• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Aphantasia

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
So there is this really weird condition that some people apparently have called Aphantasia where people are unable to view images in their mind... I apparently have this condition.

This video helped me discover that I had this "condition" and it does a great job of explaining what this condition is:

I have been talking to some friends about this and it has been blowing my mind. I didn't know people could create images in their mind. I always thought it was weird when people told me to "picture this". I never thought people could voluntarily create images in their head. I can't think of how colors look. All I can think of in my head is the memories I have of images but not the images of these thing in my mind. I can't create any new images in my head because I can only think of these things by themselves and not create a picture of them in my head. My mind focuses more of the concept of things and doesn't really focus on how they appear.

After a discussion with some friends, this "condition" also applies to my other senses apparently. I can't recreate sounds in my head. All the sounds I can hear in my head are anything within the range of my own voice. My internal monologue is the only thing I can hear inside my head. If I get a song in my head it's my own voice performing the lyrics or a sound of an instrumental piece that only my own voice can reproduce. I can't think about the feelings of certain objects, like a smooth rock, a fuzzy carpet, or coarse sand running through my hand. I am unable to replicate how something feels in my head. It blows my mind that some people are even able to do this. I also can't imagine how something smells. Again, I have the memory of some smells, but, like every other sense, I can't replicate the sense of smell in my mind.

This thread is mostly just for a discussion of aphantasia. Do you have it? Do you think it's weird that some people can imagine some, if not all, of these things? Do you think it's odd that some other people can't? Does you aphantasia surpass the realm of sight or are you like me and you can't believe that there are people in this world that can actually imagine emotions?

What a totally hipster sounding condition.

It must be boring as hell being in your head.

This doesnt sound like a real thing. You're saying if I tell you to imagine an apple you'll see nothing in your head? The image of an apple won't cross your mind?

Then how do you know what an apple is? I guess you're pulling it from memory but if you cant see what an apple looks or tastes like then how would you be able to tell me what an apple is?

Honestly if i asked you what an apple was what would you even say?

And you said you cant imagine emotions either? So you cant remember what its like to be sad? You'll have been sad before but if i ask you to imagine being sad you'll just look at me blankly?

I have Aphantasia too... about Aphantasia because it literally sounds like a lot of nothing and I cant imagine that.

P.S
The inability to recall or imagine emotions thing is incredibly close to sociopathic bahaviour, which is worrying.

Last edited:

Ninja

Well well well
This thread is mostly just for a discussion of aphantasia. Do you have it? Do you think it's weird that some people can imagine some, if not all, of these things? Do you think it's odd that some other people can't? Does you aphantasia surpass the realm of sight or are you like me and you can't believe that there are people in this world that can actually imagine emotions?

Don't have it. I've always been able to visualize and remember things distinctly.

It's incredibly odd for me to imagine that anyone couldn't be able to, especially emotions, that's pretty ominous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom