• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Animals Recognizing Names

I know that some domesticated animals, humans included obviously, have learned to recognize a specific set of sounds as the names of themselves or other individuals. But do you think wild animals make a specific set of sounds that pertain to an individual? I mean our ancestors were monkeys and mammalian pets learn there names, so we humans can't be the only critters on Earth who do it right? It had to start somewhere. What do you guys think?

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I'm a bit confused about the question. Do you mean if we think that animals name each other? Or that all creatures can understand names given to them?

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Recent research has shown that dolphins have names that they give each other. Other intelligent animals like parrots might as well

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
This reminds me of a book I read when I was about ten, this girl found this rare stone that could turn her into a cat and she could talk to them and her cat told her his real name was something else and she said well we named you this and he said 'I just thought that was the sound humans made when they're calling me for dinner'

Aku

I've read that animals can understand things if they are in concrete things and terms (like here, now, soon, later, food, water, themselves, others, etc) and not abstract ( ideas, feelings, possibly time, etc.) So they can learn to recognize their name and even learn what words mean and what objects and actions they represent, but anything other then the concrete is likely beyond them.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
I mean our ancestors were monkeys
Umm.. I have no clue where you got that information but that's not true.... that's not how evolution works.

We were naturally selected from a far distant relative of all primates, namely, a now extinct species of great ape. We had no direct connection to monkeys AT ALL. Monkeys split from a different branch of evolution than we did. If we DID evolve from monkeys, we'd most likely have tails- But we evolved from a type of ancient ape. Apes are tale-less, monkeys are not.
It's more like this:
primate-phylogeny.jpg
With each fork being a distant ancestral species.

Saying our ancestors are monkeys is like saying your distant cousin is your great grandmother. (using family terms)
In Nintendo terms, we came from an ancestor of Donkey Kong, we did not come from Diddy Kong.

Anyway, to answer your question about animals and names, I also am not sure what you are asking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom