• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Alex's Tentative Legend of Zelda Timeline Theory

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
I know I had a thread here for a Zelda timeline theory a long time ago, but have since lost it and feel it has gone beyond bumping age.

That said, I have made a lot of adjustments to my timeline theory since then. A lot of it is known fact, ala direct sequels and creator dialogue. Some of it has been based off of general populus beliefs. Some of it is from my own observations and intrigue. Here is the timeline itself.

...................../----------------TWW-PH------------ST-----------------------TLOZ-TAOL
SS--------OOT
.....................\MM------------TP--------------------ALTTP-OOX-LA

------------TMC------------------------------------FS-FSA

Explanations
Skyward Sword > Ocarina of Time
It is a known fact that Skyward Sword comes prior to Ocarina of Time. The creators of the game have stated so, and have made it an inevitability. Skyward Sword also details the origin of the Master Sword.

Ocarina of Time Splits the Timeline
Any Zelda timeline researcher knows this to be a fact. Once again, even the creators of the game have admitted this. How the split happened is still an odd thing to cover and there are mixed theories. It could have been caused by the Master Sword. It may have been caused by Ganon. Or, more than likely, it was a combination of Ganon, the Master Sword, and the Triforce itself. The split separates the timeline into two branches; the Adult (future) timeline and the Child (past) timeline. We will cover each of these.

Past (child) Timeline
Ocarina of Time > Majora's Mask
There is no debate at all as to this being true, as Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time. We know that at the end of Ocarina of Time, Zelda transports Link back to the past. This prevents the Hero of Time from saving Hyrule from Ganon's return (ala The Wind Waker's opening) in the Future timeline.

Majora's Mask > Twilight Princess
Within the time between these games, there were many changes in Hyrule. Kakariko Village became less populated to almost a deserted state. The Temple of Time was moved to the Lost Woods, possibly merged with the Forest Temple. Though over time, due to its remote location and the changing of times, the temple was, ironically, claimed by time and fell into a state of disrepair.
Other locales around Hyrule were identified and had paths built to them. And, importantly, Ganon was apprehended before he could conquer Hyrule (knowledge of his plans were likely passed to the King by Zelda and Link). He was sent to the Arbiter's Grounds prison (not seen in Ocarina of Time, likely further out and in a bit of a different direction than the Desert Colossus) and was sentenced to death, but was instead sent to the Twilight Realm.
A point of interest is that Ordon Village was established south of Faron Woods and the Lost Woods. This town would possibly later become the new Kakariko Village or would be in close proximity to where it would be built.

Twilight Princess > A Link to the Past
This portion is dubious, but widely accepted. Most people feel this is so due to the Master Sword being in the Lost Woods. After time had almost completely claimed the Temple of Time, all that remained was the pedestal and the Master Sword. It is my belief, given the state of disshevelment of Kakariko Village in Twilight Princess that Hyrule was on a decline and that Hyrule needed to expand.
It is also possible that Ganon (quite possibly a new Ganon, as the former had been slain and abandoned by the Triforce) managed to access the Sacred Realm (or Golden Land) and began what would become the Imprisoning War. As the Triforce had abandoned Ganon at the end of Twilight Princess, it is possible that it went back to the Golden Land until a new person could claim it. And that new person was Ganon, as we see him in A Link to the Past. But he was bested by the Knights of Hyrule and the 7 Wise Men and sealed in the Golden Land.
In this time, the old Hyrule we see in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess was abandoned or became less populated. The majority of the populus, including the Royalty, moved to the location we now see in A Link to the Past.

A Link to the Past > Oracle Series > Link's Awakening
This is also widely accepted by Timeline Theorists. What is fact is that the Link from Link's Awakening IS the Link from A Link to the Past (it is stated so in the Nintendo's Player's Guide for Link's Awakening).
Many believe the Oracle games come before Link's Awakening, as at the end of one of the games, Link sails away in a boat uncannily similar to the one in Link's Awakening's intro. In fact, the artwork of Link from the Oracle games is very similar to that of A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening's Link. The clothing, the hair, the shield. The only thing dissimilar is the apparant age, which could simply be an art style.
It is even stated in the Link's Awakening manual that Link set out on a journey for knowledge and experience so as to better prepare for any new threats to Hyrule. In the Oracle games, we see the Triforce (now owned by Link and set in a temple built specifically for it) send Link to Holodrum and Labrynna. This could be the very excursions mentioned in the manual. It is also stated that Link was returning to Hyrule when Link's awakening took place, and as stated before, we see Link end one of the Oracle games on a boat like the one in Link's awakening's intro.
This being the case, the games may only take place within a two to three year span of time. And this Link, the one from A Link to the Past, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, and Link's Awakening, has been through more adventures than any other Link.

Future Timeline
Ocarina of Time > The Wind Waker
It has been stated by the creators of the games that The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are parallel games, taking place at the same time. That being the case, there is quite a lot that took place in that time.
The Master Sword was removed from the Temple of Time and placed in a special chamber in Hyrule Castle. A statue was erected over this chamber in the shape of the Hero of Time.
As mentioned earlier, Link from Ocarina of Time was sent back to the Past timeline, and was thus unable to prevent Ganon from returning and conquering Hyrule. The people hoped and prayed, but were left without a hero. So it was that the gods sank Hyrule beneath the sea, the mountains becoming islands on which survivors made their homes. As time passed, all knowledge of Hyrule was lost.
Ganon still possessed the Triforce of Power, and Zelda still owned the Triforce of Wisdom, which was broken in two. As the Hero of Time had left that frame of time entirely, the Triforce of Courage was broken and scattered.

The Wind Waker > Phantom Hourglass > Spirit Tracks
All three of these games are KNOWN to be in direct connection to one another. Phamtom Hourglass is a direct sequel, and Spirit Tracks takes place 100 years later, with Nico being the last remaining pirate from Tetra's crew (being at least 115 or more in age). Clearly, Tetra and Link found and established a new Hyrule, making this timeline the only one with two Hyrules (the Past merely having an extending, then contracting Hyrule).

Spirit Tracks > The Legend of Zelda
This is tentative at best. I have not beaten Spirit Tracks yet, and can not speak for the ending of the game. However, other theorists have also agreed to this allotment. Many, like myself, believe that the Hyrule of Spirit Tracks is the same Hyrule as seen in The Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link. More research, however, is needed before I become 100% certain on this point.

The Legend of Zelda > Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
There is no arguement at all to this. It is known fact and has no arguement. Though I will say that while most put these two titles after A Link to the Past, I feel they're more confortable here. I feel that while the creators initially stated, back when A Link to the Past was first released, that it was a prequel to the first two titles, that was merely because there were only three titles out at the time. Though on a pen and paper version I made of this timeline, I did put The Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link after A Link to the Past, but on the other side of the timeline.

Four Sword Timeline Allotment
This is made merely for the fact of establishing the 3 titles revolving around the Four Sword. The order is simply as follows:
The Minish Cap > Four Swords > Four Swords Adventures
The latter two are in direct connection, as Four Swords Adventures is a direct sequel to Four Swords. The Minish Cap is a prequel to both that takes place a very long time prior to the two other games. In my effective timeline, until the games are placed in the mainstream timelines, is The Minish Cap is parallel to Ocarina of Time, Four Swords is just prior parallel to A Link to the Past, and Four Swords Adventures is parallel to A Link to the Past.
That is as it stands currently until they are set into the mainstream timeline.

-----------------------------------------
In conclusion...
I know I may recieve some criticisms about this, but as stated in the title, this is a tentative timeline theory. As more information is given or dug up, this timeline may change in some ways. But as for the moment, I feel comfortable as it stands. Thank you for reading, and I hope you will be kind with your criticisms :)

EDIT: After adding in the FS series of games to the main timeline, I have made a more precise timeline into an image. Click the spoiler below to see the new and improved timeline.
AlexsFinalZeldaTimeline.png

TMC Placement: I find that TMC goes better towards the early portion of the timeline. Hyrule is vastly different and as we see the ammount of age dealt to the temple of the Four Sword in FS, we can assume it has been a very long time. Further, in FS, we are told of "legends" of Vaati the wind mage, not a history lesson. It is possible that the temple would be forgotten/abandoned as th events of OOT, MM, and TP take place.

FS/FSA Placement: This is something I feel can only be done here. FS is the prequel to FSA, and FSA explains how Ganon became the pig demon. He stole the Trident, used Vaati to his own ends, and was later sealed in the Four Sword. It is possible that he later escaped, found the Triforce, and proceeded with what would become the Imprisoning War. So effectively, this branch of the timeline is MM-TP-FS-FSA-(IW)-ALTTP-OOX-LA

Last edited:
This is actually the best Timeline Theory I've ever seen on ZeldaDungeon. I agree with you all the way. I see you've put time and effort into this timeline and took time to explain why you think what you think. Good job, man ;)

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
Thanks :) Glad you like it. I just finished a more measured image to put some space between games so as to allow for centuries to pass. I might add it to the post later in a spoiler if possible.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I'm just going to go ahead and say that the original two games can't take place in "New Hyrule" because they are in the original Hyrule. Notice that they both have Death Mountain in them. "New Hyrule" does not. Death Mountain is a trademark feature in Zelda. I know geography doesn't matter too much in Zelda, but that's really just in placement. Also take notice that Ganon is present in the original two games. Ganondorf died at the end of WW and is gone for good. He didn't have his Triforce piece before he was stabbed, unlike with TP Ganondorf, so he was completely mortal at that point. Since Ganondorf is Ganon, he's not coming back. (Also, they're confirmed sequels to ALttP, so you can't place those two games and ALttP on separate timelines.)

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I also used to place LoZ/AoL on the AT and LttP on the CT. Have you considered the possibility of LoZ/AoL-Hyrule being on the land created by the Great Deku Tree in the Great Sea, instead of in New Hyrule? That would resolve JuicieJ's issue with the landmarks, though you still have a problem with Ganon (which you'd have placing them after LttP anyway).

Overall a very good timeline. I can't see this getting too much criticism apart from your separation of the first three games, unless we want to nitpick about tiny details that don't matter (e.g. I believe the MS is still in the ToT in WW).

Well, placing the FSS on a parallel timeline would be another point of contention. May I ask why you don't put them between TP and LttP?

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
I also used to place LoZ/AoL on the AT and LttP on the CT. Have you considered the possibility of LoZ/AoL-Hyrule being on the land created by the Great Deku Tree in the Great Sea, instead of in New Hyrule? That would resolve JuicieJ's issue with the landmarks, though you still have a problem with Ganon (which you'd have placing them after LttP anyway).
I could believe the Hyrule from TLOZ/TAOL being from a Deku Tree seed in TWW. Though that wouldn't really juxtapose the position of it in the timeline. Merely my wording.

As for Ganon, he has died in a definate sense in about 4 games. TLOZ, ALTTP, TWW, and TP (OOX as well if you want to go that route). Through the series, we have seen at least 2 ways in which he has come back. One was from the backstory to TAOL, where Ganon's minions are trying to get Link's blood so they can use it on Ganon's ashes and bring him back. The other is with the three torches from OOX that Twinrova were lighting. It is possible that he has been revived through either of these methods, at least in the Child timeline. In the adult, it is more dubious. Another possibility is the Triforce. With one wish, Ganon could be returned to his former glory. he simply kills the one who brought him back and reclaims the Triforce. But that is going way out there.

Another possibility, which is always brought up somewhere, is more than one Ganon. We see Gerudo Ganon die in both TWW and TP. It could be that more than one Ganon existed, that it was a popular male Gerudo name. Or the name of some demon (ala pig Ganon) used by the Gerudo for our main antagonist. While many don't like the notion, it is still there.

Well, placing the FSS on a parallel timeline would be another point of contention. May I ask why you don't put them between TP and LttP?
I only put them in an alternate timeline as a temporary reprieve. I intend to put them in the full timeline, but after I have enough input and info to feel comfortable with where I put them. I was initially thinking that at least TMC could take place prior to SS (this would sort of coincide with what Eiji Aonuma said, which most disagree with, but it could work) and the two FS titles later on, possibly in the child timeline prior to ALTTP. The geography of FSA and ALTTP is uncannily similar. I'll have to consider this.

EDIT 1:That said, my timeline when combined with the 3 FS titles would look like this.

................................/---------------TWW-PH--------ST----------------------TLOZ-TAOL
TMC------SS------OOT
................................\MM-----------TP--------FS-FSA--------ALTTP-OOX-LA

That actually doesn't look too bad. I suppose the IW would have to take place between FSA and ALTTP. One theory would be that he was more powerful than the Four Sword, managed to escape its seal, then went into the world to find the Triforce. He did, started the IW, then was sealed again in the Golden Land. This is all theoretical, though.

EDIT 2: Now that I think about it, if the towns in TAOL are named after the sages, the it can only be in the Adult timeline, as the sages in OOT were only in the Adult portion of the game, whereas the sages in the child timeline were most likely those glowing ghost-like sages from TP. That just sprung back to mind, since my brother has been playing TP recently, and I recalled the town names from TAOL.

Last edited:

Zelda's_Child

~Insert Epicness Here~
Fantastic timeline! This looks like it would have had a lot of research to be done!
There's something in the adult timeline that I would like to discuss, though.

Not having played the original Zeldas, I don't really have a basis to stand on, but as far as I know, in TLOZ, there is NO form of technology, and you don't even have a horse to ride on. Wheras, in ST, the game you place right before it, has trains. PH may come into this a little too, from the change from sailboat to steamboat. Yes, Linebeck is in the dream world, but during the very last cutscene, don't you see him off in the distance? That and the fact that his descendant lives in New Hyrule.

Anyway, back to ST and the timeline placement. I'd like to know, how do you place ST, which makes a huge change from medieval times with monumental technology advances, before a game with absolutely nothing? Does it mean that Hyrule forgot their technology, and went straight back to the primitive lifestyle? As far as I know, there are no structures in TLOZ.

Do you take into account the backstories, the qualities, and layout of the land when you theorise the timeline? Not to say I don't like your timeline, it's better than anything I could have done, but I was wondering about this.

;) Don't worry, not trolling!

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
Not having played the original Zeldas, I don't really have a basis to stand on, but as far as I know, in TLOZ, there is NO form of technology, and you don't even have a horse to ride on. Wheras, in ST, the game you place right before it, has trains. PH may come into this a little too, from the change from sailboat to steamboat. Yes, Linebeck is in the dream world, but during the very last cutscene, don't you see him off in the distance? That and the fact that his descendant lives in New Hyrule.
You are right in that there is a lack of "high-tech" in TLOZ and TAOL. But as stated in my initial post, I haven't played much of ST, so I don't have too much ground to stand on. It could be, as Locke has pointed out, that a Deku Tree seedling found a different land than that of ST and in many ages in the future, it was discovered and made a new Hyrule. But again, as I said in my initial post, it is dubious at best, and I need more research into that before I am 100% for it.

Anyway, back to ST and the timeline placement. I'd like to know, how do you place ST, which makes a huge change from medieval times with monumental technology advances, before a game with absolutely nothing? Does it mean that Hyrule forgot their technology, and went straight back to the primitive lifestyle? As far as I know, there are no structures in TLOZ.
In TLOZ, we only see a portion of Hyrule as it was in those times. If you look at the TAOL map, the TLOZ portion is waaaaaay in the southwest of Hyrule. There are more structures, like the palaces and towns. But as I haven't beaten ST, I don't know how that exactly ends. I may have to spoil the ending for myself to get a solid basis.

Do you take into account the backstories, the qualities, and layout of the land when you theorise the timeline? Not to say I don't like your timeline, it's better than anything I could have done, but I was wondering about this.
That I do, as evidenced by the TP>ALTTP portion. I hypothesize (as that is all we really can do without official announcements) what may have happened and see if it fits well. I try not to be very outlandish with my theories because nobody would like the thought of them then. Taking the TP>ALTTP connection, I looked at a few things.

-Geography between the games. In TP, we see the Lost Woods in the south, but in ALTTP, we see them in the northwest. We see the Master Sword in the woods, as it was in TP. So perhaps the Temple of Time was moved to the Lost Woods, but due to the remote location, it was abandoned and claimed by time, thus all that remained was the pedistal in ALTTP. We see Death Mountain in the east in TP, but the north in ALTTP. By those two locations, we could state that ALTTP Hyrule is southeast of TP Hyrule. But why would the people move that way? Next point...

-Conditions of Hyrule. We see in TP that Kakariko is a rather deserted town. Many abandoned buildings and only a few people living there. The Hidden Village is also in such a condition. Castle Town is thriving, but some places (as evidenced by the Goron water shop and back alleys) are struggling a bit. We see in the overworld map that Hyrule is far larger than it was in OOT's time. Some exploration had been done, opening new paths to new areas around Hyrule. It's possible that Hyrule was having a struggling economy and required more land for more excavation of material goods. So it is likely that they came across the lush land beyond the Lost Woods and moved out there. Another possible thing is that Ganon's evil, even after he died, poisoned the land. It's a bit farfetched, but not beyond the realm of possibility in a Zelda game.

Bear in mind that this is all hypothetical, but some of it can make some sense. With a new lush land (ALTTP), they moved the royalty out there, renamed locations (Lake Hylia, Kakariko Village, etc), and settled into a new life.

;) Don't worry, not trolling!
Oh I know :) I wholly expected questions and am happy to answer to the best of my ability.

Added a spoiler on the end of my initial post to detail my somewhat revised timeline that adds in the 3 FS games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, TP does give the reason why Kakariko Village had barely any people in it. It was because the Twilight Messengers killed most of the townsfolk. I know it's a minor error, but those can be taken as a sign of not doing proper research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom