• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Anyone Know of Free Computer Recording Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I've been looking for software to record my computer screen but so far the three I tried didn't work out.

Hyper Cam 2 wouldn't let me record the noise from the computer screen

Fraps was perfect....until I found out you needed to pay to use the actual version.

Cam Studio had that seizure inducing region screen and, again, wouldn't let me record sound from my computer.

sailormars109

Finding Love by the Moon
How is this General Gaming? Umm, I think this should go under Technology or something like that. Just thought I would point that out.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
How is this General Gaming? Umm, I think this should go under Technology or something like that. Just thought I would point that out.

Because he obviously wants the software to record games.

I can't recommend anything other than Fraps. I do have it and can say that it is well worth the investment. I'm not going to suggest torrenting it (because forum rules), but if you're desperate...

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well everything's under control. I finally managed to find the stuff....albeit I'm stuck using Window's Movie Maker....at least it's free...^_^;

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Whatcha recording? The stuff I recommend are Fraps and Sony Vegas. Fraps isn't all that costly and it's far better than the majority of screencap software that supposedly is so great for a ~$50 value. Anything less than Vegas is...well, inferior, and you shouldn't need more than Vegas.

Addendum: I have to say that Camstudio is one of the worst if not THE worst recording software out there. I personally used it many a time way back in the day (like...5+ years ago, for FE8), and guess what happened? It borked my sound card. I eventually broke that PC because I simply couldn't take not being able to hear sound. Just. Don't. Use. Camstudio.

Hypercam is also a bad choice; that nasty watermark as well as the horrible quality doesn't make for good videos.

Last edited:

Congrats on your promotion.

If you're into piracy, then I'd head on over to Piratebay and grab Camtasia Studio. $600 if you don't pirate it, and I think the people who do buy it more than make up for those of us who don't.

If not, Camstudio is a heavily stripped down version of Camtasia, and is really not user friendly. You really have to mess with the default settings to get even decent results.

I'd also recommend pirating FRAPs, especially if you're going to be recording games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom