• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Anyone else feel the percentage calculation is skewed?

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
So, I've completed the main quest, I have just 6 side-quests left, all shrines have been found and completed, I have all the gear possible to get outside of amiibo (I'm certain I am at least). And... my percentage currently stands at 36.06 % Yes, I have only found roughly 160 Korok seeds and I know there are 900 in total, but come on, how are they counting so much towards completion?

Zachie

Moo
Taken from IGN:

• Dungeon Clear (Boss Defeated) = .08% x 4 = .32%
  • Korok Seeds = .08% x 900 = 72%
  • Shrine Discovery = .08% x 120 = 9.60%
  • Location Discovery = .08% x 226(?) = 18.08%

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Figured out the 0.08 %, but it's completely insane that there is no weighting to the way the percentage is calculated. A dungeon counting as much as a Korok seed or a new map location is riddiculous.

I get why it's done this way. It considers everything to be just one more find. A huge collectathon. However the worth of each find is not equal and is not represented in the final % total.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Yeeeaaahhh....dunno why they made Korok seeds 100% when even the developers thought it was too boring to get 900. I started doing it and got 50 in one day....and had to stop there. I was so bored and the Korok hunting was starting to to make me hate the game.

Its weird that its just based on map progression for 100% when armour upgrades and sidequests dont count....

Im fine with it just being a map thing though. Ive upgraded most things, have a full compendium and done most of the sidequests. Gives me something to work towards until the next game happens.

I don't think it's even a completion percentage. It shows on the map, so it's probably a "here's how much of the map you have uncovered" since all the things that count toward the percentage are things that show on the map. They're all locations and map items and stuff, so that's probably why. Since they show other calculations on the quest screen and stuff, it seems to be entirely separate. They really should have a proper calculation somewhere, as well as a game over count, but unlikely.

MW7

Yes I agree that it is kind of dumb. The percentage does not correlate very well to how much you would feel you have completed. The idea that one dungeon = one shrine = one Korok seed = one location doesn't seem right to me. I see that they just kept it simple and didn't apply weight to any factor, but I think it would make more sense to have applied some weighting system.

If I was designing a system of my own, I'd have it be something like this:
Dungeons = 15% (3% each including final dungeon)
Shrines = 60% (0.5% each)
Korok Seeds = 15% (0.0166% each)
Location Discovery = 4% (about 0.017699 each)
Memories = 6% (0.33% each)

Zachie

Moo
Dungeons = 15% (3% each including final dungeon)
Shrines = 60% (0.5% each)
Korok Seeds = 15% (0.0166% each)
Location Discovery = 4% (about 0.017699 each)
Memories = 6% (0.33% each)
This is awful. There's almost 9x as many Korok Seeds as their are shrines, so they should definitely weigh more than shrines.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
This is awful. There's almost 9x as many Korok Seeds as their are shrines, so they should definitely weigh more than shrines.

Less than 8x and Shrines are more complex than Korok seeds. Also there's twice as many Korok seeds than there's game-related use for them, which makes them essentially worthless for anything beyond a 100% score. They should count 20% at the most. Shrines should count for at least 50% (we could say 10% towards discovery 30% towards completion and 10% towards finding the bonus chest(s) inside each). Armour collection and upgrades should definitely count as well since they don't break (not counting amiibo exclusives) as it takes a lot of work to get those up to full 4 stars, so 5% to get all of them, another 5% for memories, another 5% towards locations, and the remaining 15% towards the dungeons. That would be a fair percentage.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Sorry slightly off here but anyone else notice that discovering a shrine but not activating it leaves it as an orange mark, activating it turns it blue with an orange center and completely blue means complete?

Also i feel like finding all chests in the shrines should count towards the map completion for the fact that it literally shows you on the map if you've found it all.

LinksASleeping

The Adventure Of Me
I am surprised that the compendium doesn't count towards 100% completion.

I think the compendium should count, inventory slots, and all the armor and armor upgrades.

All 900 korok seeds could add a "star" next to the 100% for those who want to collect everything.

MW7

I'm saying that Korok seeds are much less important and time intensive than shrines and dungeons so their value should be weighted less. It's like how if you have 10 quizzes and 2 tests, and the 2 tests count for much more of your grade than the 10 quizzes. I was just throwing numbers out there, but the point is that if I was creating a system to track game completion, you'd have to find several Korok seeds to equal the amount of value of a single shrine. Plus I think the Zelda world is rightfully biased towards dungeons (and shrines are minidungeons). If someone asked me how far I was in Ocarina of Time, I'd say what dungeon I was in and not even think to mention how many gold skulltulas I had found. Likewise in BOTW, I think of progress in terms of divine beasts and shrines much more so than I would think of progress in terms of Korok Seeds.

I'm not saying the in-game counter is wrong or even illogical because it makes sense based on what they wanted to measure. I'm saying that what they are measuring is far from how most people would describe their progress in the game. The percentage is more of a map completion measurement as Satan said. It's just a matter of perspective though. It doesn't matter if you think of Korok Seeds as 72% of the game or as low as 1% of the game; if you want to complete 100% of the game, you have to get everything anyway.

Sorry slightly off here but anyone else notice that discovering a shrine but not activating it leaves it as an orange mark, activating it turns it blue with an orange center and completely blue means complete?
I noticed that earlier in the game when I stumbled on major tests of strength before knowing what I was doing. I thought it was a nice touch to track what you've done. I would get killed and then when I'd eventually feel ready to complete the shrine, I could find it pretty quickly again. I think the shrine itself changes color along with the map marker in a similar pattern as you just described. First it's all orange, then the top turns blue once you activate it, and finally the whole shrine is blue once you complete it. My next playthrough I might just activate the test of strength shrines to open the teleport function and come back later.

Also i feel like finding all chests in the shrines should count towards the map completion for the fact that it literally shows you on the map if you've found it all.
I'm 90% sure that "open" means have opened and have taken the contents of the chest. I have some blessing shrines without the treasure chest icon which would lead me to believe that trying to open the chest doesn't count towards earning the little icon. Only taking the contents of the chest counts. Unless blessing shrines have more than a single chest in which case I've overlooked a lot of treasure. I like your point though. Finding and opening all the chests in shrines is probably the most challenging part of the game. There are a number of shrines that let you reach the monk but still have one last challenge for a chest that's more difficult than the prior puzzles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom