• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler A New Day, but not a Good Day?

In this thread (my first theory thread… yay?) I’m not so much trying to build a theory as much as I am pointing observations about the ending of Majora’s Mask and its implications. Upon inspection, I decided that the ending to the game is less “pleasant” than I originally thought. Here is why I think this:

(I took screenshots from this Youtube video. Credit to Youtube user FourSwordsLord for uploading it.)

7hmf7.png

3LnaX.png

In this first screenshots, early in the credits, you can see Link clearly performing with the Indigo-Gos at the New Day carnival. There are several interesting things about that:

• It should be Mikau playing. However, Mikau is dead and cannot play. The green tunic tells us that it is Link and not Mikau playing.

• The rest of the Zoras believe that Link is Mikau when he wears the Zora Mask. Therefore, the Zoras are not aware that Mikau is dead. (This is despite the fact that his grave is just like… on the middle of the beach.)

• Link was not invited to the carnival. He instead left for the Lost Woods. So does this mean that this performance happened during the Three Days and not the New Day? No, because you will recognize the lighting from the Milk Bar. The Indigo-Gos never make it to the Milk Bar during the Three Days, so it must be the New Day.

• Link cannot be in two places at once during the New Day because the whole going-back-in-time business has ended. Since Link is in the Lost Woods, that means…

xvt9O.png

Link is not actually there. Look closely! Later in the credits, you can see the bass player, the keyboard player, Lulu, and the drummer. And a big fat empty space where Link was earlier. This has a number of stunning implications:

• Since the Indigo-Gos are performing without Mikau, they must either not care that he is missing, or they have finally discovered that he is dead and performed despite his tragic death. They don’t exactly look like they are mourning, are they?

• Mikau is definitely, totally, for sure dead. It would be one thing if they decided to show Mikau performing with the band at the end, making his death part of Majora’s curse, but it is not. It is permanent. This is reinforced by the Deku Butler visiting the “sad tree” deep in the Lost Woods/portal area, which is heavily implied to the butler’s deceased son.

• Lulu is now a single mother who must raise seven newborn children (zoralings?) on her own.

• Since Mikau and the unnamed Deku Butler’s son are both dead, this strongly implies that Darmani is definitely dead as well.

• Link, while as Goron Link, was elected leader of the Gorons (this happens if you return to the inside of Goron Village after defeating Goht). What’s going to happen later on “The New Day” when the Gorons realize that Darmani is dead AND the “resurrected” version of Darmani is also gone? Remember, their current leader is somewhat senile – he could only remember the first three notes of the Goron’s Lullaby.

Link helped Termina by taking care of that whole apocalypse problem (the end of the world really does put a damper on the festivities…) but did he really heal Termina? I don’t think so. I think that he may have inadvertently enabled denial among the Gorons and the Zoras. By masquerading as their fallen heroes, he gave them false hope that their heroes, Darmani and Mikau, were actually still alive when they are very much dead. What the game doesn’t show you is the moment that this illusion comes crashing down, when the Gorons and Zoras realize that they have been essentially duped.

Link arguably did this for the greater good of preventing almost everyone’s death, but he seems to have left this quirky dimension in disarray.

I apologize if these observations have been made before and I am years late to the party, but I do want to read what people think. What happens to Termina now that Link is gone?

I always thought that was part of the game's purpose. You can see that you helped a lot of people, but at the same time you question whether you were able to save that tree dude, or if you did actually leave the world in better shape than you found it.

Interesting observations for sure, Majora's Mask always proves to have more and more depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom