• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild All about cooking

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
So do you cook food often? Or grill food? In case you do, what food do you cook/grill the most and what are your fav receipts? Or do you make up your own? Did you ever get a failed experiment? I for sure did after I tossed way too much ingredients with the same elements. I did it also on purpose :P
Btw to see Link cooking is funny!

Assuming you're talking about real-life cooking ... my answer is yes, I cook all the time, and I cook tons of different things. About the only thing I don't really do is sweets (cakes, pies, pastries, etc.). I use everything for cooking though ... stove, grille, oven, outdoor cooking stuff like huge cast iron cauldrons to do huge batches of gumbo or jambalaya, or huge pots to do chicken stock (for gumbo), or boil crawfish, crabs or shrimp ... and even smaller setups for making homemade fries or chips.

I have a couple of grilles ... one gas grille, and one that's a charcoal grille that is also a smoker. The smoker is great for making bbq stuff like ribs, brisket or pork roasts.

All in all, I grew up cooking. My mother not trained as a chef, but may as well have been. Being the oldest of the children, I helped her in the kitchen all the time, and worked for an amazing caterer during high school. Being around great cooks, and being around cooking all the time, I just developed an affinity for it. Couple that with my love of good food, and getting sick of not being able to get either A) what I wanted to eat, or :cool: getting sub-par versions of what I wanted to eat ... I just started cooking those meals myself.

Seriously though ... it's not hard to get the basics of cooking down. The biggest mistake most people make is having no clue how much heat to use, and usually turn it up too high and burn things or just end up with improperly cooked stuff. But once you get that down, and learn roughly what seasonings and spices go together, and which ones compliment each type of meat/food the right way ... it's not hard to get proficient in basic cooking.

Once you get good at that, you can really start playing around and coming up with your own meals/recipes. After getting familiar with a bunch of different spices, seasonings, herbs, etc ... you can start to pick them out of a meal you're eating (that someone else made, of which you don't know the recipe). Once you can identify the bulk of what was used - and since you should realize about how much of each was probably used - you can go try it yourself.

On that note, here's some good advice for someone who has the basics down, but wants to start cooking dishes that they think they'd like, but have no idea how to make them. First, look up the recipe for that dish, but look up at least 3-4 versions of that recipe. Try to pick out the common thread in the recipe, and then look at the differences between them. You will now know the "basics" of that dish ... and with a little thought, you'll know what spices YOU like, and how they SHOULD affect the flavor of the dish ... and you can modify the recipe to YOUR liking. It will probably take a few times cooking it to adjust the balance of seasonings etc. to your exact taste, but after that, you'll get it. Then, just write it down and save YOUR version of that recipe.

I would urge everyone to learn the basics of cooking. It's satisfying to cook your own meals and enjoy them, and even more satisfying to cook a meal for others and have them enjoy it. It also can save you money, especially compared to eating out. Lastly, if you do happen to enjoy it, don't rush it. Preparing the ingredients and cooking the meal can be like meditation and relaxation. Failed cooking experiments shouldn't let you get upset either ... trial and error is the only way to learn, and the satisfaction of "winning" is worth it when you finally get that meal you really like cooked just like you want it.

Here's a few pics of some cooking stuff I have on Photobucket ...

Baked beans with peppers and sausage:
20141116_185511.jpg

Babyback Ribs on the ssmoker/grille:
20150704_1017441.jpg

10 gallon cauldron of chicken & sausage gumbo:
20141220_170319.jpg

Mixing up some homemade guacamole:
null-16.jpg

Baked Chicken Parmesean:
34F3284A-1100-4FDE-B9B3-494F376DF89B-415-000002575A034771.jpg

Homemade meatballs:
CAC959B1-A6DF-4B6A-AD32-C5643F71603F-993-000002988D9261A2.jpg

and ... Some HUGE bone-in "Tomahawk" Ribeye steaks:
20160618_185435.jpg

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I think they were talking about in BoTW, but sweet list.

And yes, I do happen to have failed several times... I'd rather not talk about my many dumb combos...

I've NEVER cooked an elixir, though...

I think they were talking about in BoTW, but sweet list.

So do you cook food often? Or grill food? In case you do, what food do you cook/grill the most and what are your fav receipts? Or do you make up your own? Did you ever get a failed experiment?

I took that portion of Vanessa's post to mean real cooking, since Link doesn't have the option to cook in an oven, or on a stove, or on a grille ...

Well, you have to admit, when you start asking if we like cooking, grilling, or what we like to cook/grill the most ... it DOES sound like you're asking about real life stuff. Link doesn't have ovens, grills, stoves, etc. He's got pots with fire under them, period. And also, when you ask if someone cooks food often, that sounds like real life stuff ... considering that in BotW, cooking is basically essential, and assuming someone doesn't cook often is like assuming they don't fight any enemies, or do any shrines. Cooking, for Link, is pretty much as integral to the game as anything else.

Regardless, sorry for my confusion.

I cooked when i needed to mostly for temperature changes. I never used stamina or power buffs.

Nearer the end i had a massive cooking fest to makes dozens of full heals with 18+ temp hearts so that i could be best prepared for Ganon.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
I'm doing a 3 heart no armor story run... Lots of cooking for all sorts of things here.
lol hit reply! XD

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I thought this was a cooking for real thread. Good thing I checked.

In BoTW I played the game as a vegan so it was plant based recipes only for me. My favourite recipes were fragrant mushroom saute, vegetable curry and salt grilled mushrooms. Not really for the effects they granted but it was just what sounded tastiest to me.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I never cooked for buffs. Only hearts. I found a spot on the map where there are like 300 apples that consistently respawn, so I just make a bunch of Simmered Fruit, and whatever other stuff I get along the way.

The recipe I use the most is 4 fleet lotus seeds and 1 dragon horn for a 30 minute speed 3 boost, but other than that, I like to cook the hearty fruitcake (1 Tabantha wheat, sugar cane, a wildberry, an apple and a hearty durian) because it looks tasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom