• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are The Zonai a Beneficial Addition to the Series?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Site Staff
I do concede it seems the gods got together with a Prot-Hylian race or Hylians before they became Hylians as we know them, though I recall the pointed ears of the Hylians csme from the Zonai in another cut scene.
Sonia already had pointed ears, which indicates this isn't something Hylians got from the Zonai. It's indicated that Sonia and Rauru were the first Zonai/Hylian couple.

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo
ZD Champion
Sonia already had pointed ears, which indicates this isn't something Hylians got from the Zonai. It's indicated that Sonia and Rauru were the first Zonai/Hylian couple.
Hmm.. so then The Golden Godesses Mythos remains intact? That Din, Nayru, and Farore made the races of the world?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Site Staff
Hmm.. so then The Golden Godesses Mythos remains intact? That Din, Nayru, and Farore made the races of the world?
Yeah, TotK doesn't conflict with the golden goddesses creating Hyrule and its races. If we look at everything we know about the Zonai, they did revere the golden goddesses because the boar, owl, and dragon are found in Zonai iconography, and are animals representing power, wisdom, and courage respectively.

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo
ZD Champion
Yeah, TotK doesn't conflict with the golden goddesses creating Hyrule and its races. If we look at everything we know about the Zonai, they did revere the golden goddesses because the boar, owl, and dragon are found in Zonai iconography, and are animals representing power, wisdom, and courage respectively.
Oh that is a relief. I need to get a Switch and play Totk.

In addition to this introduction of the Zonai, I've found it interesting that the latest games are focusing so much more on the singular goddess (or demi-goddess?) Hylia, rather than any mention of Nayru, Farore, and Din. They've also really pumped the breaks on anything Triforce-related. Other than the royal family crest itself, there's only really one very brief allusion to the Triforce in Breath of the Wild that I can think of. Maybe they felt they were using the Triforce as a McGuffin too often.

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo
ZD Champion
In addition to this introduction of the Zonai, I've found it interesting that the latest games are focusing so much more on the singular goddess (or demi-goddess?) Hylia, rather than any mention of Nayru, Farore, and Din. They've also really pumped the breaks on anything Triforce-related. Other than the royal family crest itself, there's only really one very brief allusion to the Triforce in Breath of the Wild that I can think of. Maybe they felt they were using the Triforce as a McGuffin too often.
I am a little alarmed at the omission of the Gold Goddesses and the Triforce going back burner. I get telling some new stories with some new gods, but.. the three goddesses are iconic and ahead of their time. I hope Din, Nayru, and Farore are not forgotten.. I will not forget them.

What do you all think? Do the Zonai add to the lore, or do they just confuse things more than it needs to be?

The Zonai probably wont be mentioned again. The only confusing thing (to me anyways) about TotK is the past: Its not clear if the past is before Skyward Sword or a re-founding of Hyrule and the community seems divided on this.

The other Zelda thing Im still wrapping my head around would be"The Downfall Timeline", not sure how that works or how its even possible as it seems mutually exclusive from the Child & Adult timelines.

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo
ZD Champion
The Zonai probably wont be mentioned again. The only confusing thing (to me anyways) about TotK is the past: Its not clear if the past is before Skyward Sword or a re-founding of Hyrule and the community seems divided on this.

The other Zelda thing Im still wrapping my head around would be"The Downfall Timeline", not sure how that works or how its even possible as it seems mutually exclusive from the Child & Adult timelines.
Time traveling storylines tend to do this, it becomes a mess..

I imagine they will go the the Silmarillion route: The Golden Goddesses are like Eru Illuvatar (great god) who created through lesser gods The Valar/Vala who in this case would be The Zonai.

I don’t like that retconning, even though I love the Sil, I preferred it being The Three Goddesses.
You do make it rather confusing... but the Tolkein reference is nice. Makes it clearer. This should be made clear in OoSecrets.

Wonder if the Zonai would ever appear in different timelines?

I still get confused on BotW's placement. It supposedly takes place after all the other games, but that would mean it takes place when all timeline have merged together or it just takes place in all the timelines, so there's multiple Raurus and whatnot.

Would be nice to see them again.

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo
ZD Champion

I still get confused on BotW's placement. It supposedly takes place after all the other games, but that would mean it takes place when all timeline have merged together or it just takes place in all the timelines, so there's multiple Raurus and whatnot.

Supposably Botw is 1000yrs after Ocarina of Time. That is a long time later and explains why the Golden Goddesses and The Triforce is forgotten save in some crests.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Site Staff

It doesn't take place after all the other games, it goes at the end of one of the timeline splits. It's sort of like a choose your own adventure type thing. It's in the fans' hands to pick what timeline they think it best fits at the end of and explain why they think it fits where they picked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom