• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Change of Pace

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
*Insert "Couldn't find similar thread" excuse here*

Sup peeps, Random Person here. I was bored... so I decided to make this thread. This thread is for all of us who hate Skyward Sword... or rather, didn't think it was the best game. (I actually don't hate it anymore but I'm still not its biggest fan). Since a year has passed that this game has come to us, why don't we take this time to share some of the things we liked, or some of the things we thought were good, about SS.

You know what... and just for fun, if you do like SS, why not say something you didn't like or something that wasn't good? I'm just trying to bring some excitement to life.

This thread is not meant to be a debate thread, just something to state your opinions because I WAS BORED!
*Please be respectful to others opinions unless they disagree with mine ...which I haven't stated yet ;)

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I loved the game but there is one thing in it I loathed... The Imprisoned II

Seriously, I think Nintendo had a 'Bring Your Kid To Work Day' and they let one of the brats 'design' a boss fight. I say 'design' because The Imprisoned II was the exact same as the first Imprisoned fight only longer, more tedious and more frustrating due to those big wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man arms he had.

To be honest, I hated The Imprisoned in general. 'Demise is super evil guys. Like, he's literally the devil, king of all demons and source of everything bad in history. Oh no!! Here he comes now!!'
*A blob of black scales with benign tumours for toes walks up a spiral so slowly that he is outrun by a family of invalid snails*
'Ooooh, scary! Oh save us from this nightmare...'

:dry:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
One thing I think was good about Skyward Sword--and I complain about the general thing a lot--was its music. Now, I'm not a fan of 99% of SS' OST simply because it feels like background music moreso than music to get you pumped into the action or feel the area you're in, but I won't deny its quality. It sounds great, primarily due to its orchestration. I'm sure if it were MIDI it would still sound decent, but not great. Anyway, I have some favorites among this heap of stuff I dislike:

The Sky - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - YouTube (The Sky theme, made it feel like an adventure despite it not being much so)
Harp "Song of the Hero" - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - YouTube (Song of the Hero, if you remove the harp and Fi's vocals you get the most amazing song that should be played after you beat the Lightning Round)

I enjoyed Skyward Sword very much overall. I have plenty of nitpicks with it - overall I'd give it a 9.5/10 - but it's a great game, in my opinion. It certainly had many positives, but some flaws hold it from perfection, or rather, video game perfection (as perfect as a video game can be).

So, because I agree that SS is not the best Zelda game, here's what I did like about it the most: the narrative.

One of the endless debates among Zelda fans is how important story is to a Zelda game. Many agree and many disagree, but that's irrelevant. The fact is that few Zelda games have very enthralling narratives. All the games besides the NES ones (Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link) have had great story elements, but only a couple have delivered a complete and intriguing plot. For me, the first Zelda to have a great story was The Wind Waker. Majora's Mask also had great characters such as the Happy Mask Salesman, Skull Kid, and those encountered on sidequests, but overall, I'm not too keen of its plot - though it did provide an initial leap into fantastic plots.

This is why I was very pleased with Skyward Sword's narrative. Although it did seem a bit lacking and perhaps even paradoxical at times, SS delivered an intriguing plot that, in my opinion, exceeds those of all other Zelda games. One of the most prominent things that pleased me about the story was the pleasant involvement of Zelda herself; she did hold the classic damsel in distress role for a prodigious chunk of the game, but it was implemented into the plot pretty well, and the scene in which she explained why she had to avoid Link when she did was very heart-warming and the best scene in the game (perhaps even the entire series). I also, despite not liking him as much as some other fans, enjoyed Ghirahim's role a lot. Additionally, character development was my favorite aspect of the narrative. When Fi began to experience feelings for the first time at the end of the game was great to watch. Also, Link himself developed profoundly throughout the game; in the beginning, he is portrayed as a lazy teenager who sleeps his days away, but by the end, he is a courageous warrior who embraces a battle with the Demon King without fear. That was fun to see develop, and reminiscent of why I also loved the plot of WW.

SS had a great plot and excellent characters who both portrayed emotion and development unprecedentedly, most immense of the many reasons why I enjoyed the game so much. Though it did still have the flaws that limit it from being a 10/10 in my book, a rating I withhold from giving all but a few games.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I thought it excelled extremely well in certain places like combat, and said things have gotten it up to my personal favorite along with Twilight Princess. But Skyward Sword was sort of a "one trick pony". Not literally, but the experience was different than Twilight Princess.

To me, Twilight Princess had a pretty good experience all around with only the smallest of flaws.

Skyward Sword wasn't rounded like Twilight Princess. It excelled extremely in some places, but then failed in others. Since this is a thread about the things we(SS Lovers) didn't like, I'll name those.

1) Lack of NPCs in the overworld.

2) There's only one town.

3) Was pretty short considering it took 5 years to make. I expected 9/10 dungeons.

4) Characters disappointed me.

The only good character to me was Groose. I think he's actually pretty underrated.

Fi was a severe disappointment, especially with recent partners Midna, Linebeck, and Zelda.

Ghirahim disappointed me too. I've seen his villain type in so many animes before and he had no development. I know a lot of SS fans are gonna disagree with me here, but this was just not where the game excelled. Zant developed from an imposing, cold, powerful figure to an insane maniac. Ghirahim starts as a cocky bloodthirsty villain who doesn't treat Link like a threat...to a cocky bloodthirsty villain who doesn't treat Link like a threat. That annoyed me beyond belief. Even when he gets beaten twice and is going in his final form, he treats Link like he's some insect who can't possibly beat him.

Zelda was OK...but I was hoping for more after Spirit Tracks.

5) Picking up treasure. The first time you pick up a treasure, it shows a cutscene. Just like it did for rupees in Twilight Princess. This was one of the few flaws Twilight Princess had...you'd think they get rid of it, right? But noooo...they take it and make it 3x as bad.

6) There was less story focus than there was on Twilight Princess...and we didn't even really get to it at all until the very end of the game, whereas TP's story was fairly even spread out, with a small lackluster patch around Snowpeak/Temple of Time.

7) Fi rivaled Navi in terms of being extremely annoying.

8) Lastly, there's some issues with the motion controls. Mainly for the spin attack, but on a lesser scale there's the stab motion too. I can forgive this though since this was their first crack at it. I can't expect perfection on the first try, I suppose.

Last edited:

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Groose. Lets face it, the addition of this pointy haired red head was one of the best decisions Nintendo made to the game and perhaps the Zelda series. I've felt that a third has been needed in Zelda for a long time now. Usually its Link and a sidekick or Link and Zelda or Link and some single other. While a duo can make interesting conversations, like Jack and Daxter or Rachet and Clank, because of the Personality given to Link... you're usually not getting much from him. SS had Link, Zelda and Groose. Three people who could play off of each other's Personalities. Zelda is bossy, yet responsible. Link is talented, yet lazy. Groose is confident, yet a jerk. With these three different Personalities, the characters could really play off of each other well. While they're not done as heavily as they could've been, I still feel they were done great. Link and Groose care about Zelda. Groose hates Link. Link... might hate Groose but is still kind enough to not show it. Zelda bosses both around as though she's their older sister.

Not to mention, Groose was done really well. He goes from being a jerk that annoys you, to being a valued friend, not just a valuable Person but a FRIEND. And the game enhances this well by making him super helpful during the Imprisoned fight. I was so thankful for the Groosenator. He literally went from my least favorite character, to my most favorite.

There are ways that Groose could've been done better, BUT... he was done supremely well nonetheless (which is apparently one word).

Well, as one who really doesn't like SS and prefers a few 2D games over Nintendo's last home console effort i'll dig deep to share what i DID like about this... game.

1. Fi- Hate me now, i actually like what is arguably SS's worst element. BUT, i love her design, i like her voice, i like her reason for being within what passes for a narrative, and her presence in SS even enhances OoT a little for me in the final fight with Ganon. Her interface when you summon her is quite in-depth even if her info is completely useless, she was lovely to watch dance even if she didn't do enough of it and interacting with the Sacred Flames looked quite cool, yes her goodbye is tacked on and cringeworthy, but the theme that plays that bares her name is one of the most beautiful tracks in Zelda. She may have stated the obvious a lot but i just couldn't hate her.

2. Young Impa - Just because she reminds me a lot of my GF

3. ummmmm

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I wasn't a fan of the second Faron portion at all. It only wound up serving as meaningless padding, which is bad enough on its own. To make matters worse, Lake Floria was a freaking hallway the entire time and was an incredibly small area. The Ancient Cistern also wasn't that great. In a game with otherwise fantastic dungeons, that's not too big of a deal, but it was definitely an insult to injury, especially considering how amazing the concept behind the dungeon was.

Oh, well. The rest of the game was really fun.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
I love SS a lot. though there is one thing that i didn't like was that the over world of it felt to enclosed.. nothing like TP..
I didn't like to have to go back and fourth though the sky and back just to go to different parts of the over world..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom