• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

31 day challenges worthy or not?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
No, I don't talk about the entertainment challenges. I talk about the so called health or life changing challenges. Like 31 day squats challenge, 31 days diet challenges, 31 days no smoking or alcohol challenges etc. What do you think of them? Do they work? Is it possible to keep it up?

For short term goals I think they can work, but not for long term as most would cause the person to burn out and lose interest. I can and have used them for a short term break in training to break up a routine.
For example, using a 31 day squat challenge / routine to increase my lift capacity, while sacrificing other exercises.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
In a way it can be helpful I think. Of course it depends on the person but it can be a boost for some things to make it a permanent part of one's life. I did the eat- healthy challenge. This means no cookies, candy, chips for 31 days. I got so used to it I still do it today. Only in the weekends I allow myself to " cheat". But because I got so used to it I hardly eat it at the weekends either

I'd definitely recommend smaller steps towards self-change but being more consistent than short-term going all out. The latter is a vanity exercise, the former actually gets you to change lifestyle habits. I am trying to go outside and exercise on at least 70% of days this year. So far I am only just above 40% in the first 3 months of the year, but the fact that I am keeping track and knowing when I am doing well and when I am slacking is keeping me motivated to keep at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom