• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Calling

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Watching some movies last night while kissing my arm, I was thinking of a movie called Warriors of Virtue, great little movie I watched when I was young. I vaguely recall a disabled kid who drew comics (or read them?) and imagined up worlds because he couldn't do much due to his disability. Anyway stuff happened and I realized that I just do not have a calling (right now?); I don't have anything I'm good at whatsoever. Buut, my questions for you:

1) Have you a calling? What is it?
2) Do you believe everyone has a place in life, a talent or something that makes them unique?
3) Have you ever felt disgruntled after finding your greatest asset?

I don't believe in callings. I don't believe people are ever "meant" for anything. What profession or hobbies or whatever a person has are entirely dependent on their own choice and what they want to do, decide they should or have to do, discover they're inherently good at, or decide they want to work to be good at.

Really the notion of "a calling" is just a romanticized fantasy version of people simply discovering or deciding what they want to do.

There's a few things I'm good at, but my real-world equivalent of "a calling" would probably be my creativity more than anything else. I feel I am very good at coming up with cool ideas for things in really any creative or entertainment medium, and I think I can come with some unique and/or refined ideas that people would find cool. Maybe that's arrogant, but really any statements by someone about their "calling" are going to be self-appreciative. Really I just think I'm good at coming up with cool stories, moments, and concepts that I like and other people like too.

Can't say I've every been disgruntled about that. I don't really understand why someone would be disgruntled about finding they're good at something?

Nicole

luke is my wife
I partially agree with Axle as to what a calling actually is. I don't believe a person is "destined" to do any one thing, just as I don't believe a person is destined to be with a certain spouse or soulmate. However, in both cases, I would say that there are careers or people that are great fits for a person. As such, I would leave the "calling" part out of a calling and emphasize actively choosing a fitting life path.

I would say my optimal career path would involve something in the medical science field. Ideally it would be as a biomedical engineer, but I've considered careers as a surgeon, neurologist, psychiatrist, emergency physician, or even sports trainer. I've looked into this area of science because I want to help people, and I believe these professions are the way I can make the best possible contribution to the world. Joining the military has once or twice crossed my mind, but I know I don't have the nerve for that. I've been considering becoming a cop, but I still think I could do a better job helping people as a scientist or a doctor. That's what I've wanted to do my whole (albeit short) life.

I don't believe that everyone has a talent that makes them unique. I don't believe that everyone has an innate talent, either. Natural talent is overrated and raw talent alone will not land you in a successful career (or niche if you believe your "calling" is not career-related). You may have an affinity for anatomy, but if you want to be a doctor, you have to study. You might be able to shoot a gun well, but if you want to be a cop, you have to learn the law. You may be good at dealing with people, but if you want to be a social justice worker, you have to put some effort into talking to people and making picket signs and what have you. My point is, unless you foster your passion, your calling, you won't get anywhere. Some people choose not to do so and as such will never find their niche. That's up to them.

Ventus, this question reminds me of the thread you made that asked if you'd ever want to give up a talent. I don't think most people feel disdain for their assets because they are generally valuable. And if they are, most people will try to strengthen another area or just ignore the talent altogether. I can't say I've ever been unhappy about my love for science and ability to excel in that area.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Ventus said:
I want to say 'yes', but I don't believe I have my calling just yet. That being said, I do believe in callings to some extent. I strongly believe that everyone has a purpose in this world, and what comes with a purpose follows a calling. What their calling might be, I can't be sure, but hopefully it leads them to happiness. Though I'm not exactly sure what exactly my calling is, I believe I have part of it.

Mine is for me to make a difference, or at least to be different. I'm already well aware that I'm not like anyone else. No, I'm not an alien, but I know I'm not destined to be some sort of drop-out or hobo. Additionally, I've always thrived for power, or at least the ability to be in control of any situation. I'm sure there are more factors, but that's what I feel it's compiled of: me being a different leader of sorts.

Ventus said:
2) Do you believe everyone has a place in life, a talent or something that makes them unique?
Like I previously said, yes, yes I do believe everyone in this world has a purpose -- a place in life. Everyone has a talent that makes them unique, or a skill-set someone else may not have/be up to par with.

Ventus said:
???

That doesn't necessarily make much sense... So, no?

I define "a calling" as something that one has a penchant for, and therefore seems as though said person is meant to pursue a career based on that penchant. For example, if someone has a gift for art and it makes him happy, then it would be highly advantageous if said person followed a career path that revolves around that. It's "a calling" because one has predetermined qualities that makes them suited for a given field of expertise. "Making donuts is my calling because donuts are tasty!" is an erroneous basis on which to pursue a calling, as no sign of a penchant or expertise is given. However, "Making donuts is my calling because it's fun and I'm really good at it!" serves as a more suitable basis for "a calling."

The mistake that is often made here is that people think of a calling as something that must be followed, but this is not necessarily true. More often than not, it's something that a person longs for when they feel as though they have taken the wrong path in life and feel miserable because of it. My calling is art. I've been regarded as "gifted" in this field, I find it highly enjoyable, and it's great stress reliever. That being said, it would be highly beneficial—mentally, emotionally, and financially—if I pursued a career based around art. A job is not a job when you're having fun doing it...

Also, Ven, what even do you mean by those other questions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die

I don't have a calling. I wish I did, but I've had a few different things I wanted to do, most of which can't work out because of circumstances. I've always been attracted to nursing, for example, but I wouldn't say it's my calling.

I don't believe everyone has a place, per se. That would only happen in an ideal world, in which case nobody would do something like be a dustman or a cleaner, because you can't really have a talent for that, it's just a job. I do believe everyone has a talent though. It might not be the most amazing or interesting talent, and it might be a talent that is shared by a lot of people, but everyone has their own take on things so I don't think that makes anyone less unique.

Of course, I wish I was good at way cooler stuff than I am, but I'm not unhappy with the things I am good at.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I have no idea what my calling is. I believe everyone has a purpose in life. I just haven't found mine yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom