• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Beautiful, Artistic Ending/backstory to a Sequel. Thoughts?

Rate this idea! (select only one)

• Love this idea (like both games a ton)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • like this idea (like only 1 game/ would tweak a few things)

• neutral feelings (dont care, it'll never happen)

• not such a great idea (too complicated)

• bad idea (outright childish/rediculous)

• worst idea ive ever heard (complete denial that Zelda will ever end/ you sound like a dunderhead)

• Total voters
R

RupeeInTheRough

After thinking about how Zelda games constantly push the bar on emotion, character depth, and plots, i devised a plot to take place over two games (one a direct sequel to the first) about 10-11 years apart in in-game time. I also discussed with some buddies that I'd rather the Zelda franchise end with a BANG instead of seeing it force to live forever, eventually pumping out half-baked games like most franchises end up doing (Miyamoto is a genius, but no one lives forever).The part that makes it so different and emotionally artful would be the fact that it would be the first time Link actually dies.
I know it sounds strange and outright insane, but many Zelda ideas have been. Just imagine this:
Our hero, Link, throughout a future Zelda title finds a significant other (just ONE, for a change) and while it isn't directly told to us, its made clear by textual hints that they have become a serious couple (i meant VERY subliminal, as not to distract us from the main story line). Before the final battle, our friends along with this special girl wish us luck and tells us to be careful, as she feels ill and worries for our safety. During the battle, Link is put in a position where he must not survive the battle in order to defeat whatever enemy threatens the world, and with steadfast courage (as he would wield the Triforce of Courage), sacrifices himself; nothing gory mind you, something alone the lines of him having to fall on his sword (master sword or not) because the final boss has him against the ropes. His courage rewards his deed by defeating the enemy and saving the world.
During the credit wheel, we see festivals, statues of Link being raised to commemorate his courage and sacrifice, etc. After the credits roll, and we wait at an infamous "The End" screen for about a full 3 minutes (a long wait because Zelda makers love to hide Easter eggs for those who are dedicated), the screen cuts to a group of shadowy figures covered in robes/symbols representing the Dark Tribe (gotta love those guys) stepping onto where the final boss' body was left with a text to coincide, something like:
"We must wait a decade for [insert religious-type event name]. Only then will his revival be possible."
After which, we get a close-up of a saddened girl, known as Link's significant other, with a slight bulge in her abdominal region (pregnancy isn't new -Twilight Princess).

The basic plot of the sequel would be:
You are the son of the Hero of Courage from the previous game, 11 years old - to stay as a reminder that you are someone's son, and to bring a young Link back into the series - when things start to go astray in the world. You're mother recognizes the pattern of mayhem, as she's lived through this villain before you were born; however, she doesn't want you following in your father's footsteps so that you don't end up with the same fate. Later that night, she is visited by the goddesses who explain it is his destiny, as the new Link acquired his father's Triforce of Courage upon birth, so he may save the world yet again from this villain. You're mother hems you the you're fathers green clothes so that they fit you, and you head off onto a new journey. Nobody tells you it is the same person/creature that your father dealt with, although you know the story of your father's battle. Your embark on a journey to defeat this evil being, along the way meeting friends who were once your father's (ones that played a vital role in the previous game), friends that teach you how to be brave while they teach you of his past. Upon confronting this final boss, he explains that he was the one whom your father died to defeat, and explains that he was a failure; Link doesn't believe him, but the goddesses visit him right there and admit he is being honest. The Trifoce of Courage kicks in (he is only 10 after all, he is frightening to this young Link) and aids you in defeating this enemy once and for all.
However, this enemy is discovered to have played a role similar to Zant in Twilight Princess and the elite Dark Tribe member responsible for his arrival shows himself to you, and you realize you have more work to do (i wouldn't want a sequel to end on a recycled boss). After each of around 4 or 5 more dungeons, you age 1 full year, making you permanently around the age of 16. While approaching the REAL final boss, he summons the ghost of your father - which you must defeat -in order to test your true Courage. You then encounter the Dark Tribe Elite before he wreaks more chaos unto the light world, defeating him (while staying alive). This would effectively disband the Dark Tribe, and all enemies connected to it (many famous ones are) would then be rendered powerless, showing that for a change, the peace in the end of a Zelda game is actually permanent.
I've thought these ideas over for about 2 years now, and i would love to know what everyone thinks.
This sequel would be intended to be a final Zelda release, making the series end in a unique, beautiful way that gives fans closure with all enemies, since most are connected to the Dark Tribe in some way, while boasting a moral around the lines of "pushing the young out of the nest" and a "coming-of-age;" Zelda games have been incorporating morals for quite some time now.
So what are some thought? Good idea, not a bad idea, terrible idea, i'm an idiot? I'd like to know! Even a 1-10 rating would be nice. Thanks for reading my long-winded post.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Hmm, I don't think that's really a Zelda thing to make a mini-series within the series. Spyro did that, but that one works since Spyro is a different kind of game.

Pinkfish11

Korean language student
The only issue I have is about the pregnancy. In TP the woman was MARRIED and had already had another kid (unless your talking about something else) How about Link was already married before the game begins? That allots about 2-4 months before a bulge shows.

This would be a really cool way to end the series; there are obviously some problems with it and many people could find it too confusing.

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice
I like the idea of it ending with a bang but not over two games. Maybe if Nintendo(using a newer device with amazing power) could make a game the size of two but still using the same game. The story would be somewhat related to this and the ending would end with a death to officially end the series. Good idea but not perfect. I like the general concept though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom