasn’t even finished its DLC yet. Luigi’s Mansion is already getting a new remaster this year. Smash doesn’t seem likely at all considering how busy Sakurai has been keeping himself lately. Pokemon is just on its own clock entirely. The only other series that I can think of that hasn’t had a new entry in a reasonable time frame and could actually be a system seller is Animal Crossing.

Yes, I think the Switch successor will launch this year with the next 3D Mario being the headliner. I think that game alone will be enough to carry the launch until Mario Kart arrives in time for the second holiday season. The Booster Course Pass wasn't that big of an effort. I think Mario Kart has been in development for several years.

The Switch will see more ports and remakes. I definitely expect Metroid Prime 2 and 3 to be remastered. This is also our last chance for The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to come to Switch. Same with Xenoblade Chronicles X.

If we get any more brand new Switch games after Princess Peach Showtime, I can see a new Kirby as Kirby often releases at the tail end of a system's lifespan.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Yes, I think the Switch successor will launch this year with the next 3D Mario being the headliner.
Do you really think that they’ll be able to make a brand new 3D Mario in less than a year? I guess that they could have had a separate team working on it from Wonder but from what I’ve heard most of the 3D team was working on Wonder too.

Do you really think that they’ll be able to make a brand new 3D Mario in less than a year? I guess that they could have had a separate team working on it from Wonder but from what I’ve heard most of the 3D team was working on Wonder too.

That's a good point, and it entirely depends on how much overlap there was with the two teams although I've heard that Wonder was done for some time and Nintendo was sitting on it.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
The real question is, how much of an upgrade it will be from Switch to xxxxx. I wouldn't be surprised if it was at the level of a ps4. And I think it would be this year

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The real question is, how much of an upgrade it will be from Switch to xxxxx. I wouldn't be surprised if it was at the level of a ps4. And I think it would be this year
That feels like the bare minimum if the system wants to stay relevant with decent ports. Admittedly, I also don't think it should just aim to be another Switch. That seems like a path to Wii U status.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
That feels like the bare minimum if the system wants to stay relevant with decent ports. Admittedly, I also don't think it should just aim to be another Switch. That seems like a path to Wii U status.
Right. I wouldn't mind it being not portable. Unless we get a more powerful console than it would've been if it was portable.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Right. I wouldn't mind it being not portable. Unless we get a more powerful console than it would've been if it was portable.
Both is possible. The Steam Deck is already beyond a portable PS4 or Xbox One and it's within the Switch's price range. That's kind of the minimum I'd expect if they're just going to do a new model.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
So I'm taking that Pokemon Z announcement as a sign that the Switch U is heading for some sort of release next year maybe. I'm basing this mostly on how bad all the open world games on the Switch have looked even though the system can run Breath of the Wild, so they're probably waiting to show it off until they can push out some next gen gameplay.

Well, it's increasingly looking likely that I'm taking an L for my initial 2024 prediction.

I didn't think that Nintendo would ride out an entire year off of remakes and Princess Peach Showtime, but it's looking to increasingly be the case.

I'm thinking a March 2025 release for Switch's successor nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom