• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Am I the Only One Who Truly Hated Skyward Sword?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
From reading the posts on this thread I know you are not alone and whilst there were things about the game I did dislike, the game is one of my favourites.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Feel free to hate it, but MAAAN does it annoy me when I am not given good reason why. Your reasoning is too broad. Too vague. And that's the only problem I think people would have. Other than that, feel free to hate.

I hated how boring it was. But i don't hate the game overall. I still like it better than the Wind Waker, I just wanted it to be more engaging.

When the game was in full swing I found it enjoyable. The only boring parts, for me, where introductions to pretty much anything. The game, a new area, a new plot point. They dragged on and on what with Fi and her interruptions and the excessively drawn out cutscenes

The game died on its *** when I first got to Faron for me personally. The most engaging part was the Lanayru fight scene, everything else just passed me by.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Linearity is also a stupid complaint. People complain that there are only 3 places to go while Ocarina of Time is a "vast overworld with tons of areas!". Out of all of the games to use as an example, you use Ocarina of Time? Ocarina of Time is most certainly smaller than Skyward Sword. Ocarina of Time is just Hyrule Field and a bunch of dungeons. At least use Twilight Princess as an example (which is, mind you, still fairly small). If you look at every Zelda game aside from Skyward Sword, there's one thing they have in common- aside from the hub (Hyrule Field, Great Sea, etc), the world is TINY. Gerudo Desert, Death Mountain, Zora's Domain, etc. These are tiny places, even in Twilight Princess. In Skyward Sword, they are HUGE in comparison. And it's not like when you go back you revisit the same old same old. No, you go to an expanded area, different than the original spot.

The linearity complaints aren't about places to go or the size of the land. It's about the progression of the game. The original Zelda let players complete the dungeons in almost any order, and A Link to the Past & Ocarina of Time have some dungeons that can be completed out of the recommended order in their second halves. Now, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, and The Minish Cap didn't have open choice at any point in their adventures (although Majora's Mask did have sequence breaking), but they had nice and open worlds that allowed certain places to be visited outside of the main quest's path, and the same goes for the other games I mentioned. Modern Zelda doesn't have these options, and Skyward Sword is not exempt. It was much better about it than, say, Twilight Princess, in the overworld department, but the game was still a pretty linear experience. It's a valid complaint against the game. However, there are definitely people that blow it out of proportion.

Hmm, I am just going to point this out lol You say you hated the art of SS yet you loved Wind Waker lol I cant get on you for that. A lot of people were disappointed with SS mainly for the reasons you have stated, plus there was all this hype and people were comparing it to OoT before it even released.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Twilight Princess were all forcing you to do something in a certain order. I see how Skyward Sword is similar in this respect, but then it isn't something that brings the game down comparatively speaking, is it? Because it's been like that for long enough now that it's expected. Sure, it'd be nice for it to go back to how it was- and that is a fairly legitimate complaint- but at the same time you can't expect something out of the game when the previous ones in the series didn't have it (except maybe something that's just modernization, like voice acting, which should have been in SS imo, in fact, it should have been in Wind Waker or at least Twilight Princess).

Just because the previous modern titles did it doesn't mean that it's not a fault of the design. I personally don't think linearity drags anything other than replay value down, meaning I don't consider it to be an actual pervasive flaw (unless it's something like Final Fantasy X or XIII), but it's still something Skyward Sword could -- and should -- have fixed.

I'm referring to the completely ridiculous complaints by people who loved every game BUT Skyward Sword. The exaggeration and the absolute despising of a game for pretty poor reasons. There are faults, sure. There are faults in every game. But sometimes the complaints I see seem absolutely asinine.

I actually gave up to understand or reason with the haters after a while.
Sure, the game is more linear than other zelda games, but while it is linear, the underworld has plenty to do. The sky had almost nothing, but it's not much worse than TP's overworld or even OoT
The controls worked great for me, if it didn't for other people it may be because there's something wrong or they aren't doing it right. Or maybe they just dislike motion controls.
I can see why you dislike the game, but please, stop saying that is the worst zelda game for a matter of fact, your OPINION is not a FACT.

Edit
As I said before, I can't see any reason for people to love every game but Skyward Sword if not for the Zelda cycle, but maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
your OPINION is not a FACT.

Oh, of course. Skyward Sword or any game being the worst, even the dreaded CD-Is is nothing more than an opinion. Some games can just be bad like the CD-I entries were -- broken controls and basically a totally incohesive experience -- but what's best to me isn't best to you and vice versa. This applies to SS, OoT, TP, any game of the Zelda series and any game at large. ;)

Oh, of course. Skyward Sword or any game being the worst, even the dreaded CD-Is is nothing more than an opinion. Some games can just be bad like the CD-I entries were -- broken controls and basically a totally incohesive experience -- but what's best to me isn't best to you and vice versa. This applies to SS, OoT, TP, any game of the Zelda series and any game at large. ;)

I'll trust you, that you're not being sarcastic, and if you really aren't :
THANK YOU

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'll trust you, that you're not being sarcastic, and if you really aren't :
THANK YOU

I'm not being sarcastic in the slightest. I think Skyward Sword is a truly crappy game, that it's dirt -- no, worse than dirt. I also think Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, OoT moreso, are the cornerstones of Zelda, alongside LoZ and ALttP. But hey guess what! That's only my opinion. I don't dictate how others think about SS, OoT, MM or the Zelda series at large! You can think exactly the way you wish, no matter how you may wish. So long as you aren't telling me to think like you, I'm ok with how you feel (oh, and provided that it doesn't hurt others). Free will! Power to the people!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'm not being sarcastic in the slightest. I think Skyward Sword is a truly crappy game, that it's dirt -- no, worse than dirt. I also think Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, OoT moreso, are the cornerstones of Zelda, alongside LoZ and ALttP. But hey guess what! That's only my opinion. I don't dictate how others think about SS, OoT, MM or the Zelda series at large! You can think exactly the way you wish, no matter how you may wish. So long as you aren't telling me to think like you, I'm ok with how you feel (oh, and provided that it doesn't hurt others). Free will! Power to the people!

Yes, it's your opinion, but the arguments you present are illogical and/or contradictory a large percent of the time. And, no, that's not my opinion, that's fact. Many of your arguments backfire on themselves in literally every way possible, usually because you praise one game in the series for doing something but criticize SS for executing the exact same concept with the exact same quality. Others have merit to them but are extremely overexaggerated to the point that it's mind-boggling. And others just plain don't make sense. It's very possible for opinions to be based on faulty grounds, and almost all of your opinions on Skyward Sword are like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom