• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

5th Gen OU

Hi. I made this yesterday. It was basically me forgetting that due to the fact that this is Gen V now, some of the old ubers are now usable again, so I was experimenting with them.

Deoxys-S @ Leftovers
Pressure
Timid
EVs (if applicable): 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Moveset:
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam

Deoxys-S was among those experiments. I really think he needs a rework, as he rarely lasts long enough to attack, making Focus Blast and Signal Beam useless. His speed is insane, making Stealth Rock and Spikes easy setups, but after the second turn, his low HP comes into play and he's normally gone. I gave him leftovers to try and counter that, but no dice. Suggestions on this one would be great.

Wobbuffet @ Life Orb
Shadow Tag
Timid
EVs (if applicable): 200 Def/52 SpD/252 Spe
Moveset:
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard
- Destiny Bond

Wobbuffet is my revenge killer. He was also an experiment. Once I saw that he was allowed, I was estatic. However, during testing, I found that he really isn't all that useful. His movepool is certainly useful, but doesn't give you many options. I tried to set him up to counter many things I found, but it didn't work well. Safeguard was really just thrown in there. I originally had him running with Encore and a Focus Sash. When he got down to 1% HP, I was to Destiny Bond the opponent's death. However, it's never happened where the Focus Sash has saved me, so I gave him a Life Orb.

His strategy is to switch in upon the death of anyone else on my team. Then, depending on if the opponent chooses physical or special, I use either Mirror Coat or Counter. It's extremely powerful, but doesn't really get the job done every time. Depending on how badly they hurt my Wobbuffet, I use either Safeguard or Destiny Bond. If I don't think I'll die in the next turn, I'll safeguard just to be helpful to my team. If I do, I'll Destiny Bond to kill the opponent.

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Flash Fire
Modest
EVs (if applicable): 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Moveset:
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball

Chandelure is meant to be my Special Sweeper, but it would seem that he doesn't really work efficiently enough. I added him, because he had the highest SpAtk stat of the OU tier, but he seems to be relatively poor at it. I set up with Substitute, but the Stealth Rock and Spikes from Deoxys-S normally leave the health I lose from Substitute equal to that of my opponent. I was going to use Pain Split to sap his health, but it turns out it wasn't necessary. Now I use Pain Split once the Substitute is gone to set up another one. Fire Blast and Shadow Ball are mainly there to benefit from STAB.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Bold
EVs (if applicable): 244 HP/136 Def/128 Spe
Moveset:
- Acid Armor
- Aqua Ring
- Baton Pass
- Scald

Vaporeon is my baton pass support. It's also to predict any water type moves that may come at Terrakion or Chandelure. I normally just spam Acid Armor until the opponent has hurt me pretty bad, then I use Aqua Ring and Baton Pass out of there. Scald is to defend should the need arise.

Terrakion @ Air Balloon
Justified
Adamant
EVs (if applicable): 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Moveset:
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

This was put in to counter my apparent dark weakness, and it works flawlessly. He's insanely useful. I use Rock Polish once while they get rid of my Air Balloon, then use Swords Dance while they hopelessly try to attack, then I Close Combat/Stone Edge all over them. He is amazing.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs
Relaxed
EVs (if applicable): 252 HP/44 Def/208 SpD
Moveset:
- Leech Seed
- Curse
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

I really feel like this one was thrown in there. It's really not doing anything in particular. It's really that pokemon I never send out unless my back's against the wall. If anyone would like to suggest a replacement, please do. Normally what I do with this is use Leech Seed to start off. That way it at least gives me a chance at surviving a few more hits. I use Curse a few times, then wreck with Gyro Ball or Power Whip, depending on the opponent. Mainly I used Gyro Ball, though.

B

Blaze Hero

Alright, this team could definitely do with some tweaking.

Deo-E I've never used so I won't comment on.

Wobbuffet... why the hell... are you running Life Orb? It can't attack. LO does not boost Counter or Mirror Coat. Leftovers on this. Also, why the hell is your Wobb running so much Speed? CounterCoat always go last. IIRC, the only reason Wobb ever runs Speed is to outspeed and Encore Blissey into using Seismic Toss to beat it... yours isn't using Encore, so it's useless to use Speed. Go with:

Wobbuffet@ Leftovers
{Shadow Tag}
Relaxed nature (+Defense, -Speed)
EVs: 252 Sp. Defense/ 220 Defense/ 36 HP
Counter
Mirror Coat
Safeguard
Destiny Bond

Wobbuffet will actually work the way it's supposed to. Yay.

Timid on Chandelure. Like you said, it's already got the highest non-Uber Sp. Attack, at best, you want to tie with other base 80's. Chandelure is much more useful running Specs with Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Overheat, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, HP Fighting/HP Ice. HP Fighting allows it to beat down TTar switch-ins that would come in and Pursuit it, but HP Ice gives better coverage. I'd go with Fighting.

Baton Passing Aqua Ring is sort of a gimmick... you'd be better off running Wish here, since you can heal a great mass of the recipient's HP upon entry if needed, and you can also heal yourself during setup.

Standard Terrakion is standard, nice job. Might go Jolly, I can't recall if Adamant outspeeds Jolly Sand Rush Excadrill when Terrakion is at +2. If it does stick with Adamant.

No. Ferrothorn should never be used offensively. It is such a good defensive pivot, it makes me cringe when people use Curse Ferrothorn. Try this:

Ferrothorn@ Leftovers/ Shed Shell
{Iron Thorns}
Impish nature (+Defense, -Sp. Attack)
EVs: 252 HP/ 8 Defense/ 248 Sp. Defense
Spikes
Leech Seed
Power Whip
Substitute/ Protect

This is what I've used since 5th gen was first launched, and it still works amazingly well. Ferrothorn is the best Spiker in the game bar none. Utilizing it's access to Spikes, you can free up a slot on Deo-E for Taunt, ensuring opposing SRock leads don't have a chance to use SRock off the bat. Leech Seed is obvious extra healing, and an annoying hinderance to the opponent. Power Whip is too good to not use, hitting 3/4 of the used weather Pokemon for Super Effective (the last being Ninetales, and excluding Abomasnow, because Hail is lol-ish and not used), and 2HKOs Excadrill without investment in Attack. Seriously impressive. The EVs give 330 in both defenses, and max HP is a given to ensure the best survivability from any attack.

Overall, I'd say this is a decent team. The problem with 5th gen is, weather dominates everything. If you're not using weather, abusing weather, or running anti-weather, you're going to lose more then you win against opponents that know what they're doing. One of the best ways around this is to not use weather, but have a random Pokemon with Sunny Day or Hail in the wings after they've let their weather Pokemon die (which is common if they see you're not using one in Team Preview).

And there's my wall of text.

Wobbuffet... why the hell... are you running Life Orb? It can't attack. LO does not boost Counter or Mirror Coat.

lol. I can't believe I didn't figure that one out. Excellent point.

Leftovers on this. Also, why the hell is your Wobb running so much Speed? CounterCoat always go last.

It's pretty slow already, I rarely have time to use Destiny Bond. I think slowing it down would do me some favors, so I'll lower the speed.

Wobbuffet@ Leftovers
{Shadow Tag}
Relaxed nature (+Defense, -Speed)
EVs: 252 Sp. Defense/ 220 Defense/ 36 HP
Counter
Mirror Coat
Safeguard
Destiny Bond

Using now.

Baton Passing Aqua Ring is sort of a gimmick... you'd be better off running Wish here, since you can heal a great mass of the recipient's HP upon entry if needed, and you can also heal yourself during setup.

I had wish on before, but, idk. I've been talking to some of my competitive buddies and apparently my strategy was the one poorly setup, not my team. I forget why I decided to favor Aqua Ring as opposed to wish. I guess I'll use Wish, then.

No. Ferrothorn should never be used offensively. It is such a good defensive pivot, it makes me cringe when people use Curse Ferrothorn. Try this:

Ferrothorn@ Leftovers/ Shed Shell
{Iron Thorns}
Impish nature (+Defense, -Sp. Attack)
EVs: 252 HP/ 8 Defense/ 248 Sp. Defense
Spikes
Leech Seed
Power Whip
Substitute/ Protect

One of my competitive buddies told me to run with Gyro Ball + Curse. I didn't see why, but I can definitely see the benefits in your set.

spaffy152

It's what ever
seems like it has a pretty good balance and you made good use of the fire water grass in walls on this team os nice job brasef! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom