• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Another "Groose"?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Groose is a very well-known character from Skyward Sword. He has very different hair, a tough-guy tude, and some cronies. On another note, his fanbase is very divided.

Now, I'm not talking about Groose acually appearing in another game, but I am talking about someone who looks and acts a LOT like him.

Do you think this will happen? Do you want it to happen?

:bubsy::bubsy::bubsy:

Last edited:
Groose's character trope was recycled from Linebeck was recycled from Midna. It's a very effortless way to give the illusion of character development. Groose just happened to have "cronies" as you call them because Skyward Sword had a generic school type setting on Skyloft so it seemed appropriate for the asshole to have some sidekicks.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
Groose's character trope was recycled from Linebeck was recycled from Midna. It's a very effortless way to give the illusion of character development. Groose just happened to have "cronies" as you call them because Skyward Sword had a generic school type setting on Skyloft so it seemed appropriate for the asshole to have some sidekicks.

You are going to have to make a better argument for why Groose is like Linebeck and Midna.
Midna and Linebeck are fairly bad comparisons for Groose if your main point revolves around there be a lack of, or "fake", character development. One major problem is that you have no evidence to support the "illusion of character development" you claim Groose falls victim to. This is significant because your examples (at least in the case of Midna) show huge character growth throughout their respective story lines. In fact instead of supporting your argument you decided to include characteristics of Groose (as in him being a highschool bully) which in fact plays into his character development later in his story arc when he decides to swallow his pride and help link; ultimately evolving into a heroic character.

If the character trope you are talking about is "the asshole" then sure he is similar to Linebeck and Midna. But "the asshole" is too broad a label to simply say that Groose is a recycle of Linebeck or Midna. Ganon is an Asshole, all the villians are assholes, Linebeck, Midna and Groose are not the same as each other and not the same as any of the Villians. Those two characters [Linebeck, Midna] were mean or unfair to Link, but had a different relationship to him than Groose did. As they needed Link's help to accomplish their goals they took advantage of him, as well as taunt him. [In Midna's case at least, I forget how often Linebeck deliberately tried to mock link]

Groose is more similar to Mido, it's almost exactly the same situation, Link has a childhood lady friend who the neighborhood bully wants to be his girlfriend. Groose and Mido don't want Link's help at all they badmouth him and stand in his way. The only difference is that Groose goes on to gain links trust and grow as a character.

Djinn

and Tonic
We have seen various versions of Tingle, the mailman, Malon, Syrup, Dampe, Impa, Deku Tree, and Biggoron in a few games so I do not see why we might not see Groose again. I doubt he will have anything more than a background spot at best, or just another face in castletown. But I am sure that he will appear at some point again.

The popular/iconic characters have a way of making a couple more appearances, including someone else with a different name basically being the same face in a sequel. Or someone wearing their clothes.

There is the theory about Groose being the origin of the Gerudo, so I could feasibly see another Groose-like character being a male (and therefore leader of the) Gerudo... his personality would be a perfect fit, and his rivalry with Link would be a great way of handling Link's relationship with the Gerudo as a whole... and considering Ganondorf is the only male Gerudo we've ever seen, I think the race could do with that side of their lore being explored a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom