• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Biggest Letdowns in Gaming

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Have you ever had a title you were really excited for and it turned out to be the biggest piece of crap which you wish you had never played? Were you ever hyped for a product which upon learning more about you then realised it wasn't going to be for you?
Post these games here and share your dissapointment.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm going to make multiple posts here as there are a few games I need to talk about, but as this is a Zelda forum I will start with...dun dun duuuuuuh!

Skyward Sword!
After the fantastic Twilight Princess which became my favourite game of all time, I was obviously excited for a new 3D Zelda.
I would search for all official information regarding the game and seek out any rumours. One of the things promised by Nintendo was that the art style used would be the one from Twilight Princess. I was happy with that, I liked that art direction. It was the natural style to use following Majoras Mask.

Then there was a big rumor. The Valley of the flood' was to be the title of the new Zelda. That sounded great to me. It would have been refreshing to have a game where link does not succeed for once. However this rumour turned out to be false which was a shame but I hope was restored when the true nature of the game was to be revealed.

The game was to be called Skyward Sword, which was and remains to this day, a stupid name. The trailer for it was crap to put it kindly, it looked nothing like Twilight Princess, Link himself looked horrible. There was not a single epic trailer released for the game like TP, WW and OOT before it, all had received riders of doom trailers however SS was not worthy of this honour.

It was revealed SS was to be a prequel to OOT, a game considered to be the greatest of all time which left the player with so many questions that needed answering. Who were the sheikah, where did bongo bongo come from? What was the hero of the Gorons like who slayed Volvagia?How was the master sword actually created? What were Ganondorfs origins?

SS was surely going to be the game to answer these questions. Aounuma said if you play OOT first then SS will explain some things. So naturally we expected a revelation, what had they really intended to have happened before OOT?

It was after completion I realised we had been done over as fans. We who cared about the story and lore of Zelda. Aounuma didn't have a ****ing clue what was supposed to come before OOT, he was making it all up as he went along, disregarding what had been said in games coming before. The master sword was not made by sages as had previously been explained. link just held a pre existing sword in a few fires and then pointed it at the sky. Ganondorf was a reincarnation of a Demon King who had but a few minutes of screen time. Explanations about the sheikah, Bongo Bongo, Volvagia...not even touched on! The story was overly simplistic adding almost nothing to the lore, a total downgrade from Twilight princess which added to the lore with the Twilight realm and dark interlopers.

The promised changes to the formula. Well that barely happened at all. The overworld was just segmented even more than usual and puzzles were scattered everywhere taking away any joy of exploration. Good parts from previous entries such as hidden skills and the parry attack were removed, problems such as when picking up an insect or rupee resulting in a game stopping message after resuming from a previous save were still present.

For a new game which took 5 years for us to get, it added practically nothing beneficial to the series other than being a new entry and giving me a good idea of what I dont want in the next Zelda. An utter disappointment in almost every way, Skyward Sword was the first mediocre 3D game in Zelda and I am really hoping not to have to endure another.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Skyward Sword is definitely one of my biggest all-time disappointments in my gaming life. I'm a life-long Zelda fan. And that game was just ... horrible. I still haven't beaten it to this day. But you touched on those reasons already. The story, the gameplay, Fi (shivers).

I'll switch it up and say that my biggest gaming disappointment has to be Grand Theft Auto: IV. It was one of my most wildly anticipated games EVER. I preordered it, I went to the midnight release. I took it home, and I played it for about 3 days straight.

Then I promptly returned it, and have never (and probably will never to be honest) go back to the series. It was that bad.

In a time where GTA meant open-world shenanigans, GTA:IV seemed like a step backwards. The missions in GTA:III, Vice City and San Andreas were fun. The world was your oyster. Do anything, any time. Even games like Saints Row did GTA better than GTA:IV did GTA. Saints Row II even made fun of GTA:IV in their ads. You could sit around and watch pretend TV in your apartment. Ooooh how realistic of the game to allow that! ORRRR ... you could have fun and skydive out of a helicopter. Or drive around on a 4x4 on FIRE. Or shoot poop at people.

Instead of fun, GTA:IV offered us baby-sitting. Take your cousin bowling. He'll call you in the middle of a mission. In the middle of you being shot at. To ask you to go bowling. If you tell him that right now is not a good time, he actually COMPLAINS! You have to go on dates to keep up your relationship with some bimbo that turns out is only doing it to spy on you. Eh ... the whole game is just tedious.

It'll go down as one of my all-time least favorite gaming moments, simply because of how hyped I was about that game.

Reactions: Dio
Sims 3. I loved Sims 2 but had one gripe with it - the fact that time spent outside your home didn't contribute to the overall time. So if you left your home at 2 PM to spend eight hours at some park or somewhere, then went back, it'd still be 2 PM. Sims 3 doesn't have this problem, but it had a much bigger one: you couldn't easily switch around between families you wanted to play. Pick one, and you're pretty much stuck with it. I couldn't play the game the way I wanted to play it at all.

Age of Empires 3 was also pretty bad, taking away many of the things that made AOE2 good.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Time for another entry from me...Smash 4!

Brawl was and is one of my favourite games. Its a fun fighter and improved upon Melee in a few ways, improved graphics, updated versions of characters and added a new story mode: Subspace Emmisary which I thought was great. Some of my favourite characters coming together in those cut scenes which looked amazing for a wii game. The gameplay might not have been as technical as Melee but that didn't matter too much.

Then comes the announcement of Smash 4 and I got super excited. I was looking forward to the next subspace emissary and Ganondorf getting his own moveset which was a big complaint about brawl which many shared, surely most of the old problems would be addressed.

It was announced there was to be no story mode due to the fact that fans can make their own videos online now with Nintendo characters... Not to the quality as they would have been in an official ****ing game! Story mode was one of the things I loved about Brawl and it was to be gone. This was a step backwards not forwards!

The time passed and no new characters that I were interested in were revealed. No Solid Snake in sight, who was one of my main fighters from Brawl and no Ganondorf. I could understand if Snake didn't return but why would one of gaming's biggest villains be withheld this time? I thought. Surely they would have a big announcement showcasing a new moveset. It was not until near release he was revealed via a leak where he was shown to have the exact same cloned moves as before. What the hell!? I thought. The leak must be fake.Why tease like that and make us wait only to disappoint?...It wasn't fake. Someone often voted as the greatest villain in gaming was a clone still of a character who hasn't had a proper game in years.

As Nintendo's second flagship franchise you'd expect more Zelda characters. Hyrule warriors had come out and Ghirahim, Midna and Zant had now been in 2 games. Surely that would mean one of them could make it in as a fighter. Sakurai had included characters present in only one game before and we really needed more villains so Ghirahim would have been a prime choice. He has a large fan following, mainly in the yaoi art community, but still a large following nonetheless. However he, Midna and Zant were to be mere assist trophies. Leaving the number of Zelda characters at the same number as those from Fire Emblem. Though as of recently Zelda will habe even less characters than FE!

The whole game requires hundreds of pounds to purchase with all the content. It's gameplay is not noticeably different from brawl, it has no story mode which was a big part of its predecessor. The only real improvement for me is the graphics which aren't really that impressive anyway. There are too many cloned characters still and all the added characters which have their own moves are just a slap in the face especially when they wouldn't make time for someone like Ganondorf who was showcased as having a great movset in Hyrule Warriors. Why couldn't they fix the existing problems first before adding stuff that wasn't needed?

I've played it and it just feels like an HD brawl to me. The game is a ****ing rehash doing very little to separate it from its predecessor like most of the Nintendo games this generation. I refuse to buy it myself and give them any money for this insult of a game.

The only possibly apology I would have accepted is Goku or Shrek being included but they definitely aren't coming so I guess I'll just be skipping out on this one.

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Time for another entry from me...Smash 4!

Brawl was and is one of my favourite games. Its a fun fighter and improved upon Melee in a few ways, improved graphics, updated versions of characters and added a new story mode: Subspace Emmisary which I thought was great. Some of my favourite characters coming together in those cut scenes which looked amazing for a wii game. The gameplay might not have been as technical as Melee but that didn't matter too much.

Then comes the announcement of Smash 4 and I got super excited. I was looking forward to the next subspace emissary and Ganondorf getting his own moveset which was a big complaint about brawl which many shared, surely most of the old problems would be addressed.

It was announced there was to be no story mode due to the fact that fans can make their own videos online now with Nintendo characters... Not to the quality as they would have been in an official ****ing game! Story mode was one of the things I loved about Brawl and it was to be gone. This was a step backwards not forwards!

The time passed and no new characters that I were interested in were revealed. No Solid Snake in sight, who was one of my main fighters from Brawl and no Ganondorf. I could understand if Snake didn't return but why would one of gaming's biggest villains be withheld this time? I thought. Surely they would have a big announcement showcasing a new moveset. It was not until near release he was revealed via a leak where he was shown to have the exact same cloned moves as before. What the hell!? I thought. The leak must be fake.Why tease like that and make us wait only to disappoint?...It wasn't fake. Someone often voted as the greatest villain in gaming was a clone still of a character who hasn't had a proper game in years.

As Nintendo's second flagship franchise you'd expect more Zelda characters. Hyrule warriors had come out and Ghirahim, Midna and Zant had now been in 2 games. Surely that would mean one of them could make it in as a fighter. Sakurai had included characters present in only one game before and we really needed more villains so Ghirahim would have been a prime choice. He has a large fan following, mainly in the yaoi art community, but still a large following nonetheless. However he, Midna and Zant were to be mere assist trophies. Leaving the number of Zelda characters at the same number as those from Fire Emblem. Though as of recently Zelda will habe even less characters than FE!

The whole game requires hundreds of pounds to purchase with all the content. It's gameplay is not noticeably different from brawl, it has no story mode which was a big part of its predecessor. The only real improvement for me is the graphics which aren't really that impressive anyway. There are too many cloned characters still and all the added characters which have their own moves are just a slap in the face especially when they wouldn't make time for someone like Ganondorf. Why couldn't they fix the existing problems first before adding stuff that wasn't needed?

I've played it and it just feels like an HD brawl to me. The game is a ****ing rehash doing very little to separate it from its predecessor like most of the Nintendo games this generation. I refuse to buy it myself and give them any money for this insult of a game.

The only possibly apology I would have accepted is Goku or Shrek being included but they definitely aren't coming so I guess I'll just be skipping out on this one.

Fair enough the complaints, but since when was Smash the flagship Franchise? it has exactly 4 games in it has been going for less years than either zelda or Mario. I'd say those two are the Flagships of nintendo, Smash is a lesser ship in the armada that is nintendos craptastic display lately, yeah it has amiibos but again those are separate things that can function with it, but they can also function with other games.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
oh is it bag on skyward sword week again?

obviously there's games i've been disappointed by...
*curb stomps ocarina*
but as for being hype for games that legitimately turned out bad,i don't have much on that regard

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Fair enough the complaints, but since when was Smash the flagship Franchise? it has exactly 4 games in it has been going for less years than either zelda or Mario. I'd say those two are the Flagships of nintendo, Smash is a lesser ship in the armada that is nintendos craptastic display lately, yeah it has amiibos but again those are separate things that can function with it, but they can also function with other games.

Never said smash was. It was Zelda that I said was a flagship franchise.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Never said smash was. It was Zelda that I said was a flagship franchise.

Sorry dude, saw Flagship franchise and had to comment, but yeah i wouldn't even say 2nd flagship, Mario even now has it beat by a comfortable margin.

But Yeah Smash 4 has been a bit of a disappointment, especially for Single Player. I am not one for Multiplayer at all but i will say it's good from what i've seen and the few times i've battled online.

Biggest disappointment still goes to TFH why the hell would you region Lock the game, i get region locking the Japanese players, those guys have some severely damaging cheats going for them, some of the cheat devices are known to corrupt games others the 3DS, but wheres the logic in Region Locking America and Europe? The worst we have is PowerSaves and that thing couldn't corrupt if it wanted to as the team behind it were the ones behind the old cheat devices for PS2, DS, DSI, Wii and so on.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Sorry dude, saw Flagship franchise and had to comment, but yeah i wouldn't even say 2nd flagship, Mario even now has it beat by a comfortable margin.

But Yeah Smash 4 has been a bit of a disappointment, especially for Single Player. I am not one for Multiplayer at all but i will say it's good from what i've seen and the few times i've battled online.

Biggest disappointment still goes to TFH why the hell would you region Lock the game, i get region locking the Japanese players, those guys have some severely damaging cheats going for them, some of the cheat devices are known to corrupt games others the 3DS, but wheres the logic in Region Locking America and Europe? The worst we have is PowerSaves and that thing couldn't corrupt if it wanted to as the team behind it were the ones behind the old cheat devices for PS2, DS, DSI, Wii and so on.

I may make a full blown post about TFH at some stage as it really deserves one.

I reckon it's to prevent lag, which is sometimes bad enough as it is. I don't want to imagine a game with one player from Europe, one from America and one from Australia.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I reckon it's to prevent lag, which is sometimes bad enough as it is. I don't want to imagine a game with one player from Europe, one from America and one from Australia.

But that's just it, if it was bad you wouldn't have people playing games like Monster hunter, or Smash for that matter, TFH doesn't look like a lag buster.

I can't really think of anything super disappointing, only mildly. I'd say Final Fantasy IX would be my choice, it was forever ago but yeah I couldn't get over how lame the main character was. Coming from Cloud and Squall, uggg.

I guess an honorable mention would be Resident Evil 6, I really enjoyed it but the game still felt like a huge mess of no direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom