• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Alternative Rock

I don't know about you guys, but i'm super into Indie & Alternative Rock.
f4d07bf8.jpg

So, I thought I'd share some artists that I think are noteworthy in the scene. All of these are personal opinion and we may have some conflicting opinions, buy hey! This is my list. (Still is from the Coyotes music video by Modest Mouse)

MkuPtgb.png

Pinback
bestand_front.php

From San Diego California, Pinback. All around awesome group with a well refined sound, some humour and interesting lyrics, I recommend checking out the album: Blue Screen Life if you want something laid back to keep the ears busy while your hands are busy.

MkuPtgb.png

Interpol
1401x788-86115878.jpg

A more recent favourite of mine, I found them in my recommended on YouTube and was instantly enamored. They've been around for a while along with Pinback and their most recent album El Pintor was released just last year. If you were looking for something to jam to while in the car I would definitely check out their newest album as it's the easiest gateway into their music.

MkuPtgb.png

Dinosaur Jr.
sebadoh-image-courtesy-of-girlie-action.jpg

Originally called just Dinosaur, legal issues forced them to change the name. A favourite of mine to jam to, I love the drumming in almost all of the songs, my boy Murph kills it. Green Mind was the first album I listened to but I really enjoy Farm. Either would be a good listen.

MkuPtgb.png

The Districts
the-districts.jpg

I ran into these guys at a music festival I was at and I loved their sound. They're like 18 but they sound like they've been a band for 20 years or more, they have a really refined sound that you can point out among others. A Flourish and a Spoil was my first album of their's and it's definitely a crowd favourite and for good reason too.

MkuPtgb.png

Mogwai
mogwai1.jpg

Ok, you caught me. Mogwai isn't really an alt-rock band. But I still needed to add them here since they are my absolute favourite band as of right now. Since I spend the majority of my time in solitude, doing homework, working on projects, and other things that needs something to occupy the deafening silence. Mogwai is by fair the best music to just have on while you are doing other things, I constantly choose to shuffle my Mogwai over my entire library. Take a listen to Hardcore Will Never Die but you Will.

MkuPtgb.png

Cold War Kids
cold-war-kids.jpg

Another more recent band i've been enjoying. I saw them at the Wayhome festival and I had always heard their single First on the radio and I didn't realize who they were until the festival. After I got home I downloaded the album that the single came from Hold my Home and I have to say the majority of the songs didn't have a huge impact on me but I still enjoy listening to them none the less. I have the one album only, so maybe check that one out?

MkuPtgb.png

Grandaddy
band-of-horses-580x362.jpg

Too be 100% honest with you guys, I know little-to-nothing about these guys. But I do enjoy their album Under the Western Freeway, so check that one out. It also has a pretty cool watercolour album cover ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MkuPtgb.png

Δ (alt-j)
Alt-J.jpg

Δ, pronounced "alt-j" (because the keyboard shortcut for delta on mac is alt-j). A favourite of mine and many others, they're an English band with some awesome songs. A very new and upcoming band with only two albums. They are just awesome with a really cool sound, you've probably heard Breezeblocks before and i'm sure if you liked that song you will like the majority of their other songs. Check out An Awesome Wave before you check out This is All Yours.

MkuPtgb.png

Modest Mouse
modestmousewide1.jpg

The group that really started it out from me, ever since I heard Float On whilst shredding it on Rockband 2 I loved the sound and had to hear more so I looked them up and I have grown to love them, even Isaac and his dumb silly lisp. They're immensely popular and for perfect reason, if you want to get in on the secret I suggest taking a look at The Moon and Antarctica and Good News for People Who Love Bad News (while my personal favourite is This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About).

MkuPtgb.png

Wilco
Wilco_MassMoca_AustinNelson.png

Since 1994 Wilco has been an exceptional band and hold a special place in my music library. I love the singer's voice just so much. Just check out these two singles before you get very far into them: Sky Blue Sky and Summer Teeth. The LP Summerteeth is great and it's got a few of my favourite tracks right now.

MkuPtgb.png

Do you guys listen to any sort of indie/alt rock? Tell me what you're listening to and enjoying right now ^ ^

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I'm not exactly sure what makes something "alternative" rock to be honest. I don't really like most of what is considered "mainstream rock" or mainstream anything anymore. I always prefer to listen to independent artists. Which seems to be a point you're making if I understand right. I mostly look at individuals on Youtube. Not all of them do rock, some of them do. There's one I really like that loves to do rock but also will do just about any theme you can think of it if fits the theme he's going for. Miracle of Sound. He likes doing original songs he writes himself based on games, movies, and shows.
Here's one of his that he did that feels like it has some rock to it. Only way to really get it across is to share it.

Of all the independent artists I follow, he is my favorite and the one I think is the most skilled.

I'm not exactly sure what makes something "alternative" rock to be honest.
Basically alt-rock is basically anything that isn't considered mainstream (at least that is the way I see it.) There are just some bands in this wide range that have a specific sounds that I enjoy.

(Also that was a sweet video, enjoyed it)

There are 2 rock stations here and one plays this kind of music basically 95% of the time. I'm really not in love with the music, sometimes it down right annoys me... but occasionally it's not so bad and if I was objective about it I certainly wouldn't say it sucks. I think my biggest problem with this music is that I miss more of the old 90's style alternative, hell even miss things like rap-rock, a lot of this modern stuff is just too mild for me. They all seem influenced by retro music in some way shape or form.

Guess I'm getting old.

There are 2 rock stations here and one plays this kind of music basically 95% of the time. I'm really not in love with the music, sometimes it down right annoys me... but occasionally it's not so bad and if I was objective about it I certainly wouldn't say it sucks. I think my biggest problem with this music is that I miss more of the old 90's style alternative, hell even miss things like rap-rock, a lot of this modern stuff is just too mild for me. They all seem influenced by retro music in some way shape or form.

Guess I'm getting old.
Iunno, Pinback, Wilco, Interpol, Mogwai and Modest Mouse are all from the 90's but I see what you are saying. It has been getting fairly tame, Modest Mouse concerts used to be a few hours of a hairy white man screaming at you

Djinn

and Tonic
There were many years when alternative rock was considered mainstream, there are a large number of mainstream bands listed here as well.

But that was never the definition as I have ever heard it before. I have always heard it as the antitheses of gimmick, or stage show bands that got way too popular in the 80's The whole thing was meant to be just people who play music they wrote and not something put together to be a show with things like costumes, lights, pyrotechnics etc. 100% un-choreographed musicians in their normal clothes playing things that were never meant to be put to music video.

I enjoy lots of Alternative Rock actually. Here are some recs:

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Dirty, hard rock & roll, with a psychedelic twist. Ocassionally features religious lyrics, so if that's a problem for you, steer clear of them. Their third album, Howl, is completely different from anything else they've done, with Country and Americana where the hard rock guitars used to be. Also their best album in my opinion.

Spoon

These guys are great. They play pretty standard indie rock, and yet they don't. Many of their songs sound fairly generic at first, but then reveal a twist somewhere that keeps things fresh. Started out as a punk band, so the first album is markedly different from their later offerings. The funny thing about Spoon is that they'll have this moment where you think "oh, NOW they're gonna rock the **** out!", building up all this tension, and then, they just... don't. While this sounds really stupid in theory, it's actually the thing that keeps me coming back for more.

Blur

Now I know that these might sound obvious, but I'm not going to recommend their earlier, popular stuff here. Instead, I want to talk about Think Tank, the album that is the least Blur because one key member is absent, and yet features some of their best, most unique material. Think Tank is less rock than the other two examples I gave, instead branching out to experiment with electronics and African music. It's also oddly consistent (for Blur), featuring only one skippable track. *edit* Also don't believe what Mogwai tell you. Damon's great.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'd say Dave Bautista is a good alternative to The Rock. He is getting bigger and bigger roles in Hollywood recently so if Dwayne becomes unavailable he is a good alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom