• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are Ghirahim and Dark Link Somehow Related?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So am going to start to make a lot more threads and posts in the theories section as I feel I am not contributing to it as much as I should....

So anyway back to my theory :) I was thinking about this idea the other day, on how Ghirahim and Dark Link are somehow related!

First of all I am just going to say that this theory does have its flaws so bear with it haha! So....In Skyward Sword we realised that Ghirahim (SPOILER) turned out to be a sword :/. This sword was Demise's sword and many people believe that this is dark version of the master sword http://zeldawiki.org/images/thumb/d/d8/Antimastersword.png/150px-Antimastersword.png As you can see from the picture it does bear many resemblance's to the master sword and the most striking feature is that the Triforce symbol is actually pointing in the opposite direction to that of the Master Sword. So the reason I brought this up is that in OoT in the water temple we fight Dark Link!

Now this battle was pretty epic and it will give many fans memories of AoL and the battle with dark link in that game....In this battle are main prime source of attack is the use of the master sword, now if Link is using the mastersword and if dark link is meant to be the mirror image or the opposite of Link the could this mean that the sword he posses is infact the dark version of the master sword! Now I do realise this is mainly based on speculation but I also seen a similarity between where you fight dark link in OoT and Demise in Skyward Sword, both resemble shallow waters as if its some sort of a reflection.....This similarity seems to close to be just a coincidence.

I also have one more reason why I think Ghirahim and dark link are related....In AoL we know that in the previous game Link defeated Ganon with the use of the Silver arrow and in AoL Ganons surviving minions attempt to resurrect him. Now at the end of AoL we fight Dark Link so we can pretty much assume that due to him being the final boss and all that he lead the minons in order to resurrect Ganon or his 'master'. Now where else did we see in were a Villain was attempting to resurrect his master and was the leader of an army of minions? Yes thats right....Skyward Sword! Ghirahim is attempting to resurrect his master with the essence of Zelda! So maybe when we saw Demise's sword disappear at the end of Skyward Sword, this was a mere indication that Ghirahim escaped and set out to onec again serve his master!

So yeah thats pretty much my theory, feel free to comment on it or add to it as I know it's pretty much based on speculation but aren't most theories in Zelda? :)

Deeds

no text
Nice idea, I've thought the same a couple times actually. The locations where you fight both Dark Link in OoT and Demise in SS do bare similarities, that is true. This could be purposefully, or it could just be an atmospheric environment that the developers like, who knows. I think that Ghirahim and DL are simply similar characters, brought together through desire, by the developers. Similar in the reasons that you have stated, and that they're both anti-Link (as bad as that sounds).

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Now at the end of AoL we fight Dark Link so we can pretty much assume that due to him being the final boss and all that he lead the minons in order to resurrect Ganon or his 'master'.

I'm pretty sure Dark Link in The Adventure of Link is summoned by an old man in order to test if Link is worthy of the Triforce of Courage and not actually related to Ganon's minions. Someone who remembers the game better should check me on that but I'm fairly sure that's the case, which would mean that particular similarity between Dark Link and Ghiarhim falls apart.

However, one thing that this has got me thinking about is how Dark Link in Ocarina of Time still attacks with an anti-Master Sword even when Link himself wields the Biggoron Sword. This would suggest that Dark Link (at least, that particular incarnation of Dark Link) is not a true mirror, or shadow, of Link and suggests that, to some extent, it is its own entity.

This is definitely an interesting theory and although there is little evidence to prove or conversely disprove this theory, it's the same case as those who argue the Spirit Temple and Arbiter's Grounds are related.

There isn't a clear answer for what Dark Link is. I contend Dark Link isn't a physical presence but rather a persona from Link's nightmares. We've certainly seen surrealism and unbelievable plot twists before in Zelda. Link's Awakening is a dream, for example. Dark Link is probably a creature from the Dark Realm much like Phantom Ganon or perhaps the "gap between dimension" whatever that is.

Since Fi is the essence of the Master Sword aiding Link on his journeys, I'm more inclined to say Ghirahim inhabits Ganondor's blade to provide another antithesis although there isn't any compelling evidence for this notion either.

Ghirahim is most likely a "one and done" character.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I'm pretty sure Dark Link in The Adventure of Link is summoned by an old man in order to test if Link is worthy of the Triforce of Courage and not actually related to Ganon's minions. Someone who remembers the game better should check me on that but I'm fairly sure that's the case, which would mean that particular similarity between Dark Link and Ghiarhim falls apart.

This is correct. The Valley of Death and Great Palace were constructed as proving grounds by the Hylians themselves to make sure the Trifoce of Courage could only be claimed by the right person.

Cfrock definitely raises an interesting point about the roles and potential alliances of various Dark Link incarnations. That said, I don't believe the Dark Link present in the Adventure of Link was created by the Hylians even if the Great Palace itself serves as a rigorous crucible, a test of worthiness. The Hylians are a genial people and for them to create such a being seems unreasonable and out of their character. It's possible the area was infiltrated by Ganondorf's minions much as Ghirahim's subordinates invaded Sky Keep in Skyward Sword.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
The sequence at the end of AoL is fairly conclusive in my eyes. Link enters the chamber. The guardian of the Triforce casts a spell. Link's shadow splits away. After defeating the shadow, link is given the trifoce by the guardian. Seems like a test to me.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
That said, I don't believe the Dark Link present in the Adventure of Link was created by the Hylians even if the Great Palace itself serves as a rigorous crucible, a test of worthiness. The Hylians are a genial people and for them to create such a being seems unreasonable and out of their character.

I don't know, the Hylians have done some pretty messed up things in the past. We have a long history of various wars, the Shadow Temple's allusion to Hyrule's "bloody history" and accompanying torture devices as well buildings like the Arbiter's Grounds which is just... an act of cruelty towards the Gerudo. Dark Link in The Adventure of Link
isn't strictly evil, he's just a test. 'You came this far, now can you best yourself?' I think he's technically called 'Link's Shadow' in The Adventure of Link. I wouldn't put somethign like that past the Hylians. They've done much worse.

iDarkLink

Sage of the Dark World
I always believed that Ghirahim was Dark Link myself. Sense in the first fight with him, he seems to know all of your moves at first, which he follows your sword around with his hand. Much like Dark Link, who knows your moves as well.
I never noticed that Demise's sword (AKA Ghirahim) looked so much like the Master Sword. Nice catch there.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Ghirahim<DLINK

Dark Link is simply a character who appears for two short battles that I know of. Ghirahim is a demon who was destroyed before either. He also never showed any real connection to Link. He is like Volvagia. They appear in the same two games. They are little more than enemies serving a purpose currently. Nintendo would have to make some serious adjustments to connect the two. I don't like the idea of them doing that. Dark Link has no personality or emotion while Ghirahim bursts with it. He should get an entirely different origin or simply be left as an enemy.

He is like Volvagia. They appear in the same two games. They are little more than enemies serving a purpose currently. .

Wrong. Volvagia is [was] the guardian of the Death Mountain region - like the Great Deku Tree over the forest and Jabu Jabu over the Zora Domain - before whatever happened that turned it evil. The reasons as to why or how it became this way is currently unknown.

On topic: I do not believe that Ghirahim and Dark Link are connected in any [canonical] way. If anything, however, I might consider some of Ghirahim's battle phases an homage to Dark Link, as the former appears to boast the ability to exploit all of Link's actions in a similar manner to the latter.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Dark Link is simply a character who appears for two short battles that I know of. Ghirahim is a demon who was destroyed before either. He also never showed any real connection to Link. He is like Volvagia. They appear in the same two games. They are little more than enemies serving a purpose currently. Nintendo would have to make some serious adjustments to connect the two. I don't like the idea of them doing that. Dark Link has no personality or emotion while Ghirahim bursts with it. He should get an entirely different origin or simply be left as an enemy.

We all know Zelda doesn't make concrete connections between Zelda games...That's we always come up with new theories :) Plus you have to remember that Dark Link was in the earlier Zelda games, Ghirahim was in the most recent installment therefore their character development will be very different.

Also I did provide some evidence for the connection between the two, its never going to be concrete evidence but I think their are some links between these 2 characters!

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Dark Link

We can't deny the similarities, but we to look at the fundamentals. The two have nothing in common except evil and a somewhat similar battle system. However, you can't deny that any actual connection is nonexistant. I know you think I hate anything that isn't explicitly stated, but in truth I see no more connection than Scaldera and King Dodongo. They share similar battles and an elemtal theme, but lack any noticable connection.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Wrong. Volvagia is [was] the guardian of the Death Mountain region - like the Great Deku Tree over the forest and Jabu Jabu over the Zora Domain - before whatever happened that turned it evil. The reasons as to why or how it became this way is currently unknown.

Source?

The two have nothing in common except evil .
And perhaps not even that

I see no connection between Dark Link and Ghirahim, and the fact that Dark Link hasn't appeared since OoT (FSA doesn't count, much different circumstances) should tell that Nintendo is done with the character

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom