• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

About Bronies...

GoldenGengle64

A v ^ A v ^
The other day, my local newspaper ran an article about Bronyism (the growing young adult [mostly male] fanbase of "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic"). Basically, the article discussed the phenomena, and how it is defying gender stereotypes. However, the article offered little insight from the Bronies themselves. Since I know there's plenty of people on this site who are Bronies, I would like to know why you're a Brony. I don't object the phenomena, I'm just curious as to what makes a person a diehard "My Little Pony" fan. If you're not a Brony, what are your thoughts on the mattter?

Any thoughts and/or opinions on the matter are welcome... just curious to hear what others think! Its an interesting topic.

The My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic show has swept the world in the last few months and with an large group of proponents, there is an equally populous opposing faction. Many are quick to claim that males who view the show are "gay". This cannot be farther from the truth. MLP is a program for all ages with lifetime themes that serve to enlighten people from every walk of life. Does watching The Legend of Korra make you "kiddy"? Certainly not. Some programming is suitable for all ages and audiences.

What characterizes a die hard Brony? Traditionally these people flaunt their dedication to the show by displaying program appropriate avatars and signatures based on it across Internet forums. Many also likely browse the web in search of more obscure information regarding the brand. There is nothing wrong with being a Brony and I highly encourage it as a virtual escape from the hardships of our daily lives.

Dan

Well I think my little pony fans are ****ing insane Different...
I don't judge others on what they watch. It's up to them. Although it does seem more like a bandwagon thing to me :P

I know a few self-proclaimed Bronies. I personally have never actually watched the show, and am only familiar with My Little Pony via internet memes and such. The only real question I have in regards to Bronies is: Do they enjoy it on an ironic level because of how overly cutesy and very not ''masculine'' it is? Or is it legitimate enjoyment?

In the end I guess it doesn't really matter all that much. If you enjoy watching a cartoon aimed at young girls, more power to you! Maybe one of these days I'll sit down and try to watch an episode or two just to have an opinion on it.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I honestly don't consider myself a Brony, but there are two different sides to it. The obsessed; who create pathetic meme's in attempt to show their devotion to the show, but look completely stupid doing it (usually very annoying, showing the bad side of what bronies are). And you have the real bronies; the people who talk about the show and aren't afraid to show their appreciation for it without shoving it down your throat. I'm not entirely fond of the show, but I don't flat out hate it. I'd just prefer it if the show would remain for the viewing of 7 year old girls. :dry:

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Hmm....why do I like the show? Well that's got a few proponents to it I suppose.

Let's start with how I got into the show. I never new about it until about 1, year ago when a couple of my friends started wearing shirts that said "Brony" on it and featured a silhouetted picture of Rainbow Dash, one of the shows characters. Of course I didn't know this at the time. So I asked them about it and they explained. When I heard what it was for I said, "Are you serious? A show for little girls? Why?" They just said they liked it. I ragged them about it a bit but really didn't care enough to be a jerk. Besides if you like, good for you. Anyway, back in March I was at home, bored out of my mind. By then I'd seen the memes and had been told more about it. So I was like, "What the hell, why not.", opened a tab for YouTube, and began to watch. It took me a bit to swallow my pride and I found that it was highly enjoyable.

Now why do I like it? I like that it's a show that can teach deep moral values in an age were drugs, sex, violence, and depravity are shown everywhere and consumerism holds society by the balls. I like the fact that it's extremely well done with good animation and voice acting. I like the pop culture references throughout, things like The Big Lebowski, Lord of the Rings, and the Exorcist. And I like the fun nature of the show, the extremely human and relatable qualities that each character features. Overall it's just enjoyable, fun, and a good show.

Now by A_LINK_IN_TIME's definition I guess I am a die hard Brony, but honestly I don't care. Yes, I look up the memes, fan fictions, and parodies. I have a t-shirt too. It's because I enjoy it. However I wouldn't say that I'm obsessed the way some people are. I have a friend who went to McDonalds to get all the toys when they were in the happy meals. That's obsessed to me.

So that's my reasoning. I don't have a problem with people who don't like it. You don't like it, that's fine, it's your choice. I like it and that's my choice. But I don't like people who actively hate against it. You don't like it, fine, but don't go around hating on it, calling the people who watch it f*gs, pedos, and creeps. Bronies, aside from liking the show, are like everyone else. Quite a bit have a girlfriend or a wife. Some are in the military. The point is, just let people be who they are and don't try to change them or spread hate against them.

I honestly don't consider myself a Brony, but there are two different sides to it. The obsessed; who create pathetic meme's in attempt to show their devotion to the show, but look completely stupid doing it (usually very annoying, showing the bad side of what bronies are). And you have the real bronies; the people who talk about the show and aren't afraid to show their appreciation for it without shoving it down your throat. I'm not entirely fond of the show, but I don't flat out hate it. I'd just prefer it if the show would remain for the viewing of 7 year old girls. :dry:

What about your obsession with Dora Atticus? :P

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I hate the effect this show has had on many. It's okay if you enjoy a little girl's cartoon, but stop shoving it down our throats! It's like people are seeking attention by being fans of the show. The minute something negative is said, people start crying and try to validate their love for it, like if they're being hunted, by saying it's an "intelligent show with lots of development" etc. etc. It's a child's show, end of story. Many people enjoy shows made for children, it's nothing new. Get over yourselves people. It's like people aren't really into the show, but more into the fact that they're a fan of it. All this pushing MLP onto people's faces just makes the entire community look pathetic and desperate.

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
tumblr_lrtzax91AZ1qagb0go1_500.png

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I hate the effect this show has had on many. It's okay if you enjoy a little girl's cartoon, but stop shoving it down our throats! All this pushing MLP onto people's faces just makes the entire community look pathetic and desperate.

Turo is gucci for saying this. :yes:

Honestly, I do not like the show or the fans' mentalities towards the show and hate it gets. The show is for kids, cool. We all watched Sesame Street as children (if you haven't, well...you haven't I guess), you don't see us defending Cookie Monster from hate (we do shower Veggie Monster with hate, though). I'm sure we watched Dora, What's the Story Wishbone, Zoom, etc...we don't grab flame shields and all that stuff.

Bronies in general just manage to make the Internet a place where I don't want to be anymore just because of how they [re]act. Doesn't mean I don't allow them to like what they like, but I'd love if they stopped talking about it in all corners of the webs. I mean, what does MLP have to do with Dead Space? What's the deal with all these ridiculous new memes that, more or less, no one knows and/or cares about? Talk about MLP in MLP related areas. Show your love back in your square, not in mine. kthx

Beeker

Wild Card
^ Exactly.

Bronies are like other fandoms to me. Because of this, I do not mind them because hey,you like what you like. I won't hate you for that. As many bronies say and try to preach: Love and tolerate. They have both a good side and a bad side, like any fandom does. We have the people who love the show and appreciate it for what it is, and we have the ones who try to shove it down other people's throats, the people who are why we generally do not like them.

I wouldn't consider myself a die hard brony, since I don't really watch or follow the show too much(have seen the first season and a bit of the second though, i thought it was pretty good, but after a while I don't know if I'll continue watching). I just like some of the characters and also love drawing in the style of the show. I'm not trying to collect every single toy, make other people watch it and convert them into bronies or anything like that.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I don't need permission, because it's common sense. But that was not at all the point I was making...

What. I didn't even read your post. It took me forever to find that image, which I recall seeing before, and I thought it was perfect for this thread. It was a standalone point-maker, not directed toward anyone. Just so happened that I stayed on this page while I searched for it; so when I finally submitted my post, your post appeared above it. That coincidence only set up a misunderstanding. But it's fine. :)

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
What. I didn't even read your post. It took me forever to find that image, which I recall seeing before, and I thought it was perfect for this thread. It was a standalone point-maker, not directed toward anyone. Just so happened that I stayed on this page while I searched for it; so when I finally submitted my post, your post appeared above it. That coincidence only set up a misunderstanding. But it's fine. :)

It still applies and I still stand by what I said.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
my 'title' says it all
what really annoys me about it is how far a few of those ________ will go to to show their devotion to the show,and what i mean by that is a few tend to draw......inappropriate fan art to say the....most

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom