• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Anybody buy ARMS yet? If so, is it any good?

I'm really hoping it's as good as most people are saying it is. I really need a reason to justify me buying my switch besides BOTW.

I played the Testpunches and had fun with a pro controller.

I havent bought it yet but i know there isnt a story mode for the single player, no character epilogues or real reason for anything happening. Its very focussed on the online aspect.

The metagame will drag you down. A lot of people know how to exploit certain set ups and characters. So if youre just gonna play for fun you'll probably have to make friends and creat lobbies with people who just one fun. Because certain players just dont make the game fun as far as the Testpunch went.

The dlc modes and characters will be free Splatoon style but it depends what you want from Arms.

If you want story you wont get it.
If you want casual fun you'll have to work for it.

I played the Testpunches and had fun with a pro controller.

I havent bought it yet but i know there isnt a story mode for the single player, no character epilogues or real reason for anything happening. Its very focussed on the online aspect.

The metagame will drag you down. A lot of people know how to exploit certain set ups and characters. So if youre just gonna play for fun you'll probably have to make friends and creat lobbies with people who just one fun. Because certain players just dont make the game fun as far as the Testpunch went.

The dlc modes and characters will be free Splatoon style but it depends what you want from Arms.

If you want story you wont get it.
If you want casual fun you'll have to work for
Sounds like another 1-2-switch to me. I'll play It with friends a couple of times to show of the "features" of the switch and then it'll just sit in the case. It was probably just used as a tech demo to show developers and they decided to throw it out on the market.

Sounds like another 1-2-switch to me. I'll play It with friends a couple of times to show of the "features" of the switch and then it'll just sit in the case. It was probably just used as a tech demo to show developers and they decided to throw it out on the market.

Yeah, for me without any kind of story (even if characters had Tekken style ending cinematics that'd be something but nope) all the game can rely on is the multiplayer.

I very much think, aside from the hardcore, Arms will be played off and on for short bursts very much like 1-2 Switch.

The gameplay may have some (artificial) depth but the game itself is rather shallow.

• At the moment the single player is just vs the AI, training (which is very well done) and a single player mode (about the equlivelant of Melee and Brawl's classic mode.
  • The core combat in the matches is very well done. It's about 1/3rd skill, 1/3rd strategy and 1/3rd reaction times (speed you hve in reading their move, avoiding it and countering with your own).
  • The game is hard but not impossible. Level 4 difficulty is the middle of the road. You don't have to be korean to beat it but new people to game will be wasted by it. Takes some real skill to beat level 4, but it's achievable. I did it (was tough) and I'm not a fighting game player at all.
  • The Arms getter is not getting new arms at the moment, it's just allowing you to use other characters Arms on your favourite chartacter. That's a big thing but it's not new content though.
  • The three mini games are alright. Basketball is fun and easy to play. Volleyball takes a while to eork out how to win. One you do it's not that hard, it's just not fun. Hit the targets is frustrating at best. Luck based and very hard to win. You can go from in the lead to 500 or more points behind in in the span of 1-2 seconds
  • I've only played it with the motion controls, I will try the pro controller later on. The motion controls are very good. They work well. Just have to remember you need a half second delay between punches or the game thinks it's both at once (ie a grab).

It's as much of a tech demo as Splatoon is. Ie not at all. Both games use the same idea of very light on content at the start and slowly add in more content over time. Both games are a little light on content until the DLC kicks in.

Probably not something that will by played every day but off and on it's a great game. Quite niche though.

Yeah, for me without any kind of story (even if characters had Tekken style ending cinematics that'd be something but nope) all the game can rely on is the multiplayer.
Beat Lv 4 of the Grand Prix and you'll notice the difference.

So there are ending cinematics with character motivation and depth?

Or do they just stand there wearing the belt and get interviewed like in F-Zero GX?
Not to give away anything I will answer both questions with the same answer - No.

The Grand Prix ending is not that great to be honest. I quite like the little bonus you get for winning at Lv4 but the rest is very standard. Nothing to get excited over. Not a part of the game Nintendo put a lot of work into.

@Spirit What was the test punches with pro controller like for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Spirit What was the test punches with pro controller like for you?

Way less stressful.

Ive never been the biggest fan of motion controls but i'll use them if there's a game i really wanna play and theyre my only option but if i can use something else then i will.

So my first Testpunch i used motion controls and didnt lose many matches but i didnt like the set up. Tilting both joycons to strafe didnt feel good and in heated battles strafing and curving your punches didnt feel as intuitive as i'd have liked.

Also i swear blocking was fickle. I was very mindful of it miss-firing but wasnt sure if it was me so i used a few matches to go block heavy and i swear it only worked sometimes.

Pro controller is much better, yeah you cant curve both punches at the same time but i found thats if youre using both arms at the same time which is something i never do because it leads to trouble.

The punch buttons being either the triggers or X&Y was way more comfy and using a stick to strafe was way more comfy too.

The only Thing i dont really like about the Pro is that you have to click the left stick to block (i'm hoping you can change that in the final game) but it still isnt as bad as motion controls.

Pro controller, in my opinion is the best way to play.

Pro controller, in my opinion is the best way to play.
Thanks so much for that. Sounds great. I'll so have to try it out.

I didn't block that much. Sure on Lv6/7 you might have to but on Lv4 (still very though) I just dodged all over the place. Gave my shounders and upper arms quite the working winning that Grand Prix :)

I'll try it today and let you know how I go.

@Spirit

I took your advice and tried ARMS with the pro controller. Here is how it went out for me.
I beat all of the training levels with using shoulder buttons to puch. So I though I'll try my usual testing ground. Vs Byte and Barq on their stage. Using the shoulder buttons I beat Lv2 so I thought, I'll try Lv3. I was soundly beaten.

Then I tried this again on Lv, but this time using A/B for punching. The Lv2 Byte and Barq humiliated me quite fankly. I seriously need more practice with the Pro Controller. As a comparison right after I tried Byte and Barq Lv3 with motion controls. I two little taps of damage, that's it and very soundly won.

It seems motion controls are what I am better at (for the time being) in ARMS. I am glad the many play optinos exist so we can each play how we each want to.
Just a little feedback to you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom