• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3 Schooling Puzzles?

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
Alright, yes this title is dumb. Check.

So in Phantom Hourglass when you have to find out which of the penguin people, anouki, wasn't really an anouki but a yetti moster thing, yook, I used what I learned in my discrete math class to figure out which of the anouki was the yook. I used basic if then statements and eventually came to a contradiction in each case with the one who was the yook.

Now I wonder,
1. Are there any other puzzles that anyone has used a concept they learned in school or else where that determined what to do in order to solve it? (as my example above)

2. Do you think that all the puzzles could be solved using something like math, chemistry, biology, sociology, etc.? If so how? (excluding looking at the coding of the game, obviously)

3. In future Zelda titles, do you think it would be interesting to have puzzles that could be solved using theories from schooling but didnt necessarily need them? If so give an example I would like to hear it.

I dont think the Anoukis look like penguins...

If only they'd teach block moving puzzles in school....

But really no, school hasn't helped me progress through a Zelda or helped with a puzzle found in a Zelda game at all. It'd be nice if i had an example of when I did but I don't...

It could be cool in the future to have a time where some basic education could come in handy but... basic education falls a lot under common sense and under the how-things-work category that we learn outside of school anyway. Though sure, it might be nice to regress to my education days to solve a puzzle. Though i dont think i'd regress to school, rather a real world problem.

The only time i've used any education (and common sense) is when i tried to convince someone that Zant didnt just randomly 'go crazy' and that the cinematography and the use of sound etc (i'm a film student) all pointed to him already being crazy (really if you didnt get that he was insane before her actually prooved he was insane then i just don't get how you could miss it). But again, i didnt really need to use my film school knowledge to prove he was crazy, its just common sense to tell that he is.

but thats the only example i have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom