• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A New Saving System in Skyward Sword?

skybird11

state alchemist
i hate having to go on a quest JUST to find a save spot. "kids, its time for dinner." "o crap wheres that save spot? i know its around here somewhere."

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
They probably did it to minimize pausing the game. It's an extension of the real-time item wheel, drinking potions on the run, etc. You can't save while moving, so they force you to stand by a statue to do it.

DinNayruFarore

God of Goddesses
save1.png

save2.png

What do you notice that is similar between the two screenshots? That's right, the bird statue. It may seem like a simple temple decoration, but I think it's much more than that. In fact, it may be our new saving system.

Why I think so:

-This statue only appears near the entrance and boss door of the dungeon, which are both sensible places to save your progress
-The neon parts of the statue also glow, as if indicating significance. This is unlike other decoration in the dungeon
-There is a picture of a bird on the statue, and there are wings on it which may connect it to the theme of the game
-It reminds me greatly of the owl saving statues in Majora's Mask
-The lack of a menu- seeing as your keys are displayed directly on the screen and your shields, potions and weapons being on different item wheels,-may suggest that you may have to save with an outer source
-Because Nintendo have been saying they want to change the common flow of Zelda games, saving in such a manner may add some difficulty yet still seems fun and corresponds with the game

If this is truly the saving system, then I am very intrigued and impressed by Nintendo. It just reminds me so much of the Owls in Majora's Mask, I just want to walk up and press "A" to save. I wonder why Nintendo didn't point this out though, although I believe that they didn't really need to as no one saves in a demo.

Thoughts?

This seems useful, as I always need to pause and turn off the TV to make sure I don't have to start from the begining of the dungeon.

Hmmm...why is one of them glowing, but the other one isn't? I don't recall the game being saved in the live demo these screens weer taken from.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
Hmmm...why is one of them glowing, but the other one isn't? I don't recall the game being saved in the live demo these screens weer taken from.

Maybe, in order to be on the go with a pause menu, it's more like an auto-save feature? Where you simply run past the statue and it saves before lighting up.

Maybe, in order to be on the go with a pause menu, it's more like an auto-save feature? Where you simply run past the statue and it saves before lighting up.
But the other one isn't glowing, while he's much closer to that one, and he passed it multiple times in the live-demo. We'll just have to see.

EDIT: just read Caelus' post. So nevermind :P

8thWonderWorld

I prefer saving wherever I want but you made a good point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom