• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Majora's Mask for Art's Sake

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Yeah Wind Waker had it's dark moments but virtually every Zelda Game had it's dark moments. But I didn't really find the "dark" moments in Wind Waker that dark, because they were in the cartoony graphics. Sure the end King scene was a little bit further, but I think it still would have been even more dramatic in realistic graphics.
I don't know if I can agree with you there. It is a matter of personal preference, but I don't think having WW in a more realistic art style would have made anything more dramatic than how it is now. You really get more of a shock just about every time you realize "Whoa! They put something like this in a cartoony game?" and then nod your head with satisfying approval at the masterpiece before you.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I don't know if I can agree with you there. It is a matter of personal preference, but I don't think having WW in a more realistic art style would have made anything more dramatic than how it is now. You really get more of a shock just about every time you realize "Whoa! They put something like this in a cartoony game?" and then nod your head with satisfying approval at the masterpiece before you.

The thing that made that moment so dark was not the cartoony graphics. It was the color palette. Zelda and the King mostly had the camera on them and they looked very serious. They have smaller eyes compared to many of the other characters.
Ganondorf had a wicked design in the first place. The thing is that if that final battle was done with the normal colors of WW (the colors during Ganondorf's speech) it would have been awkward.

"Whoa! They put something like this in a cartoony game?" and then nod your head with satisfying approval at the masterpiece before you.

No, actually I laughed when they tried to that. I've said before in other posts in other threads that I never had anything against WW graphics, but I just couldn't take anything serious in that game. It was more of "funny" game for me instead of the usual Zelda title.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Ok, WW definitely had funny moments, but it wasn't a "funny game".

Majora's Mask had PLENTY of funny and quirky moments.

Ok, WW definitely had funny moments, but it wasn't a "funny game".

Majora's Mask had PLENTY of funny and quirky moments.

Well, I just meant that the "serious" moments didn't seem so serious to me. It was actually kind of funny to see them trying to make serious moments with those kind of graphics. But, that's just my opinion, and I'm sure many others disagree.

Kybyrian

I can imagine the images you posted being transitioned to The Wind Waker's graphics very easily. I never noticed how easy it was to picture them like that. Like Josh said maybe it would take a bit of the gloom away, possibly?

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Well, I just meant that the "serious" moments didn't seem so serious to me. It was actually kind of funny to see them trying to make serious moments with those kind of graphics. But, that's just my opinion, and I'm sure many others disagree.
And as an American in the free world, you are entitled to that opinion.
:wave: Good for you! lol
I can imagine the images you posted being transitioned to The Wind Waker's graphics very easily. I never noticed how easy it was to picture them like that. Like Josh said maybe it would take a bit of the gloom away, possibly?
Maybe a bit, but definitely not as much as some people here think it would.
MM wasn't a very drab game, visually. There were bright and lively colors aplenty on cities worth of trippy architecture and absolutely silly looking characters. However, it wouldn't be difficult or a terrible idea to give the WW graphics a grittier, dirtier pallet to work with; either way would work just fine, methinx.

I think this game would have looked very good in wind waker style. I can just see toon Deku Link in toon- And anyway, teh way he looks, he's practically made for being toon. I would have liked this game in toon.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
I made an image of what Deku Link would look like, with TWW style graphics.

tww-deku-link-1.png

Is this what you want?
(Here's the original for comparison.)

Last edited:

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Wow. You have blown me away with your madcrazywicked art skillz. Very well done.

Yea, an ingame model would probably look something very close to that.

Really, I can't stop swooning over your picture. Lol.

majora's mask would be awesome in tp graphics in my opinion.....well i am a little picky on graphics so when i played oot it was a little too bulky for me but i got used to it....cel-shaded graphics...not so much..and i would like to play tp in cel-shaded graphics and oot in tp graphics as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom