• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild A Fourth Split

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Now this isn't so much a theory thread or a "confirmed for Wii U' type thread, but I got to thinking. We know that we have the two standard timelines - adult and child (both of which actually make sense btw), then with the advent of Hyrule Historia we procured a third split - the Defeat timeline (which doesn't make sense). Well, using Ocarina of Time as the historia crux, I believe there is a fourth timeline that can be visited: the one in which Adult Link and Adult Zelda stay in that world. Yes, that timeline makes absolutely no sense, but it's just like the Defeat timeline in that it takes place in a paradox timepiece and nothing more; it's a functioning "what if" scenario.

Would it be interesting for the upcoming game(s) on Wii U to explore this theoretical timeline? After all it could turn out like the Adult Timeline with some interesting concepts.

ILU

i luv u
While the third split doesn't make sense, it's still realistically possible (for the series, that is) because EVERYONE has experienced a death in OoT.

The possibility of both Adult Link and Zelda staying on the adult timeline wouldn't make sense because, unlike the above situation, it wouldn't be likely at all. Zelda would have to refuse to send Link back, which would reverse the selfless, kind, and wise personality they created for her adult character. It would negate any and all character growth on her part.

Either that, or Link would refuse being sent back, or maybe even refuse to give the ocarina back. Link would never be that selfish. I cannot see him forcing Zelda to live with that guilt and disallowing her to correct her mistakes.

Now, I do believe a fourth and many more splits are likely in Zelda's future because Nintendo has given themselves a Get Out if Jail Free Card with the split excuse. But I really don't see one where they both stay in the AT. Perhaps there would be another where Link actually kills Ganon instead of disabling him and having him sealed away.... I think something along those lines is more likely to happen.

I'm sure Zelda Wii U will reference the timeline since it's a huge part of the series' mythos... But part of me thinks they might start a brand new one.

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
I don't know, I don't think another timeline would be a good idea. I think the current three are a decent place to work from, especially since all of them have different art styles, tones and all around feel to them. While it would be interesting to see how they would add a fourth timeline, where it would take place and whatnot, I think that it's just taking it too far, some people already find the timeline confusing :P

If there were to be a fourth timeline, I would prefer it be the one where Link vanishes (last time he draws the master sword) because that still goes unexplained. From my point of view (game perspective) you draw the master sword, defeat ganon, then get sent back to before you drew the master sword. What happened to the timeline where Link drew the master sword only to never return?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well to be honest I think three seperate branches are enough, having more theoretical outcomes just really loosens the connections and to be honest it would cause more anger, people are already upset with the hypothetical "Decline Timeline" so by doing it again it creates the idea of unlimited possibilities which is what I don't want.

However I do like the idea of this scenario and even though I wouldrather it not be eexplored I would like to dicuss what could possibly go on. For o e it would probably turn out vastly different to the Adult Timeline, as Link would seal Ganon(dorf) after his escape and therefore no flooding would occur. However I think this Timeline would turn to out to be largely similar to the Child Timeline, it wouldn't turn out to be exactly the same, the only difference would be that the Twilight Realm would probably never come into play. While it does sound interesting to an extent, it would end up following the same cycle.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
More timeline branches???? :s:s:s:s:s:s

I really do not think we need another split. I see no reason to create one.

As for the Adult Zelda and Adult Link staying in Hyrule, that does not seem logical because Zelda sent Link back in time for a purpose. It would completely erase all the nice things we thought about her since she would probably have to force Link to stay behind.

ILU

i luv u
Just a question for those against another split:

What happens, then, when all the gaps are filled? Wouldn't a split be the best way to continue the current timeline? Retellings and remakes can only go so far, and there needs to be new material. The series will eventually run out of room in its current state, and the only choice will be to put games at the ends of the current splits, but continuing down THAT road means that technology in-game will eventually have to advance- probably more than ST- and the series would have no choice but to adopt a new style (steam punk, modern-day, etc.) or take a stab at the post-apocalypse approach in order to set the series back to medievalish eras.

Various splits seem like easy ways to keep Zelda feeling "Zelda". Perhaps even allowing players opportunities to revisit lands and situations like Termina and Koholint, but in different realities. Nostalgia factor + new stuff = enjoyable experience for all (or most, anyway).

Of course, there is always the option to reboot the series. Or, they could just create a new timeline completely (my ideal approach). But, if they are to maintain the timeline we have NOW, how can they NOT be forced to eventually make more splits?

F

Fauxetrot

I would personally love to see a split where the moon crashes in Majora's Mask. Also, I think before that happens, they should add more to the child and adult timeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom