• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Am I The Only One Who Has Had Zero Problems W. the Wii Motion Plus?

Makar

I am the wannabe Kokiri!
When I first got the game I had major problems with the Wii motion plus and Deku Babas were my worst nightmare. While playing I was in my cramped bedroom only a meter away from the sensor bar.
When it got closer to Christmas my mum asked me to move the Wii downstairs so the family could play casual games together (such as MKW, Just Dance, Wii Sports etc) and when I played Skyward Sword downstairs it worked like a breeze because I was in a wide open space about three meters away from the screen. I don't know if the distance from the sensor bar affects it but it certainly improved my game.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I've undergone zero calibration or recalibration, except for when I'm starting up the Motion+ at the start or had set my Wiimote down for a minute and it shut itself off. Only centering the sensor when viewing maps or using certain items has been my biggest "issue" thus far, but hasn't inconvenienced me. Otherwise it's been flawless.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Did I have problems? Yes, definitely. I'm aware some of it was probably down to inexperience, but trust me, I spent a fair chunk of time about half way through the game really feeling out the controls because I figured I must be doing something wrong, but even after that I occasionally I still had problems so I'm not entirely convinced it's just my "inexperience".

Especially at first, the controls just didn't feel responsive enough in some places, but yet overly responsive in others, and it became pretty irritating pretty fast. When I had the feeling-the-controls-out session, I realised the problem is similar to the problem some people had with the spirit pipes in ST (something I never had much of a problem with but judging by the amount of help threads posted on it, it gave other people a hard time). With the spirit pipes, and with the motion controls in SS, there seems to be a set system you have to use... if your timing/movements are off, or don't fit into the preset pattern Nintendo is expecting players to use, your movements don't seem to register and the controls won't respond properly because you've missed the window (e.g. in ST, by blowing to early or too late, or in SS, by turning/swinging the wii remote to little or too much, or swinging too quickly). It seems that some people pick up on the system Nintendo are using without even thinking, and don't really have any problems, but other people always seem to be out of sync with it no matter what they do and end up, like me, getting pretty darn irritated. I suppose you could argue that's part of the game, and the people who were out-of-sync needed to learn to be in sync... which I tried:

When I noticed this, is was a matter of trying to adapt my movements to fit in with the preset "rhythm", and once I did a lot more of my sword strikes actually made contact. However, I still found it an issue because when presented with a new challenge, like balancing on a rope, or turning the mine cart, I couldn't instinctively pick up on what Nintendo was expecting you to do and it was only through several minutes of frustrating trial and error did I work out how they wanted me to move the wii remote, after which I could start trying to actually do the action, by which time most of the novelty had more than worn off.

And yeah, I didn't realise until I actually played it the amount of time I'd spend re-aligning the controls. It didn't help that every time you e.g. pulled out the slingshot or prepared to fire the beetle, whatever position you have the wii remote in was what the game assumed was horizontal. So in battle, you have to point to select the item, then remember to quickly return to holding the wii remote horizontal again before you used the item... how difficult could it have been for the WM+ to, oh, I don't know, actually remember what position you were holding the wii remote in before you picked the item instead of having a lapse and then assuming wherever the wii remote is now is horizonal. That was a genuine issue with the WM+.

Also, while I'm at it, was it just me (again) or did the actually button controls seem one of the most counterintuitive systems you've ever used? I mean, the B button is a trigger shape, so you'd expect to use that to shoot things, like the clawshot, but lolnope that's the A button. And you know how in pretty much every other Nintendo game, the B button fuctions as a "back" button, for cancelling menus and putting weapons away? Lolnope, now the A button is the back button. The amount of ammunition I've wasted, and the amount of times I've wasted seconds fumbling with the clawshot, just... *shakes head*

I wanted to enjoy SS, I really did... it's just a shame when I felt like I was spending every other minute fighting with the controller, rather than the actual enemies in front of you. I suppose I'd find that symbolic, if I actually had any patience left. But... from the looks of it, most people managed to 'get' how Nintendo were expecting you to use the controls, which I guess is what they were aiming for and so, if you were taking an average, you wouldn't find there was a problem with the controls. I guess I was just unlucky xD

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
it recalibrates the WMP every time you put the game on or if the batteries in the remote go, when the remote is switched back on it will calibrate again. generally it worked really well but there were a few occasions where Link didn't swing in the direction i was

everettkagan

Major SS and Oot fan!
I had no problems with wii motion plus at all because whenever i had aligning problems i could just reassign them on the gear screen and it always works for at least 3 hours for me. I actually thought they could've expanded on the wii motion plus. like maybe they could've made a fake master sword with the wii remote inserted in the hilt. that would've been AWESOME.:)

The only major problems I had with the controls was controlling the beetle and swimming. I never figured out why this happens, but sometimes when flying the beetle, I would not be able to fly it straight. It would either move left or right. When it was moving left, the slightest tilt right would cause it to start moving to the right instead of straight. This was very frustrating, and I couldn't figure out why it would happen at times, and recalibrating would not fix things.

The same thing also happened with swimming, where I couldn't swim straight and would go either left or right. This made the tadtones quest a lot more annoying than it already is.

IT happens alot but it is great overall it ma glitch but don't affect the game as much if having problems just calibrate it again

I had major problems fighting enemies when I first got SS, as I posted somehwhere else this was the first Motion Pus compatible game I ever played but now I literally just completed the game just before posting this for the first time. Fighting Bokoblins is a pain for me as whichever way I try to slice them they nearly always block it with their machetes or clubs or whatever. And is it me or are the arrows not as accurate as the ones in TP? I've yet to beat Fledge's pumpkin game with 400 points, I gave up on that, as I noticed that the red dot moved slightly after each arrow fired even though i never moved my remote.

Mickaroo

Call me Micky
I've never really had issues with the motion controls--the sword stuff has always worked great for me. I just had to master it to kills those annoying Deku babas (I don't know how many times I died to them...so embarrassing). The only times I had to "fix" it was when I was aiming certain items, and that is just a tap of the down button to center it. Other than that it worked great and I loved it! I'll have serious issues next time I play TP, though...

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
I had next to zero problems. For sword strikes and shield bashes everything worked perfectly. However when it came to the Harp Link just made his arms flail from side to side when I wanted him to go to the rythem. I have heard from some that the block does not work as well as when the Wii Motion Plus is inside. Whether this is true or not it could be slightly one of the causes for the glitches. Maybe there senser was not aligned properly the controller could not reach.

I've had NO Problems.. Yes I had to press down on the d-pad a couple times no problem. The only thing that is a tad iffy for me is rolling bombs. It just doesn't work too well for me. I tried flicking, rolling I just don't know how to properly roll them I guess. Is it like Wii Sports bowling? Could someone give me a tip ^_^ Thanks all!

I had to calibrate my wiimote few times but 85%-90% of time it has worked perfectly...I have currently beaten Lanayru mining facility!

The motion controls are fine with me, my only problem is when my batteries get low so it doesn't work at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom