• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Reboot of Zelda and Timeline After Skyward Sword

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think it is time for a reboot of the zelda timeline sometime after skyward sword. The zelda timeline seems to be very complex and it is quite difficult to determine where each game fits in, and with each new addition of a game the timeline becomes more and more unclear with more and more inconsistencies. On top of that adding on to the end of the existing timeline means Ganon getting revived again and again and although that makes him seem like persistent villain who does not stay dead it also means he is very killable and less credible as a villain until we come to the point where he will become like bowser and doctor Eggman who lets face it are more comical villains than serious threats they have each been defeated probably over 20 times each.

I think a new timeline would keep the series fresh and they could take the opportunity to use Ganondorf more sparingly for extra impact every few games whilst having more new villains and releasing smaller games like majoras mask more regularly with a big game every 5 years or so.

I think with a reboot they could also take the opportunity to implement high quality voice acting in their games. (not for link, that is a step too far) I just know that it will be good when it has been given a chance. Games such as Halo and the newer final fantasy games feature good quality voice acting that really adds to the experience of the games. What recently impressed me is the quality of voice acting in Deus ex human revolution. If done correctly voice acting would improve the zelda series too, even if it was only used in cut scenes or for major characters, and villagers only spoke with text boxes.

Something that may cause a bit of controversy here is I also think they should find an art style and stick with it to a degree rather than change it drastically every single game. Changing art style could be seen as a way of keeping the series fresh, but it also has caused the problem of division between players of the games. Some people love the Wind Wakers ST'S and PH's cell shaded style whilst others love twilight princess's OOT's and MM's quasi-realistic anime style. And you get people who say that their style of choice is better than another's, posting on you-tube and discussion sites about how the other style sucks and ruins the series. The sad thing is these are not just outsiders to the series, but people who claim to be fans. We all have a preference but there is no need to fight about it. Gameplay and story should be the main reason people play a game.

So what do you all think. Should the series get a reboot or perhaps just a new timeline is needed or do you just want Nintendo to contunue with the old timelines?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
In no way does there need to be a reboot. The "timeline" is broken right now, but is easily fixable. It's not like it's beyond repair. All Nintendo really needs to do is come up with an accurate depiction of the Seal War for the "timeline" to pretty much become complete.

the timeline is just fine.... no ned for any repairs or reboots, each game doesnt have to directly reference eachother, subtle hints here and there are just fine, after Skyward sword... a gamein the Twilight princess timeline should be made, hundreds or thousands of years after TP

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
The idea of SS introducing a reboot came up in another thread, when someone suggested that the "chaos" from which the goddesses created Hyrule is the land below Skyloft which is ruled by evil. Here's what I had to say about it:
OoT introduced a new timeline for new games (MM) to be added to (although it's possible that this wasn't utilized until WW), MM introduced a parallel dimension for new games to take place in (though none have yet), OoX introduced two new lands, the FSS may or may not have introduced a separate continuity, ST introduced a new Hyrule geographically separated from the old one... Zelda developers (specifically Aonuma I think) have been trying to create as many possibilities for new games as they can so that they don't box themselves in creatively. It's possible that if we are to reinterpret the classic creation story, SS could turn it into a recreation story. In that sense, SS could be adding an entire new universe that existed before the current one, which they could extend back as far as they want in order to avoid backstories of current games.
Douglas Adams said:
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
In this case, Aonuma hesitates to say that SS is the first game because it's really the last game in this new universe, with the prospect of limitless possibilities for prequels. But for now, I prefer to keep the strict interpretation of creation and assume that Aonuma hopes to make more stories between that and SS in the future. (a universe reboot would make the timeline unnecessarily complex. occam's razor)
I'm not a big fan of pure reboots (there may even be disconnected continuities now), but if they can pull it off in such a way that we can position all the games in one multiverse, I think I'd be okay with it. It might be a little dull and empty at the beginning, but they should eventually be able to fill in the new universe with unique and interesting concepts and events.

About styles, I like how they're doing it now. I think "keeping the series fresh" is more important than stopping controversy among fans. There is one big problem that stands out right away with sticking to one style. It would result in half the fans being twice as happy, and the rest not being fans anymore. I think the most important thing the Zelda series needs to focus on in order to stay alive is to present a new adventure each time. New art styles contribute quite a lot to that feeling. Not only would sticking to one style take away from the variation on its own, but it would also restrict them in other areas such as gameplay and story. TP's story would be awkward with WW's style; TRR's story would be awkward with TP's style.

geek4887

The Unknown
Nothing really needs to be fixed in the timeline, as to their isn't a "perfect" timeline. Nintendo wanted every single adventure to be independent from each other, unlike the Kingdom Hearts series, where you really need to play every game to know what the heck is happening. Zelda isn't like that. Anyone can have their own opinion on their timeline, there's no official timeline as I said. It's just like Link, you are him. Which means you are every single Link for every single game. I'm sure that as "Link" the player can decide the timeline for themselves.

i don't think they should start a new timeline, but i hope the next game isn't linked to OoT. they should make a stand alone game that only cryptically references other games so fans can figure out for themselves where it goes, and i would love it if they tried to tie in the older games better somehow. they seemed to have rebooted the timeline already with OoT and there aren't many flaws in it with all the games since then except for the capcom games, i actually want it to get more confusing but maybe a new game could clear up a few things as well

i want voice acting but they should give the option to just have text, just have voice, or both. that would make everyone happy

as for the art style, i think it's great that they change it. it keeps it fresh but it also gives the games their own identity, and they always use the art style that fits the game perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom