• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Are People Simply Sticking Around Due to Nostalgia?

Salem

SICK
I'm not sticking around due to nostalgia, I liked the modern Zelda games, I don't like them as much as the old ones, but I enjoyed them enough to not make me lose hope in the series. :)

Also, I'm exited for the changes to make ALBW and the new Wii U Zelda game non-linear, we haven't seen non-linearity in a while, I wonder what they could make. I can't wait. :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
With all of this horrible news I keep hearing about Zelda U and aLBW...kinda. I'm really losing hope and it they weren't Zelda titles I wouldn't even invest myself into it at all.

This right here just confounds me, and is why I am hanging onto the series by a thread. From my perspective, the TWW switch (which really started with MM but that game was soooo gucci that I...) is the horrible news. This whole Aonuma-saves-the-series stunt is actually good news as far as I'm concerned; although it's a retread of the classic formula, it's just the soul of Zelda that was (temporarily, thank God) dispelled. To see people admiring something that just isn't Zelda, something that I do not find any appeal in, is just whack. ;p

I respect opinions and all that jazz, but modern Zelda (not counting ALBW ;)) is not the stuff for me.

Salem

SICK
Honestly Ventus, neither linearity nor non-linearity are "stables" of the series, the Zelda franchise has flip-flopped from these two concepts since at least Zelda 2. The last non-linear entry was PH, so yeah, this series is both linear and non-linear. ;)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
If this were a stable series like Mario, I wouldn't be worried...but Zelda is far from stable. With so many turns, 180s, 360s, etc., the games are only connected by some weak threads as it is. The fact that Aonuma feels that he's just now changing the series is shocking beyond belief. And if that's how extreme he's feeling about this, then at best I can see this being the Super Paper Mario of the series...at worst...the Sticker Star of the series.

Some people feel that developers should take risks, but Zelda's just not in a good situation for that. It's hurt itself far too much over the years because of risk taking. They would have been better off trying out a new series which would have no standards instead of risking Zelda's already low reputation.

SlimZim

Helena is my baby.
I haven't been a Zelda fan for more than 5 years, so definitely not. I stick around because I genuinely love most of the Zelda games I've played, and I'm always excited to see what's next. I look forward to each new adventure and story. I look forward to the new landscapes and puzzles and dungeons and enemies and characters in each game. The series really captivates me. It's a lot of fun for me to play. That's why I stick around.

I sorta agree here haha. Got into Zelda 7 years ago when I was 8 with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I do love most of the games, but I do have a bit of longing for the days where I could come home from school, pop the disc in and play for three hours. With school and sports, I barely have time for 30 minutes in a day :/.
So yeah, I'm not picky about my Zelda games. I've tried (wouldn't say beated all of them completely) all the 3D wins and tried some of the 2D ones -- including Minish Cap, ALttP, and Zelda I and II. WW is my favorite, probably because I started with it, but the rest are really close behind, even SS which was a hit or miss for most people. I am MORE than excited for when I get WW HD though haha.

Last edited:
To be honest, I have never played a Zelda game that wasn't engaging and fun. Do I trust to the series' reputation that any new titles will be fantastic? Sure. Why shouldn't I? It's basically the same team with basically the same leadership, so what is there to make me nervous that a new title would be worse? I am very easy to please with Zelda games and the only time I was legitimately upset was with the graphics of WW. Despite them, I eventually (A LOOOOOOONG time later) played the game and found it fun. I still kind of hate the graphics but I can move past them.

Every new Zelda game I've played, whether it be a classic I'd never played before or a newer release, I always enjoy myself and play the game a lot. So, in answer to your question, no, I do not feel like I am only here due to nostalgia, or even really majorly here because of it. Yes, I like and replay some of the older games a ton, but that doesn't take away from the new games, it just continues to say how awesome those games were.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I can say for the most part, I am, BUT my opinion is heavily influenced by SS which would've sent me packing had I not remembered the joy I got from every game before it. So I am technically sticking around due the older games, it just so happens to be that its every single game I've played that's not the newest one, SS. (I think that counts as a "no")

I do hope for the day that I can truly get that "Zelda high" like I used to, but I wonder if it shall return.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Yes, but no. I do play older games and love them because of nostalgia and how great they are, but I don't stay because of nostalgia. I play the newer games because I haven't lost hope in the series. I do like the newer installments and it excites me to see what new things and old things they put in the new releases. I play it because I like Zelda in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom