• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ancient Cistern: Like No Water Temple Before

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
However, I thought that, aside from its boss and miniboss, the Ancient Cistern was the worst-designed dungeon of the game. Plenty of the puzzles were decent, but the ones with the whip, if they can even be called puzzles, were underwhelming. They did very little with the whip that was unique, and instead it acted as a basic item that was only useful because certain switches could only be interacted with using it. There were only a few creative uses of it in the dungeon, and after the dungeon it was almost useless. Worst item of the game, IMO, and the dungeon is hurt because of it.

How would you have used the Whip differently, then? Just a question.

I really enjoyed the Ancient Cistern :)
It was (imo) a clean, fresh location that fitted into the game really well. It also held one of my favourite Zelda bosses so far (I haven't completed SS yet).

I just loved standing by the entrance door by the bird statue and looking out into the temple. The huge Buddha-esque statue mixed with the water and Lillies made me want to jump right in myself!
It also had an excellent soundtrack :)

I didn't think of the Ancient Cistern as water-themed, really. I feel that the water theme was changed to the sand-theme of Sandship. The Sandship is just as much, if not more, difficult than OoT's Water Temple.

I would much rather prefer the Ancient Cistern over the traditional Water Temple, for once it was a water level I actually enjoyed. However I still hated the Water Dragons trial...

More like the traditional water dungeon? No way! The ancient cistern is my favorite dungeon in SS! Even though the water temple from OoT did not irritate me like it did to other people, I agree it wasn't the right way to make a water dungeon. But the ancient cistern is by having a more manageable amount of water, puzzles that center around the dungeon as a whole, and more zombies, which I did not see coming. In my opinion, Zelda finally got it right!

Last edited:
Y

yodagizmo

I see it as more of a spiritual dungeon than anything. But it still is water-based for the most part, being a cistern and I guess that it takes the spot of being the "water" dungeon of the game, compared to anything else. (Same with Skyview Temple) I like how they combined forest and water elements in the Faron province. :)

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
I really loved the Ancient Cistern. It was a breath of fresh air in Zelda games. And as others have said before, I dont really see how it could be labeled a water temple...its just a mix of a whole lot of concepts,with the zombie like moblins and those fire breathing birds (dont know what theyre called )...yeah....I dont see how it would even feel like a water temple. I just loved it!

I really loved the Ancient Cistern. It was a breath of fresh air in Zelda games. And as others have said before, I dont really see how it could be labeled a water temple...its just a mix of a whole lot of concepts,with the zombie like moblins and those fire breathing birds (dont know what theyre called )...yeah....I dont see how it would even feel like a water temple. I just loved it!

Well it's the closest thing to a water temple in SS and is being compared as such probably because themed dungeons have been a staple of the series, it's only natural to compare.

Maffiline

nirorlei
It was ok, I really liked the color scheme in it. But I agree with Axle the Beast on page 1, it was one of the poorest designed dungeons.

I did have trouble with it only on the beginning lock, and the Cursed/Zombie Bokoblins were just annoying ReBokoblins: they jump on you and attempt to kill you. They were fairly easy if you got to them quick enough to deliver a Final Blow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom